Quantcast
Floating down bow river south of 22, to Carseland - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Floating down bow river south of 22, to Carseland

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Question Floating down bow river south of 22, to Carseland

First off, don't kill me, I'm posting this from my phone, but alas with searching I didn't find any relevant threads about this in particular.

(To avoid a long back story, no we don't want to do any rafting within the Calgary city limits).

So with a pile of friends from out of town, that I wanted to go rafting with, I was hoping to start at the edge of the city limits (such as 22X) and continue on south possibly down to Carseland, or start even in (let's say) Canmore and end up by COP.

Anybody with experience doing this? Not too sure where to park or what the route is like, as I've never done this before. All my unguided rafting comes from Princess Island park to where we live by the east end of Canyon meadows drive SE.

Just hoping to spend two to three hours in the water, without much if any rapids as it'll be a 6 person raft with limited maneuverability. Nice scenery would be much appreciated, so would starting beyond ghost lake be the best bet? Entirely new at this. I'm sorry for the n00b like questions.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

For paddlers but floaters apply as well ... ghost to Cochrane apparently is a full day.

http://www.paddlingabc.com/riverwiki...am_to_cochrane

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

22x to carseland took us about 5hrs in canoes... was super boring water.

dont think you can do canmore to COP... that would be insanely long and i think there is a dam in the way.

can do banff to canmore (drop in right after the falls near the golf course) this is ~4hr, BUT depending on the flow its pretty crazy for crappy rafts.

ghost to cochrane is a decent one, should fit within your time frame too... or you can always flow the sheep down near okotoks, havent done it in years so couldnt give you in and out puts

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There are a lot of entry and exit points south of town.

Firstly, you are underestimating the distances. 22x (AKA Fish Creek boat launch) to carsland is a hell of a lot more than 3 hours, maybe eight? I've never gone that far, but eventually you hit the reservoir, and are in for a lot of paddling to get to the launch.

Also, upstream of Calgary, there are several dams in teh river. Bearspaw, Ghost, seebee. You can't float over those . . .
    On that side, I have put in on the lower side of Ghost and floated to Cochrane before. That is a pretty ride. Can't recall how long it took, but something like three hours.

I think you can buy it at MEC, there is a guide put out by the canoe clubs that outlines the various access points, and approximate times between them. That's what you need. You should call them or stop by to chat with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    550i, X5

I haven't tried it post-flood, so it could be completely different now...
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride

^ k I'll go and buy that guide today then, thank you for that. I had no idea it existed. K so it looks like Ghost to Cochrane would be the best bet, yeah I figured 22X to Carseland would be catastrophically boring leave alone 8 hours of boring (thought it was a 4 hour hitch), but I think the first choice would be great. If it could be done in that, then that's ideal. Yeah 2-5 hours is great. Anymore then 5-6 and it can get to be a bit much of the same thing.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Dad and I fished from McKinnon Flats to Carseland. It was a good 10 hours, but we stopped a lot along the way to fish. The last leg was really boring and even had to paddle it was so slow.

Here are other float times:

Bow River Float Times

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

there is also a service road for a pipeline that is closer to cochrane if you want to shorten that one up a bit

My Ride

^ k I'm at the hospital right now getting a splint for a broken finger, after this I'll head down to MEC and pick up that book and see what they have to say. Thanks a ton for the help so far everyone. Next time there is a big beyond meet, supper is on me.

Just a bit nervous with the whole dam aspect. Normally I've always traversed the bow in Calgary, and it was quite easy to spot and go around the dam as it's so well traversed. On a new part of the river, I just hope there is as much warning as other places.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 07-15-2015 at 11:39 AM.

I enjoyed starting under graves bridge at Glenmore and Deerfoot. Plenty of the float is within Fish Creek park. Then get out at Fish Creek boat launch, just before 22x. Think its about 2.5 hrs. And you can even head over to Sikome Lake for a 'warmer' dip/swim, to possibly wear off some of that boozin. I think you can rent good size inflatable rafts from UofC.

My Ride
    EG6

Police to Makinnon Flats is really nice, or Mak to Carsland. Both are good full days, with lots of slow water and fast runs. You can use Bow River Shuttles to move your car so at the end of the day it's pack and go, no spending all that time waiting in the morning to move cars around.

If your fishing bring rapellas and spoons. Or bring 1000 flies and use 6....
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Didn't that shuttle company (Bow river shuttles) shut down? Or was it a different one? The one my buddy used on the regular is closed for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    EG6

One of the shuttle services shut it's doors but bow river shuttles is still going strong
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

The book you want to pick up is Mark Lund's Guide for Alberta Paddlers
    http://members.shaw.ca/marksguide/
    ^ this is his website.
    I've taken lessons and paddled plenty with him and he knows his stuff. Keep in mind things have changed since the flood.

22x to Carseland is a good beginner float on a very large wide slow moving river. Be prepared to take out prior to the provincial park as you will see the sings for the Carseland weir.

Ghost Dam to Cochrane is very nice day trip (about 4-5 hours) closer to 5 if your floating and not paddling. The put in at the dam is a long haul to the river and you will need to drop your raft down the hill. Get wheels is you can to help get it down. You can cut the trip by an hour if you put in at the gas plant. Also a great lunch stop is at Wildcat island it's about half way.
    (I'm paddling this stretch this Saturday with a group of canoes from Bow Waters Canoe Club)

Canmore to Cochrane is a no go. Not only are there dams (Sebee, Poccatarra, Ghost) You have a massive log jam just east of Canmore around Dead Man's Flats. If you look at the bow river in this area on Google earth you can see just how massive this log jam death trap is.
    It's doable and I've done it in a tandem canoe but you have to know how to get around it by paddling up river in the small channels around the log jam. NOT FOR BEGINNERS!!!!!

Banff to Canmore is NOT a float or a beginner paddle. There are log jams on Hoodoo corner and plenty of fast moving water on the corners and sweepers and strainers. You need to be able to maneuver your raft to avoid these. Things have changed since the flood.

A good run through the city is Baker Park boat launch to the 12th street bridge or to MacKay Point if you want a shorter run. Just keep in mind the river gets pushy around the 10th street bridge and you will need to paddle. But it's a great trip.

Anyhow lots of options!!!
    Cheers,
    Yolanda

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Bow River Shuttles did shut down. Mel Franklin's Calgary Bow River Shuttles is still open.

Yes, it's very confusing.

22x - still in the city limits until you hit deerfoot extender. Have your lifejackets on and be prepared for the fire boat to bug you.

I'd do 22x to Mackinnon Flats if you want a semi-long float, and nice scenery. Nothing too crazy to run into. Pretty much a straight shot now.

My Ride

^K I'll check out the 22X to Mackinnon then, sounds decent.

Hmm, thanks Yolanda, alright I'll scope out the gas plant to Cochrane, seems like a good bet. Frick I forgot it in Calgary but I picked up a book by Ales (long [Netherlands based] last name) about rivers and canoeing in southern Alberta yesterday.

Yeah the few friends I'm going with probably aren't overly experienced with navigating rivers, so the easier the better.

Once again, thanks

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Make sure you have some paddles or oars just to not get bounced into the banks. Try to stay off the bank or the anglers will be pissed (ex-guide speaking). Just don't be dumb and watch where you're going.

If you want shorter, can put in at Policemens flats, but you'll have to paddle semi hard right off the bat to avoid the trees down the bank.

Take a look at Bing maps. There maps have been updated since the flood (googles haven't)

How policed are these areas? If I want to float I would like to have a few beers. Not get smashed, but enjoy the trip. In Calgary it's too much hassle because of the level of enforcement. Is it different outside of the city?

My Ride

^ it's the police presence thats the entire reason we're avoiding inside the city limits. We bought a few beers last time I went two years ago with my brother and I, and ended up with $600/fines each. Not only that because our "bailing device" didn't meet their standards, that was the end for us, had to pack everythig up and taxi it back to the car we left at Princess island. All that work and we were on the water for perhaps 10 minutes. so won't be doing that again. I've talked to a handful of others that raft outside the city and nobody bothers them, so that's what I'm after.

Yes we have a ton of oars left over for the 6 person raft this time. Bouncing off the shores is incredibly dangerous. So we've never done that. Not only that but in the high pedistrian ttaffic areas such as shores, there may be broken glass in the shallow areas, so that's another reason why.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 07-18-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast