Quantcast
Recommend a divorce lawyer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a divorce lawyer

Default Recommend a divorce lawyer

Friend is going through a nasty divorce, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Soby Boyden Lenz is a good firm.

In all honestly don't believe all lawyers. They will throw out best case scenarios just for you to retain them. Soby told it how it was i found and settled my friends case on a cost basis.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

There are many good threads about this - Rage2 had a good one I think.

Lawyers are not always needed, especially regarding negotiations and copying documents - all of which they will charge up the ass for. In the end you both lose and lawyers get all the money.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Goodluck!

Guess it really adds up in those nasty divorces, my parents ended up sending 150k on lawyers (each or combined i forget) But it took a few years.

But were extremely stubborn and would not give up..
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Kind of funny to watch beyond grow from a bunch of geeky teenagers, into guys getting married and posting threads about their kids, to a bunch of middle-aged divorcees. I'm glad that I haven't gotten married (yet, at least) - I'm 36 but feel like I'm 21.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Still lots of young punks around.

Besides, getting older just means you have more money for better toys!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Still lots of young punks around.

Besides, getting older just means you have more money for better toys!
    true and true.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Any kids? If so, what kind of custody are you looking for? My cousin got timeshare custody with his Daughter. He had a Female lawyer who was awesome and the biggest bitch, (That's the lawyer you want on your side) She got him what he wanted. It cost him almost $50,000. It was a long battle that's for sure.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

From a lawyer in the above-mentioned thread:

A divorce can cost as much as you let it cost. We do uncontested divorces for relatively cheap, as long as the parties are willing to divide their assets amicably.

When divorces are contested, it can cost upwards of 20k or more. The reality is that divorce law in Canada is so well settled that the outcome is relatively predictable and no "ruthless" lawyer is going to change that. Yes, an aggressive lawyer may create some additional headaches and generate extra costs on the other party, but you are also paying for that too in the form of legal fees.

The outcome will almost always be the same for the average joe -equal division of assets and shared custody with day-to-day care to the mother. You could have photos of your wife in an orgy and it wouldn't make any difference to the courts, as Alberta (and probably all of Canada) are no-fault jurisdictions where these reasons do not affect the outcome.
    (WEAPON R)

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=331939

ALSO,

A non-lawyer solution:

http://www.fairwaydivorce.com/

Originally posted by revelations
    There are many good threads about this - Rage2 had a good one I think.

Lawyers are not always needed, especially regarding negotiations and copying documents - all of which they will charge up the ass for. In the end you both lose and lawyers get all the money.
    This couldn't be any more true. Tell your friend to try to talk some sense in the other spouse. Offer 50% of whatever he had budgeted for the lawyer to the ex as a settlement. You both save the lawyer fees, save yourself the grieve. Win-win.

We used a paralegal and it cost $1200 all-in for the paperwork. Completely painless process.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by jabjab
    Soby Boyden Lenz is a good firm.

In all honestly don't believe all lawyers. They will throw out best case scenarios just for you to retain them. Soby told it how it was i found and settled my friends case on a cost basis.

A caution with this. I was also referred to this firm but I could't get one of the partners because they were so busy. I got one of the rookies. She was horrible. I got pushed around a lot by my ex's lawyer while burning up a ton of cash. I had to fire hr and found someone else that was much better and more aggressive.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by Kobe
    Goodluck!

Guess it really adds up in those nasty divorces, my parents ended up sending 150k on lawyers (each or combined i forget) But it took a few years.

But were extremely stubborn and would not give up..

4.5 years for me and at least $150K on my own!
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by C of Red

This couldn't be any more true. Tell your friend to try to talk some sense in the other spouse. Offer 50% of whatever he had budgeted for the lawyer to the ex as a settlement. You both save the lawyer fees, save yourself the grieve. Win-win.

We used a paralegal and it cost $1200 all-in for the paperwork. Completely painless process.

Here is the problem with this. You can start out with your ex saying let's have an uncontested divorce and do the smart thing. So you play along. Especially because you have kids and know that you are throwing money away. Then when it comes time to settle things on paper, she shows up with a lawyer and an agenda. You have no been blindsided because you come to find out she has had this lawyer for a couple months plotting and preparing. You are now behind the 8 ball and the gloves have come off.

I now tell my friends that are going through a divorce that when it comes to dealing with the ex on a divorce, hope for the best but prepare for the worst......otherwise you will get fucked!

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Cyndy Morin at Resolve Legal Group. She's been doing this her whole career and is very successful.

www.resolvelegalgroup.com

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by rotten42

Here is the problem with this. You can start out with your ex saying let's have an uncontested divorce and do the smart thing. So you play along. Especially because you have kids and know that you are throwing money away. Then when it comes time to settle things on paper, she shows up with a lawyer and an agenda. You have no been blindsided because you come to find out she has had this lawyer for a couple months plotting and preparing. You are now behind the 8 ball and the gloves have come off.

I now tell my friends that are going through a divorce that when it comes to dealing with the ex on a divorce, hope for the best but prepare for the worst......otherwise you will get fucked!
    I'd highly recommend this guy's ex's lawyer haha

Originally posted by rotten42

A caution with this. I was also referred to this firm but I could't get one of the partners because they were so busy. I got one of the rookies. She was horrible. I got pushed around a lot by my ex's lawyer while burning up a ton of cash. I had to fire hr and found someone else that was much better and more aggressive.
    who was the lawyer that you had?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Not going to post her name. My second lawyer was much better and we ended up getting them to agree to binding arbitration instead of court. (It can be a crap shoot with some judges). My ex and her lawyer got shut down pretty quick.

My Ride
    85 toyota 1 ton, AE86, 04 Taco

Bump an old thread helping a family member trying to find a good divorce lawyer please et me know if you have any recomendations. Please PM if needed.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I also need some help with a divorce lawyer.

Long story short is I entered into an arranged marriage, we been married 3 yrs, no kids. It's not working out, and I'm constantly miserable.

I need to get out of it. I would ideally like to make it uncontested but this person likes to make me miserable so it may become contested.

Do I have any choice? I mean.. I don't have much money or assets, but does she get 50% of everything? What about my debt? And is it an absolute that I will have to pay her alimony?

fck.. i'm stressed about this because my job is shit and don't make much, and if even that gets taken away.. I'll be on the streets. =/

Sry for the rant, if any ideas/suggestions, please do share.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast