Quantcast
Zero Lot Line - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zero Lot Line

Default Zero Lot Line

Other than having more space on one side of the house, any other advantages???

I saw a house which sits on that kind of lot...I just thought it was weird.

I think it's silly. People are so obsessed with having a detached home that they would rather have 4 feet between each house than live in a semi-detached.

I'd rather live in a freehold rowhouse or a semi-detached and save the money than live in a detached home with 4 feet between each house.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Advantage Developer!

Its another way for the developer to make more money as they can sneak in a few more homes on each block.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

Default Re: Zero Lot Line

Originally posted by Seks
    Other than having more space on one side of the house, any other advantages???

I saw a house which sits on that kind of lot...I just thought it was weird.
    It doesn't give you more space. Normally it means that you have 4 feet between houses instead of the standard 8.

My Ride
    Ford

Default Re: Re: Zero Lot Line

Originally posted by macman64

It doesn't give you more space. Normally it means that you have 4 feet between houses instead of the standard 8.
    yep im a surveyor in Edmonton.
    Typlical detached lot is 1.2m on each side.
    zero lot line is 1.5m on one side only.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by JordanLotoski
    Advantage Developer!

Its another way for the developer to make more money as they can sneak in a few more homes on each block.
    yep for every 10 houses of normal. then can fit 11 with zero lot lines.
    i hate surveying them
    Street Tune

Does Zero Lot Line mean you have no access to the entire one side of your house? If any work needs to be done on that side of the house for example to fix foundation leaks, siding and window issues etc you will have to ask your neighbour's permission for access??
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Yes^ exactly.

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by oz388
    Does Zero Lot Line mean you have no access to the entire one side of your house? If any work needs to be done on that side of the house for example to fix foundation leaks, siding and window issues etc you will have to ask your neighbour's permission for access??
    the way it works is you actually do not own either side. and it is a 1.5m R/w
    kinda like in the front of your house there is a R/W for your utilites that you do not own. but most are 2.4m in the front from sidewalk.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by blairtruck; 07-26-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    Street Tune

My Ride
    My Bike

Originally posted by oz388
    It's still their property, but you have a "right-of-way" written into the title. It's all good.

Originally posted by JordanLotoski
    Advantage Developer!

This.

Problem is:

- No privacy

- Cookie cutter houses.

- You'll want to kill your bed friend (neighbor)

- The gas lines under the ground will eventually erode and leak.

- EXPLOSIONS with that pesky thing called fire.

- Due to the packed in environment (like Alexis Frulling), it's only final conclusion is disease and/or the whole block going up in flames.

But hey, we're overdue for a mass extinction. That mass extinction will be humans, and that's a good thing.

No "end /rant". I'm just getting started.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 07-27-2015 at 09:54 AM.

A fire would not be the worst thing to happen to these ticky-tack-boxes. A little fire would clear the block and allow the owners to rethink their crappy lives.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I really wish a developer would build a neighbourhood with 50' lots, but regular sized homes. The last time we built I was willing to pay an extra 20% - 30% on the lot just for another 8' - 10' total. I didn't want a 3200 sq. ft. house like the upper end estate areas, just a little more land. Charge me the extra but just give me some more dirt.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I really wish a developer would build a neighbourhood with 50' lots, but regular sized homes. The last time we built I was willing to pay an extra 20% - 30% on the lot just for another 8' - 10' total. I didn't want a 3200 sq. ft. house like the upper end estate areas, just a little more land. Charge me the extra but just give me some more dirt.
    That's why I moved out of the city...so much nicer when you have your own space.

I have a friend who recently bought a brand new house in one of these zero lot line areas (it's a new little area tucked in an existing area so the narrow lots are even more obvious). I hate the feel of his neighborhood...so cramped. You can't even really park a car in between any of the driveways. He paid about what I paid for my property with 11 acres. And all of the houses in that new area are $800K+ so you're not getting a bargain.

I don't get it...we're not limited in space in Canada...let's spread out a bit.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Yes the developers can squeeze more homes into a block but this is also being pushed by the city of Calgary to increase density in the City and limit suburban sprawl.

Its always funny to hear that people don't want sprawl (tons of people complaining about that all over beyond) but then other want 50'-75' wide lots in all communities.

Doesn't work both ways.

My Ride

Originally posted by never

That's why I moved out of the city...so much nicer when you have your own space.

I have a friend who recently bought a brand new house in one of these zero lot line areas (it's a new little area tucked in an existing area so the narrow lots are even more obvious). I hate the feel of his neighborhood...so cramped. You can't even really park a car in between any of the driveways. He paid about what I paid for my property with 11 acres. And all of the houses in that new area are $800K+ so you're not getting a bargain.

I don't get it...we're not limited in space in Canada...let's spread out a bit.
    We've got little kids and in our area, they've got tons of parks, schools, friends, and lots of other convenience amenities. I love the idea of an acreage but we'd have to give up too much. We've got some friends that have a gorgeous piece of property about 5 minutes from Spruce Meadows but after 10 years they're moving back into town because with two kids in multiple activities they are ALWAYS driving into town anyway.

It seems like whenever we go to the states, all of the "new" neighbourhoods still have really big lots. That's all I want. 50' - 55' wide x 110' - 120' deep with an average sized house. Langdon's not a bad example but it's too far out for my liking.

Geez Masked Bandit, it sounds like you're looking for a larger 50-60's bungalow.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Buy something from the 70's and renovate My lot is 50x120 + a 30ft boulevard. Had a 1500 sqft house on it that lent well to a modern renovation (4th bedroom turned into an ensuite and opened up the main floor).

I love the fact that no one can see into my backyard vs my old house in Royal Oak where 12+ houses overlooked our tiny backyard.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The 50-70's bungalows are outstanding, and some of the areas as still quite good values.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Originally posted by speedog
    Geez Masked Bandit, it sounds like you're looking for a larger 50-60's bungalow.
    In a new community full of other families with young kids. I've looked at places like Parkland & Bonavista and ya there are a few young families but its mostly old people whose kids have grown & gone. The schools are old, half empty and in peril of being closed down due to under utilization. Nothing's perfect but I see us sticking where we are until the kids are gone. It's the least of the evils.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast