Quantcast
Inspection on a new build - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Inspection on a new build

Default Inspection on a new build

Is it recommended to do a inspection on a new build that has been built by the builder ?

Default Re: Inspection on a new build

Originally posted by vkesava1
    Is it recommended to do a inspection on a new build that has been built by the builder ?
    I did my inspection 1.5 months before my warranty expired.

Getting one is always a good idea. Getting it near the end of your warranty is a great idea being that you have things documented by a 3rd party professional. Only time that's an issue is if your build has lots of issues you don't find on your walk through before taking possession. For example You most likely won't be going in your attic, On your roof or other areas an inspector might focus on.

Just an FYI but a builder doesn't need to let an inspection happen if it wasn't part of your offer to purchase.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Lots of deficiencies can be found even on new homes. Highly recommended to get an inspection. Will be the best $500 you've ever spent.

My Ride
    changes every year

That's a great idea to get it done before the warranty expires. Just a side note on a story I just heard about a house that was just built a few months ago..

They did do a home inspection and after possession, they started noticing it was always cold in the house, so cold that the walls were getting frosty.

It turns out that the builder either put insulation in and took it out (which is what I was told) or they never put insulation in at all(which is what I believe).

Shady fuckin builders sometimes...

Builder says that they will be doing an inspection before the possession. Anybody know how valid their inspection will be ?

My Ride
    TL

it's worth it and rick from strand home inspector is solid. Made some incredible observations with my condo

Builder says that they will be doing an inspection before the possession. Anybody know how valid their inspection will be ?
    The inspection with the builder consists of you and their representative walking around looking for deficiencies. You won't be going on the roof, or in the attic or checking a lot of things an inspector is trained to do.

The builders Job is to minimize what you want fixed or addressed while the inspector is a third party person you can rely upon.

Did your builder deny you an inspection like I said they might?

Yes. You are absolutely correct. They said that they cannot accommodate it.
    I thought legally they can't say something like that. I should read my agreement. But instead They told me like I can get one done myself after possession. But that being said what if I find bigger problems on my inspection after possession ? Although there is one year warranty, but how far they can fix down the road ?

My Ride
    changes every year

They can still be fixing your stuff well after warranty as long as you brought it to their attention before the warranty expires.

Yes. You are absolutely correct. They said that they cannot accommodate it.
    I thought legally they can't say something like that. I should read my agreement. But instead They told me like I can get one done myself after possession. But that being said what if I find bigger problems on my inspection after possession ? Although there is one year warranty, but how far they can fix down the road ?
    Builders look at it like you have warranty so why would you need an inspection. Unfortunately with any builder you can have major issues or no issues at all. They want you to trust them but they also know of all the horror stories out there.....

Most new homes will be very quick for an inspector to take care of and in all honestly the majority of new homes sold never get an inspection done. You could be sneaky and Show up to your walk through with an inspector. They won't have any choice but to wait around for him to do his job.

Have the builder re explain your maintenance requirements on the home over and over again while your inspector creates his report. Make them think you don't understand anything they say so your inspector looks everything over.

Why does your house only have a one year warranty? It should be 2,5, 10 yr warranty. Unless your house has been under construction for over a year then it would fall under the old warranty system.

Any house that had a permit applied for after sept 2014, Or was it 2013 would be on the new extended warranty.

It has got 1,2,5,10 year warranty as per the new Alberta warranty. But majority of the comes under one year warranty though.

So it looks like I will have to do an inspection after possession. As builder Says cannot be done before. I will definitely do an inspection with Rick. Thanks