Quantcast
Ban e-cigarettes wherever smoking is banned, officials urge Calgary council - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban e-cigarettes wherever smoking is banned, officials urge Calgary council

Default Ban e-cigarettes wherever smoking is banned, officials urge Calgary council

Ban e-cigarettes wherever smoking is banned, officials urge Calgary council - one had to figure that this was coming and could very well become a very real possibility in Calgary considering our current council...

Come July, e-cigarette users in Calgary could be required to practice their vapourized vices away from workplaces, LRTs, sports fields or playgrounds — all the same places that tobacco sticks are banned.

City bylaw staff will ask a council committee Tuesday to support a bylaw that treats e-cigarettes and traditional smoking the same, despite the reduced health risks of “vaping.”

It would give Calgary one of the toughest prohibitions on electronic cigarette usage in Canada. Red Deer and Vancouver are among the few cities that have rules as far-reaching as what Calgary has proposed, though several other places have enacted or proposed various bans.

The rapid proliferation of the liquid-based devices as an alternative to cigarettes — a cessation aid, vendors say — has prompted governments throughout North America to reconsider anti-smoking policies and health regulations that had never contemplated this new smoking tool.

A 561-person online poll the city commissioned says more than half of Calgarians feel uncomfortable when somebody close by is puffing on an e-cigarette.

“Research has identified compounds of concern in e-cigarette vapour which can be both an irritant and a potential health issue,” a committee report says. “Citizen survey results further indicate that many Calgarians consider vapour produced by e-cigarettes to be a nuisance, which can impact the enjoyment and comfort for people in public places.”

Coun. Diane Colley-Urquhart, chair of the community services committee, said she’s “delighted” by the report. A registered nurse, she first proposed council investigate an e-cigarette crackdown last year. Coun. Jim Stevenson, who earlier opposed a ban on smoking near sports fields, is skeptical they pose any health risk, and that it’s a matter for the city.

“This is the kind of thing that should be done federally,” he said. While Health Canada continues to study how to regulate the devices, Calgary bylaw staff are also urging the mayor to lobby for provincial policy.

At Foggy Gorilla Vaping Co. on Macleod Trail, manager Nikko Casem said he sees the rationale for banning e-cigarettes in mall food courts or restaurants. But a city ban would also prohibit vaping in stores like his.

“We couldn’t really demonstrate what we’re trying to sell,” Casem said of the devices they offer to help get smokers off burning tobacco.

If councillors adopt the change, this would be the second major crackdown on smoking in Alberta in as many weeks. NDP Health Minister Sarah Hoffman announced Sunday that menthol cigarette sales would be banned province-wide by this fall, joining other types of flavoured cigarettes which became illegal to sell June 1.

To the group Action on Health and Smoking, the hazard of e-cigarettes isn’t as much about second-hand smoke as it is about “re-normalizing” the habit for children.

“Five-year-olds think the Muppets are real. You can’t expect a five-year-old to distinguish between a cigarette and an e-cigarette,” said Les Hagen, the advocacy group’s executive director.

The proposed bylaw would prohibit “lighting” an e-cigarette in or directly outside of:

— indoor workplaces

— restaurants, bars and their patios

— playgrounds

— sports fields

— skateboard parks

— skating rinks

— Olympic Plaza

— public transit vehicles and platforms

The fine for an electronic smoking device would be $100, same as for a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe. If councillors in committee endorse the bylaw, it would have to pass through full council later in June to take effect.

[email protected]
    Link to Calgary Herald story.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Glad to see all the other pressing issues in Calgary have been solved so they can move onto this important debate.

And Les Hagen sounds like a moron. I'd love to see his stats on the rate of smoking among 5 year olds.
    Last edited by FraserB; 06-06-2015 at 08:07 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Ford

makes sense. they say its not bad for you. but i seem to recall something similar in the past being said about cigarettes.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

While e cigarettes are a million times less noxious than real ones I have been at bars where friends of friends or whatever have lit them up at the table or people have been using them nearby and it's still pretty disgusting. You can definitely smell them and I think it's pretty unpleasant.

If people really want a nic fix indoors they can chew the gym or put a patch on?

Tbh in my experience most people who use them were smoking hash oil not tobacco anyways.

Though I will admit if they ban these they should also ban people with no taste in perfume.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 11:06 PM.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

We've included them on our campus-wide smoking ban. Can't ticket for them though, since they don't contain tobacco.

Muppets aren't real? Illusion shattered.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Muppets aren't real? Illusion shattered.

Muppets are real look at our council.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Toyota’s

I second the ban. Whether it's healthy or not, it's not a habit you want your kids to pick up and we should make an effort to keep it out of their influence.

Plus.....I can't help but think how douchey people look puffing away on them.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by birdman86
    I second the ban. Whether it's healthy or not, it's not a habit you want your kids to pick up and we should make an effort to keep it out of their influence.

SUVs and truck may or may not pollute more than a small car and I don't like how a lot of them look. The council should exclude them from any area the deem to be "inner city". If you want to own one, you can prove you need it to a committee.

I'm sure we can come up with a bunch of other stuff to ban simply on looks, personal opinions and no facts. Why stop with vaping?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by birdman86

Why do we need a ban?

Why not leave each establishment the ability to dictate their own policies?

Our nanny state city is already busy enough enforcing the thickest bylaw book in the world.

Calgary. There is a bylaw for that!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by killramos
    While e cigarettes are a million times less noxious than real ones I have been at bars where friends of friends or whatever have lit them up at the table or people have been using them nearby and it's still pretty disgusting. You can definitely smell them and I think it's pretty unpleasant.
    This is exactly the reason I also support the ban.

My wife has asthma and all this vapour triggers it, and personally I don't like it either.

Originally posted by spikerS
    Why do we need a ban?

Why not leave each establishment the ability to dictate their own policies?

Our nanny state city is already busy enough enforcing the thickest bylaw book in the world.

Calgary. There is a bylaw for that!
    Thickest bylaw book in the world?

Show the proove.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

It's about time this has come up...

I was getting extremely tired of getting smoke blown in my face while studying at school or even in the middle of a class! Anywhere in public I get extremely annoyed by them

I think they should be treated exactly the same as smokes. I don't buy the "healther" crap. I'm fairly confident we'll soon find out that e-cigs are just as bad or even worse...

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Should humidifiers be treated the same way too?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    Should humidifiers be treated the same way too?
    If the regular built-in humidifier in your home or workplace is putting enough humidity that you can actually see it as a fog, then you've got bigger problems that need addressing.

Something to ponder, a Florida based on-line vape retaler openly says that there are risks associated with vaping on his web site, link.

All I know is if this bylaw does indeed come into being, it can only positively affect me. I've never smoked but was around when smoking and ashtrays at every desk was the norm in the workplace and let me tell you, it was quite bad when I had to go home smelling like I was a cigarette smoker - hell, back then I remember days when the indoor areas we worked in had a blue haze in the air from all the cigarette and cigar smoke. Not to mention the occasional indoor fire in a garbage pail when ashes were dumped unsafely.

As for vaping, haven't done that either but I just can not imagine how it can be 100% safe for the actual person doing the vaping or someone nearby who might happen to inhale some second hand vape vapours - did I say that correctly? I've worked in grain elevators and construction and fabrication and inhaled grain dust or construction dust or smoke from acid paste flux and I knew none of that shit was good for me going into my body. Can't imagine whatever is in the vape stuff is going to be completely safe either.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by speedog
    If the regular built-in humidifier in your home or workplace is putting enough humidity that you can actually see it as a fog, then you've got bigger problems that need addressing.
    Ok let me clarify. Should we also ban mist humidifiers?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

Ok let me clarify. Should we also ban mist humidifiers?
    Then ban fog as well?

They're both just water vapor, no?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast