Quantcast
Nexen spills 5 million litres of oil in Northern AB - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nexen spills 5 million litres of oil in Northern AB

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Default Nexen spills 5 million litres of oil in Northern AB

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tres-1.3155907

I've worked in the O&G business for almost my whole career, but have always been somewhat against pipeline projects off the coast of B.C. for environmental reasons. This spill is being considered the 2nd largest in AB history. Not good.

One of the largest leaks in Alberta history has spilled about five million litres of emulsion from a Nexen Energy pipeline at the company's Long Lake oilsands facility south of Fort McMurray.

The leak was discovered Wednesday afternoon.

Nexen said in a statement its emergency response plan has been activated and personnel were onsite. The leak has been stabilized, the company said.

The spill covered an area of about 16,000 square metres, mostly within the pipeline corridor, the company said. Emulsion is a mixture of bitumen, water and sand.

The pipeline that leaked is called a "feeder" and runs from a wellhead to the processing plant.

"All necessary steps and precautions have been taken, and Nexen will continue to utilize all its resources to protect the health and safety of our employees, contractors, the public and the environment, and to contain and clean up the spill," the company said in the statement issued Thursday.

Peter Murchland, public affairs manager for the Alberta Energy Regulator, said officials were notified late Wednesday and had staff onsite Thursday to work with Nexen.

"My understanding is that the pipeline and pad site had been isolated and shut-in earlier today, effectively stopping the source of the release," Murchland said

Nexen has contained the leak and started cleaning up the area, he said. There was no word on how long that might take.

"They go through a cleanup phase in accordance with the regulations set by the AER," he said. "And we'll have our subject-matter experts work alongside the operator, today and going forward, to make sure that safety and environmental requirements are met."

The regulator's staff are there to oversee the company's cleanup efforts. Murchland said there have been no reports about any effect on wildlife. The regulator has ordered the company to implement a wildlife protection plan.

'Stark reminder,' Greenpeace says

Greenpeace issued a statement Thursday that called the spill a "stark reminder" of how dangerous pipelines can be.

"This leak is also a good reminder that Alberta has a long way to go to address its pipeline problems, and that communities have good reasons to fear having more built," said Peter Louwe, Greenpeace communications officer. "New pipelines would also facilitate the expansion of the tarsands — Canada's fastest-growing source of carbon emissions — and accelerate the climate crisis even more.

"We need to stop new pipeline projects before they're built and focus on building renewable sources of energy that are sustainable and won't threaten communities, our environment, and the planet."

In April 2011, a Plains Midstream Canada ULC pipeline leaked 4.5 million litres of crude oil near a First Nations community in northwest Alberta.

That leak was the largest in the province in 35 years. It contaminated more than three hectares of beaver ponds and muskeg in a densely forested area.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 12:49 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I am not entirely sure how that big of a leak wasn't detected sooner and shut down immediately.
    Because O&G in Alberta is woefully behind the times when it comes to automation?

Or the fact that most emergency measures still require operator intervention?

You should see some of the equipment we've developed for O&G and how they squander it. Its absurd. This sort of shit is completely unacceptable and is the sort of reasons pipelines SHOULDN'T be allowed to be built.

Don't worry though, the NEB is in the oil companies pockets, so even when companies like Enbridge have hundreds of outstanding issues with their pipelines, the NEB says that they are still operating "safely" lol.

I have a relative that has stories that would make your blood boil about how unsafe current pipelines are in Alberta, and how the government oversight/enforcement is so lacking its disgusting.

Pipelines are one of the few areas where I truly believe O&G deserves all the shit they get.

Edit-
    And I understand that this wasn't a transport pipeline, but the same still applies.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Oil spills always referred to in 'litres' by fucking media for shock purposes

Not that 30k barrels isn't a fuckton but still

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

A litre is something people know though. Shock too of course, but people don't have a good handle on what a barrel or a cube is.

5000m3 is a lot but 16000m2 isn't. That's only 4 acres. It'd be a foot deep for that much liquid to cover that much area.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    '05 Wrx stage 2

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

This sort of shit is completely unacceptable and is the sort of reasons pipelines SHOULDN'T be allowed to be built.

So that's it? No more pipeline construction for the rest of time? Throw in the towel.

Fucking greenpeace

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

The title is misleading. Its not 5 million liters of oil. It is emulsion. So its water and oil. Depending on the well it could only be 20% oil.

My Ride
    E46 M3

I always thought SCADA systems would detect the pressure drop pretty quickly, no?

My Ride
    Silverado

Alberta has the most regulated pipelines on the continent. Hitempguy has no idea what he is talking about. That is a big spill though. My guess is some probably a pinhole leak so the line didn't shut in on low pressure. Possibly caused from bitumen build up / lack of pigging from low fluid velocities.

Good idea to put flow control on the lines. So small leaks can be detected
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 07-16-2015 at 11:20 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
    The title is misleading. Its not 5 million liters of oil. It is emulsion. So its water and oil. Depending on the well it could only be 20% oil.
    It would be better if it was oil.

My Ride
    Silverado

Also neither of these spills mentioned were as bad as the. 9500 cube produced water spill by apache at zama lake. That spill polluted 42 hectares of msukeg compared .to the 1.6 in this Nexen incident
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 07-16-2015 at 11:35 PM.

My Ride
    Calgary Transit

Originally posted by The BMW Guy
    I always thought SCADA systems would detect the pressure drop pretty quickly, no?
    Yes. There should have been some sort of SCADA system involved, which should either trigger the ESD valve to close at the wellhead or perform some sort of callout to the Operators to have the well shut-in manually at the detection of a pressure drop on the line. It could be possible that the SCADA system was not working at all or the setpoints were not implemented correctly? Maybe the ESD or isolation valves were stuck or leaking and have never been checked?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by The BMW Guy
    lol

Go work with the engineers and operators. I'm not surprised a failure like this happens at all. Even for the most diligent crew, there just not enough downtime to test every system periodically to see if they function as designed.

Unfortunately, oil spill is like plane crashes. Doesn't happen a lot but make lots of noise when one does happen. Every time, environmentalist feel vindicated.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

everyone has a different way of reporting news

adamc: 5 million litres of oil
    article itself: 5 million litres of emulsion
    article headline for attention: 5 million litres

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Originally posted by SKR
    A litre is something people know though. Shock too of course, but people don't have a good handle on what a barrel or a cube is.

At that scale, I think most people would be as clueless as to what 5 million litres looks like. Should report in typical trading units such as m3 or bbls to be objective.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Maybe they should use the phrase "Eleventy Billion" and leave the units out of it?

Also, if possible, can we have a photo of a dead duck superimposed on a photo of the steam generators vapor clouds in winter?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast