Quantcast
Floating down bow river south of 22, to Carseland - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Floating down bow river south of 22, to Carseland

Originally posted by Nitro5
    How policed are these areas? If I want to float I would like to have a few beers. Not get smashed, but enjoy the trip. In Calgary it's too much hassle because of the level of enforcement. Is it different outside of the city?
    The rules within Alberta are "Alcohol may be consumed on board a boat in Alberta so long as the boat is equipped with a permanent toilet, cooking facilities, sleeping facilities and it is anchored or docked."

Probably more comes down to how much law enforcement is out and about where you might happen to be - I've consumed a number of drinks in the past on smaller fishing boats or ski boats but then I've never had any interaction with any type of law enforcement while in any type of floating vessel over the 5+ decades I've been around.

So it comes down to how much law enforcement there is on the Bow River outside of Calgary's city limits.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^so it's okay to drink on a docked or anchored houseboat basically, no less.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Thats what turned us right off from floating on the Bow. First time we went, we had a cooler stocked with snacks, fruit, water and beer. Plus our life jackets in the boat (not worn). Floated past several cops who would ask for our life jackets. I held them up, he gave us a smile and "thumbs up" and we carried on.

Ever since I've heard about the crack down I can't be bothered to even try. I'm so tired of the rules getting more and more stringent only because of Darwin idiots and douchebags.

When we rent a pontoon boat in BC, the only thing the rental company tells us is "don't have the skipper drunk, or drinking while operating". Everyone else is fine. So we spend the whole day eating and drinking. The vessel doesn't meet the requirements that are listed above, so I guess we've been either lucky, or the boat-cops don't worry too much about a family on a pontoon boat.

Sick of getting "ruled" to death in today's politically correct world.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^so it's okay to drink on a docked or anchored houseboat basically, no less.
    Or a cabin cruiser or sailboat that meets the requirements - certainly there's no vessel you can put on the Bow River in the near vicinity of Calgary that would be legal to drink on.

My Ride

Yeah Dave I had the same experiences many years ago, as my bro and I (and others) have been doing this for almost 10 years now, we had much the same stories, it was all good. Fast forward, asides from a few beers in the cooler, and not much else, we got bent over pretty hardcore that day. I know damn near anything on the bow is somehow unlawful, but without the CFD breathing down our necks, I'm not too worried.

Kind of a shame, on a hot day nothing beats seeing Calgary from the river with good friends.... but it's just not worth any chance of a repeat of last time.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 07-18-2015 at 11:46 AM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 12:48 PM.

My Ride
    EG6

Haha, we run a beg drift boat in the NW and both the cops and fire boats go way around. They all give a wave and haul ass out. When I take my wife out I use my pontoon and tie her boat (canadian tire dingy) to mine and the same thing. It seams to me that if you invest in a fly fishing boat it brainwashed them into thinking your "responsible"...but I have also seen I guy in a dingy with a 36 pack in his bear gut.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

Yes within city limits your going to run into the fire department/police enforcing the rules of the river. Personally I don't mind them being there and enforcing the rules, unfortunately there are individuals who have no place being on the water and those are the ones that ruin it for the rest of us. I can understand why they enforce it within the city. I've watched people with no clue go down the river left through Harvies Passage (prior flood) and their rafts get stuck in the holes and they can't get out until the raft finally flipped and now they are swimming thought the next two drops. Luckily none of them where keepers and would flush people out. Just too many that don't respect the river and have any understanding of how dangerous moving water can be.

That being said we paddled Ghost Dam to Cochrane this past Saturday and it was busy on the river. Lots of rafts, dingy and canoes/kayaks. We only saw two fish and wildlife officers on seados checking fishing license. Good stretch if your looking for semi intermediate float with no fire/police presence. Keep in mind there are a few rapids with the largest being the gas plant rapids. Everything is avoidable though if you don't want to run it.

My Ride
    EG6

How is the fishing in the stretch? I'm looking for a new stretch for this weekend. Below bears paw has been good this year.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
    Police to Makinnon Flats is really nice, or Mak to Carsland. Both are good full days, with lots of slow water and fast runs. You can use Bow River Shuttles to move your car so at the end of the day it's pack and go, no spending all that time waiting in the morning to move cars around.

If your fishing bring rapellas and spoons. Or bring 1000 flies and use 6....
    Second this. Super easy access on both ends and a great day trip!

My Ride

^once again, what's "police" to McKinnon? Trying to do all the ground work now before the weekend.

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

@flyfishin' If your asking about ghost to Cochrane stretch I saw most of them fishing closer to Cochrane. A few had rods and fished while floating. There is also Wildcat Island about halfway that you can stop at and fish. As for how good they bite I don't know.
    It's a fun stretch though.

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

@Graham_A_M

If your looking at doing the bow south of the city to McKinnon Flats here is some info for you from our Canoe Club, Bow Waters.

Bow River Fish Creek to McKinnon Flats

Suitable for families and cameras, see herons, pelicans and more
    can be a long day, specially with a headwind, early start of the day

~ 31 km, ~ 6 hours

Put in is Fish Creek, drive to the boat launch, it's down by sikome lake. You can park your vehicle right there by the boat launch.

You can shorten the paddle if you want to put in where deerfoot trail goes over the bow river, I'm not sure how the access if there as our club does not use this put in. I do see lots of fisherman using it though.
    Also look like you will be floating right by the Hell On Wheels set which is on river right just before your take out at McKinnon Flats.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^once again, what's "police" to McKinnon? Trying to do all the ground work now before the weekend.
    Policemen's Flats. Don't park like an idiot (blocking the launch or turn around points) and you'll be fine. Again, the city limits are to Deerfoot extender, so if you put in at 22, you're within the city for ~5 km of river.

Note you still need to have life jackets and the minimum requirements for boating, even out of the city. I have been checked by the Strathmore FD and CO's while in my drift boat, but rarely. It's a federal requirement. At least out side of the city you don't have a bylaw saying you have to be wearing them (Fly Fishin', I've been bugged by CPD in my drift boat and had to wear them until they left our site)

You'll be fine bringing a few beers in the raft. Just don't be blatant about it. Leave the stereo at home and you'll be left alone.

Too bad you'll miss the filming of the Lewis and Clark show for HBO. Some cool old boats around the Highwood confluence, if not a little annoying with the jet boat presence.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 07-21-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Also be careful with what you are leaving in your car, there's been a lot of thefts at the boat launches. Take your valuables with you or leave them at home. Have fun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2