Quantcast
Anyone here have Telus 100 for internet? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have Telus 100 for internet?

Originally posted by benyl

The battery on the battery backup for my modem went bad. They came the next day to replace it.
    I've been with Telus fibre for 3 years too, no problems. When my battery died they offered to send a tech or just ship me the new battery which I opted for. The battery came the next day

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I wouldn't mind giving TELUS 100 a try.

I'm paying $90/month for Broadband 60 right now since my 6 month promo ended several months back.

I don't need 100Mbps but for the same price, why the hell not.

Time to give Shaw a call and see if they'll do anything for me.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Speaking of which, remembered my 6 month promo ends this month, called back and they extended it another 6 months. Glad I don't have to switch back to Shaw (our neighborhood node is so oversaturated with them)
    What exactly did you say to them? Did you have to threaten to cancel or anything?

How do you know if you're getting Telus Fibre or telus normal internet?

Is there a difference?

The rep at telus said that 100 mbps is available at my house so I signed up for that...but Not sure if it's fibre or not.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by Hero_X
    How do you know if you're getting Telus Fibre or telus normal internet?

Is there a difference?

The rep at telus said that 100 mbps is available at my house so I signed up for that...but Not sure if it's fibre or not.
    Like 99.9% sure that's fiber. I think the fastest VDSL they have is like 50mbps over two phone lines.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero

What exactly did you say to them? Did you have to threaten to cancel or anything?
    Just that my promo was expiring, that I'd like to keep my service there but Shaw is currently offering new customers 45$ for 6 months of 60mbps. Got transferred to another department (assuming retentions) talked to him for a bit and said the same thing. He said he could extend my current promo for another 6 months (I'm not on a contract so I can leave whenever)

Originally posted by eblend

Like 99.9% sure that's fiber. I think the fastest VDSL they have is like 50mbps over two phone lines.
    They can do 50mbps per line now. 2 bonded lines (if 2 are available) = 100mbps
    Last edited by pheoxs; 07-16-2015 at 03:47 PM.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

100 mbps is worth it if you actually have things set up... Honestly with how good some of the downloaders have gotten lately I see no reason to have cable what so ever, I cancelled it years ago, got myself a newsgroup subscription and haven't looked back.

Sonarr + Couchpotato + Plex = More movies and shows then one could ever watch.

I had Telus before this, and they were just brutal for overages. Like I'm talking I went over by 2GB and they called me.

Shaw seems to be much more forgiving in this manner, and their loyalty line seems to be willing to do anything to keep the business. I burned out a router a few weeks back... Had a new one delivered in hours. Only thing you have to watch is the copyright notices if you use torrents, they are starting to crack down on it. Again get yourself into a newsgroup and never worry again.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Lol...just got off the phone with Shaw.

Told them that Telus offers Internet 100 for basically the same price as Shaw's BB60.

Shaw gave me BB60 for $70/month for a full year. I tried to haggle a bit and ask for $55/month since that's what Telus' promo is (for 6 months only) but they wouldn't budge.

I accepted but in retrospect, I am positive I could have gotten more out of them like the next couple months for free.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^Did you just call retentions?
    I need to give them a call with the august increase coming.

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Just got off the phone with Shaw myself. Didn't call anyone special, but they did transfer me, to I assume retentions. I have the $60 TV package with Family and Sports 1 for $80, Internet 15, and full home phone. They gave me $6 off the phone for 6 months, and $15 off the total bill for 2 years, for a total of $21. I did play a little hardball, saying I have the Telus package picked out and ready, all I have to do is click "Order", and thats what I got. FYI.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by schocker
    ^^Did you just call retentions?
    I need to give them a call with the august increase coming.
    Hey, no I had to go through the CSR line. I think the retentions department keeps their direct line hush hush otherwise no one would ever go through Tier 1 support.

It was about a 5-10 minute wait into the CSR queue and then another 5 while they transferred me to the retention department.

You'll have to explain to them why you're calling and they'll give you their scripted spiel about why you shouldn't be asking for a discount, TELUS' overage charges, etc, etc.

Update: I just got off the phone with retentions a 2nd time. They won't budge on the $70/month. I laid out the math for them. If I stay with Shaw's "offer" it's $840 for a year of service. If I go with TELUS, it's promo (55*6) + reg (93*6) for $888 before installation fees, which they are normally willing to waive for new business.

For $48 more over the course of a year, I can jump from BB60 to BB100, not to mention that for the first 6 months it's only $55 and I can cancel whenever I want.

I tried to get them to throw in other stuff besides the $70/month like the next couple months free, but they wouldn't have any of it.

Seriously thinking about ditching Shaw and switching to Telus 100. They might be willing to change their tune if I actually initiate the cancellation process.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 07-16-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Originally posted by blubs
    100 mbps is worth it if you actually have things set up... Honestly with how good some of the downloaders have gotten lately I see no reason to have cable what so ever, I cancelled it years ago, got myself a newsgroup subscription and haven't looked back.

Sonarr + Couchpotato + Plex = More movies and shows then one could ever watch.

I had Telus before this, and they were just brutal for overages. Like I'm talking I went over by 2GB and they called me.

Shaw seems to be much more forgiving in this manner, and their loyalty line seems to be willing to do anything to keep the business. I burned out a router a few weeks back... Had a new one delivered in hours. Only thing you have to watch is the copyright notices if you use torrents, they are starting to crack down on it. Again get yourself into a newsgroup and never worry again.
    I keep going over by a couple hundred GBs and no call yet... or additional charges... but it sounds like they are changing this now, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Edit: they've finally put the following notice on my last bill
    "Starting on your next bill, TELUS will begin to apply the
    additional usage charges indicated in your rate plan for
    data usage over your plan’s monthly allowance. Visit
    telus.com/internetusage to learn about how to manage
    your usage and find the right plan for you."

Time to give em a call.
    Last edited by jonsey737; 07-16-2015 at 10:08 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by jonsey737

I keep going over by a couple hundred GBs and no call yet... or additional charges... but it sounds like they are changing this now, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Edit: they've finally put the following notice on my last bill
    "Starting on your next bill, TELUS will begin to apply the
    additional usage charges indicated in your rate plan for
    data usage over your plan’s monthly allowance. Visit
    telus.com/internetusage to learn about how to manage
    your usage and find the right plan for you."

Time to give em a call.
    Pay $15 more and it's unlimited from Telus, or just go through their buckets, first 50gb over is $5...next 50gb is $10 and so on. Really unless you are constantly going over it isn't really a concern.

Originally posted by eblend

Pay $15 more and it's unlimited from Telus, or just go through their buckets, first 50gb over is $5...next 50gb is $10 and so on. Really unless you are constantly going over it isn't really a concern.
    They want $30 because I'm internet only which pisses me off, I think I've been 137GB over once, so that's $25 right there...

If I do end up paying the $30 I'm going to make sure that thing is downloading something 24/7.
    Last edited by jonsey737; 07-17-2015 at 02:17 AM.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

The overages were biggest reason why I left Telus. that and when I told them I am cancelling my TV they basically racked up the rates on everything else.

With Shaw I've gone over like 300GB before (was at home for weeks straight after knee surgery) and they didn't say absolutely anything to me. No charges, no calls emails nothing. They told me that there is a very small percentage of users that actually use their full bandwidth, so unless its like super consistent overage they say it will average out between users.

Not like I work for shaw or anything, but whomever you are with just make sure you call loyalty and complain once and a while. Its amazing what it can do.

I've had overages as much as double my allowance with Shaw before, and they didn't say anything to me or charge me any more. I like knowing I don't have to pay attention to their "limits".

As for their retentions department, I'm sure they have got smarter over the years. They can't just be offering anyone who calls them a mind blowing deal, but for sure they should at least be matching (or slightly beating) Telus. The grey area is if there is actually better service, no overage fees, etc. as that is worth something but people just look at the price. I bet at least half the people who call them and threaten to switch to Telus don't end up doing so, I'm sure they track that statistic.

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I've had overages as much as double my allowance with Shaw before, and they didn't say anything to me or charge me any more. I like knowing I don't have to pay attention to their "limits".

As for their retentions department, I'm sure they have got smarter over the years. They can't just be offering anyone who calls them a mind blowing deal, but for sure they should at least be matching (or slightly beating) Telus. The grey area is if there is actually better service, no overage fees, etc. as that is worth something but people just look at the price. I bet at least half the people who call them and threaten to switch to Telus don't end up doing so, I'm sure they track that statistic.
    I actually started the switch process a year ago, and Shaw contacted me, to try to keep me. The only difference in what they offered me now, and what they offered me then is the unlimited CAN/US Long distance, and 1 movie a month. I don't call long distance much more than 10 min. a month, and we always forgot about the movies, and only used 3-4 of them. So I'm happy with what I got, and I think it's on my file that I have tried to switch to Telus, and will if the deal is good enough.

My Ride
    Grimace

Yeah, I priced out the telus stuff last night and it would be cheaper with slightly less crappy TV but 100 MB internet. I will have to give shaw loyalty a call.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by schocker
    Yeah, I priced out the telus stuff last night and it would be cheaper with slightly less crappy TV but 100 MB internet. I will have to give shaw loyalty a call.
    Yup, just don't let them bullshit you with rebuttal tactics like "TELUS is gonna charge you for bandwidth overage" and make you feel like you're on eggshells.

BB100 gives you an extra 50GB for a total of 500GB, and you can see your Shaw usage history to see how often you go over anyway.

Just remember to be nice about it

Just called telus and got transferred to loyalty/retentions. I ended up getting 12 months unlimited data for free, I didn't push for any discounts but at least I don't need to worry about overages charges for a bit. I really didn't want to switch to shaw because my Telus internet has been rock solid (pay for 50 and I get 71/17 at all times), when I with shaw it would really suck in the evening.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast