Quantcast
Need advice on network hardware and server racks - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on network hardware and server racks

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Default Need advice on network hardware and server racks

I've been asked by one of my clients to fix this.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

There are 2 lines coming into the building, 1 is a static IP for the surveillance system, the other is a dynamic IP for the internal network. I'll try and explain where the nest of the wires go.

The static IP line comes in and goes to a residential Netgear wireless switch / hub from 2007, then out to the camera server. That's it for that.

The dynamic IP line comes in to a higher end (the black one there) Asus wireless switch which broadcasts the wireless throughout the building.....or half of it anyway. The 3 wires coming out the back go to the various hubs to send wired internet throughout the building.
    - one goes to the small black D-Link 8 port.
    - another to the Leviton hub mounted on the wall
    - another to a Netgear FS752TP smart switch
    All the switches and hubs simply send wired internet throughout the building because most offices are desktops. Logging into the network switch I can see there are currently 73 devices on internet here amongst about 20 employees.

There is also a Windows 7 computer there which is only used as a file server and another server used as a web server.

What I'm wondering is what I can replace everything with and where I can buy it. The 2 companies I absolutely refuse to buy from are Hewlitt-Packard and Dell, they have both screwed me in the past.

First is the rack, if I run strictly network components and no server, would I need an air conditioned rack? What if I added a single server? If I decided to switch to a managed network, would a couple of Cisco access points and smart switch take care of that? Would I still need the Asus switch with the access points? Which access points and smart switch would be best for an office of 75 devices? I'm thinking it will be 3 access points total. Can I source the rack and network components in Calgary or would they need to be ordered? Cost isn't too much of a concern, I just want it done right.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Not going to lie, looks like you might be a touch over your head there.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I don't pretend to know anything about networks, I'm a software developer. Can't be too hard to put some switches in a rack though. I just need to know which ones.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Mar
    I don't pretend to know anything about networks, I'm a software developer. Can't be too hard to put some switches in a rack though. I just need to know which ones.
    Oh the words spoken of someone far to eager. This is a massive undertaking of which I would only let someone I trust touch.

No offense.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

wow, that's gonna need a LOT of work.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Once you decide on a switch, please don't post a thread asking if it's the right, one, ignore our advice telling you to buy a different one, and then buy it anyway.
    Please just don't.

For the record, I managed to install an 8-port unmanaged switch into my home network, but I don't think I'd be fucking with a 74 client, 20 employee commercial building. Shit like this may require someone who can provide a full-service solution plus support.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

It sounds like they need more than some cleanup and re-racking. If it were my client, I'd look in to their dual ISP setup as a potential cost savings, quote a new router, switches, access points, a network rack, re-terminating the cables from the wired hosts, and new patch cables for the switches. This kind of stuff is my bread and butter and I've learned to fix it once, fix it right, or don't bother. My next discussion with the client would involve an analysis of their server needs and something to replace the Win7 PC thrown in there.

If you're a software guy, consider getting someone who specializes more in this area to take care of analyzing their needs, spec'ing and configuring the router/fw, etc. I do the same with my clients coding and web design needs. I do what I'm good at (Windows servers, networks, etc.) and sub out what I'm not (anything involving code). A happy client who gets exactly what they need is worth more in the long run than a few hours labour struggling through things that aren't my specialty.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 07-08-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:48 AM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 08:40 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I won't be ignoring anyone's advice on this. I'm also going to make some calls to subcontract the work tomorrow, you guys are scaring me.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mar
    I won't be ignoring anyone's advice on this. I'm also going to make some calls to subcontract the work tomorrow, you guys are scaring me.
    Smart. It's not rocket science, but let someone do it who knows about routing, network design, best practices, segmentation, security, etc. Maybe try to get some personal references instead of yellow pages etc. Almost anyone can buy some shit at Memory Express and make it work, but find someone who will take the time to understand the business and its needs and design a solution that not only meets your client's needs, but is reliable, secure, expandable, and easy to support. Good guys won't be cheap, and won't work for cheap clients.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Make sure you draw it all out and understand what they have before executing.

Than start asking why they need it fix. Small companies like this usually doesn't care and don't have much to spend. Unless this mess is causing outages, don't know why you can't just leave it.

Once you know what you are trying to address then you go start talking about design/budget.

There is a price of doing it right and just good enough. A rat's nest like this will take time, lots of time to clean it up properly without outages.

As long as there's airflow you'll be fine with a rack.

Why would you mount Cisco APs? Useless without a controller. Which a small client wouldn't want. I doubt they would even want meraki either.

Put in a unmanaged switch and clean it up. They will be happy

My Ride

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Make sure you draw it all out and understand what they have before executing.
    Good point, I forgot to mention that. You need pre and post physical and logical network drawings before touching a damned thing. Make sure if you sub it out that you're left with good accurate diagrams and support info.
    Than start asking why they need it fix. Small companies like this usually doesn't care and don't have much to spend. Unless this mess is causing outages, don't know why you can't just leave it.
    You need it fixed because WHEN something breaks, a mess like that is a nightmare to troubleshoot and will result in unneeded downtime. If the business depends on IT to run (and most do), it's worth cleaning up.
    There is a price of doing it right and just good enough.
    I started my career working for cheap clients and doing it 'good enough', taking pride in all the money I was saving. You end up making a very small amount of money in the short term to take full responsibility in the long term for something that isn't right for a client who never wants to spend any money. This results in way too many unpaid support calls at all hours for 'warranty' since you touched it last and it's broken again. I learned the hard way not to half ass it, ever, as it bites you later damn near every time.

The solution doesn't have to be high $$ best of the best, and you always have to respect the clients money, but it has to be done right and be reliable or you'll regret ever touching it. Clients that won't pay to fix it right and won't invest in the things that keep their business running are never worth it in the long run. Nowadays I no longer strive to provide the cheapest solutions or rate, but to provide the most value to my clients and solutions that are an asset, not a liability. It's usually cheaper in the long run to fix it right and fix it once, I'm happier and make more money with less stress, and my clients are happier and more productive and can focus on whatever their business might be. Win/win.

We do this sort of thing all the time. I actually started keeping a huge supply of cat6 network cables in .5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 14, 20, 30, and 50 foot lengths just to be extra impressive with the exact length of cable needed for the wiring closets. Black and red so you can tell uplink from basic run. Also 1, 2, and 3' power cables to keep from having the zip tied bundles.

It seems kinda simple, but when a client sees a mess like that and then sees a setup with no slack cables when we're done they start to take pictures.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Based on your comments I would likely sub contract the work with someone or company with more experience and work with them so you can start to learn some good practises and tricks. Your rack would depend on the current and future requirements as well as space in electrical/IT room. There's lots of racks out there. Where I work, a two post 19 inch width rack is popular.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Aside from the wiring mess, the setup is really basic, my home network is more complicated than that. Mar will have no problems changing it, pretty tough to fuck it up when it's just routers at the 2 edges, and switches behind it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2
    Aside from the wiring mess, the setup is really basic, my home network is more complicated than that. Mar will have no problems changing it, pretty tough to fuck it up when it's just routers at the 2 edges, and switches behind it.

Mar still hasn't told us what "fix it" means. No note on if performance is a problem etc, what added functionality that is needed?

If he just wants it cleaned up that is something a monkey could do with Ikea shelving And zip ties. No Fancy Rack or server equipment required.

Now I don't know much about making a transition from a home power user setup / Small business to more of a mid scale setup but with 75 users it doesnt sound like he needs to go all enterprise on this...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

It's weird saying "I love threads like these" in a Mar thread when you're not talking about the fact that it's a Mar thread.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast