Quantcast
LF: bobcat operator for a quick job - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: LF: bobcat operator for a quick job

Default LF: bobcat operator for a quick job

Hey Guys,

I just built a garage, and my alley is a mess (even worse than before). With the City not regrading until October and possibly not doing fuck all (same as every year). I decided to use up a pile of dirt I have left over and get a load of gravel to fix the alley.

I am looking for a quick cash job for an operator to come, move the dirt thats on the edge of the alley. Spread out the dirt, then get a load of gravel/crushed gravel spread evenly on top of the alley.

Any recommendations? Was thinking about renting a mini bobcat from Home Depot if I cant find anybody. Just now sure how good of a job I will do

Thanks all

My Ride
    is broken

Forum Sponsor is Gold Rush Landscaping. Maybe give them a call?
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    2005 F350

I think you'd have a tough time finding a legit guy to do work on city property without the proper authority to do so.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Originally posted by SOAB
    I think you'd have a tough time finding a legit guy to do work on city property without the proper authority to do so.
    True, if I can't find somebody I will do it myself.

The state of my alley is ridiculous, I think I accumulate more mud on my truck than a day out in Waiporous or Mclean. The city did fuck all last year during the "city lane repair" and 311 ticket. When I opened a 311 ticket this year, they closed it and said it will be addressed during the repairs in October

So I decided to fix it, so at least all the ruts/mud holes will be gone.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

I am at about the same point as you are with the back alley. I know I won't find someone with a bobcat to help on city property but will probably head out there with a shovel sometime and do what I can. For me its having to ride over them on the motorcycle that is a pain. When wet the tires just slide around in the mud. Would prefer a bit more grip.

Just be careful. Any of your neighbors have an issue with the repair and decide to report you, you could be looking at trouble.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Just throw on a high visibility vest and people will assume you're doing it in some official capacity.

How big is the alley though? You'll need a lot more material than you think you will, every time. Even if you're just spreading out existing material then the same issue will happen without some sort of compaction. If they're fixing it later this year I'd jut put up with it for the time being, or like you said run out with a shovel and spend an hour trimming it up a bit. Anything more than that seems like a waste to me.

Lanes like this are such a joke though. It would take 3 passes with a grader and the lane would be great for a year. Yet they let them get to the point that they're impassive by bikes and low vehicles before they plan on doing something.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

I'd be cautious in using up the extra "dirt" in your yard since it's likely just loam/topsoil material. If you place that down below the gravel (whether you do it yourself or can find an under-the-table skidsteer operator), it'll settle in little to no time, even if you compact it before the gravel. You're better off filling the entire hole with gravel instead (albeit costlier) - at least gravel is mostly self compacting and doesn't settle.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't know what's going on, but the city has been running a grader down my alley every couple of months this year. That thing is in amazing shape. Previous years, they usually did nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I'm not too concerned about the neighbor behind me. He actually moved ALOT of gravel that was in his backyard (he just moved in last year). He mentioned that he wouldn't mind getting rid of that gravel, and for us to use it in the alley.

Found someone and will be quoting me today. Will update you guys.

PM me if you know someone, or if you are interested in doing this for me.

I just call the city and a week or two later a grader is rolling through the alley. It's been this way for the last three years. Your second call is to your alderman if the city does not fill the order. I've no idea who my alderman is, never needed to make the call. I'd not hesitate for a second to do it though. That's what they exist.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    I just call the city and a week or two later a grader is rolling through the alley. It's been this way for the last three years. Your second call is to your alderman if the city does not fill the order. I've no idea who my alderman is, never needed to make the call. I'd not hesitate for a second to do it though. That's what they exist.
    Good to know.

My community isn't scheduled for city lane repair till October. I don't know if I can wait that long. I constantly have to pressure wash, or sweep all the mud in my garage.

Last year, I saw the grader drive through and did fuck all when it actually needed repair