Quantcast
Anyone here have Telus 100 for internet? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have Telus 100 for internet?

Default Anyone here have Telus 100 for internet?

Looking for opinion on Telus's 100 mbps plan.

I'm currently with shaw but I'm not gonna be sticking with them if/when they increase the prices in august.

So Telus is the option I'm looking at. Do you currently use telus internet? how is it?

Please share your thoughts, thanks.

Curious about this as well because a friend of mine is looking to switch to Telus for a 6 month promo and for better TV channel selection (apparently). Are you guys actually getting 100 Mbps sustained at all times of day?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I have Telus 50 and love it. Pretty much rock solid any time of day, I don't have any slow down in the evening / during peak times like I did with Shaw/TekSavvy.

In the 8 months I had it there was one outage about ~1.5hours due to some data centre issue that affected a larger area, otherwise I've never had any downtime/problems.

Edit: I get 50+ (Usually 55) anytime I've tested regardless time of day
    Last edited by pheoxs; 07-16-2015 at 09:57 AM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I have telus 100. With my netgear router my WiFi speed is consistently 96mnps. Upload varies, generally around 25
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    is broken

You have to remember too that DSL is a dedicated line vs Cable which is a shared connection. There is always problems with local neighbourhood distribution but generally DSL should offer the same speed consistently. While Cable used to offer 4x the speed but you would have to deal with congestion.

Because of this traditionally Cable is supposed to be faster and cheaper however nowadays its all a wash. Get Telus FTTH if you can.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

they mention on telus's website 70-100 mbps. Do you guys get constant 100 or does it dip low?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

See my sig.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Speaking of which, remembered my 6 month promo ends this month, called back and they extended it another 6 months. Glad I don't have to switch back to Shaw (our neighborhood node is so oversaturated with them)

Not talking about speed tests - do you get *actual* sustained 100 Mbps/12.5 MB/s download, downloading a file (eg on newsgroups), at all times of day? I'm asking because their literature says it can drop to 70 Mbps, which is a significant drop equaling more than some people's total speeds haha.

Telus' upload has always been better than Shaw though, I must say.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

There is no way to tell if it is your connection or the source system that is causing the slow down.

I can say that when I download Xbox games or other massive files, I get full speed during peak times.

I think with newsgroups, which can so easily max out your connection, it's a pretty safe bet that if it's slow, it's the provider. No way to know 100% of the time though I guess.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Not talking about speed tests - do you get *actual* sustained 100 Mbps/12.5 MB/s download, downloading a file (eg on newsgroups), at all times of day? I'm asking because their literature says it can drop to 70 Mbps, which is a significant drop equaling more than some people's total speeds haha.

Telus' upload has always been better than Shaw though, I must say.
    I get 6MB/s (50mbit plan) on steam no problem.

My news groups I only pay for 10mbit connections as I use multiple providers to cover takedowns so I max out what I'm alloted no problem. Though sometimes it pulls from all 3 simultaneously and I'll hit ~4MB/s so it doesn't appear to ever be a limitation on my end.

What is telus's customer service / technical support like?

Are they responsive? I know shaw is usually quick to help out and fix problems but not sure about telus.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Originally posted by Hero_X

Are they responsive? I know shaw is usually quick to help out and fix problems but not sure about telus.
    In my experience, yes. Very responsive and the tech's that I speak to are Canadians somewhere in Quebec. (At least at the times that I call.)

They are pretty good. I called to move my services, I was put on hold for a bit but they waived my transfer fee and gave me a free movie for the wait. My parents have been w/ Telus for 13 years, and I can count the outages I can remember on 1 hand.

I have Telus 100. I have two phone lines bonded together (50 max per line).

I have fibre in my area but we are waiting for the building to get it hooked up

One of my lines has degraded from the building parkade to my unit, so I get about 85ish constantly. Downloading is fast. Optik TV is great. Pricing compared to shaw is great.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

I just moved into new place, and it came with a years free tv and internet. I took the option to upgrade to 100, and was pleasantly surprised when I went down to my utility room and noticed an in house fibre drop.

So far the Service has been OK. Hit and miss on wait times, and I did get dropped a few times while on hold. I tried the option to leave your number and have them call you back, but they never did.

Optik TV is nothing to rave about, the packages are again ok, the full meal deal internet, tv and phone can reach above $200/month, just like shaw.
    The quality of HD TV is more inline with DVD quality, although I am on a Wireless TV Box, because the developer placed the jacks right beside the main door no where near the living room, and tv....
    Over the Air HDTV spoiled me in terms of HD quality, but its nice to have the extra content now. I do find myself switching back to rabbit ear TV to watch some shows..

VOD seems to have higher bitrate aswell.

speedtest.net confirms that Im hitting 96 mbps through wireless G, torrenting has only netted me 3.5 Mb/s so far. I have yet to try the speed through CAT5 yet.
    Netflix does start instantly in HD though which is nice. gaming doesn't make any difference what so every because, most PS games only need 1MB per minute of data usage.

So far I can't really complain for a technically free service.

Originally posted by diamondedge

In my experience, yes. Very responsive and the tech's that I speak to are Canadians somewhere in Quebec. (At least at the times that I call.)

They are pretty good. I called to move my services, I was put on hold for a bit but they waived my transfer fee and gave me a free movie for the wait. My parents have been w/ Telus for 13 years, and I can count the outages I can remember on 1 hand.
    Same type of experiences here.

I've had Telus high speed for about as long as my dwindling mind can remember. Customer service has always been very good to great, and the only outage I've ever had was due to work they were doing in the area. With that, they called and emailed me in advance. The outage was supposed to be for about 2 hours, but only lasted an hour.

I wouldn't even use a shared connection, unless I absolutely had to.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

If you are currently with shaw with the old 100 plan you are better off leaving it as is. They have ensured me that they will not change any of the pricing and you do actually get 120 Mbps.

Originally posted by blubs
    If you are currently with shaw with the old 100 plan you are better off leaving it as is. They have ensured me that they will not change any of the pricing and you do actually get 120 Mbps.
    That may be true but I'm also disconnecting cable cuz i barely use it, and its cheaper option to goto telus for home phone + internet, than with shaw. At least for what i'm looking for.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The battery on the battery backup for my modem went bad. They came the next day to replace it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast