Quantcast
P.Eng Application Question - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: P.Eng Application Question

My Ride
    Rocket in my pocket

I am getting serious with my application now. Here's my scenario - I worked in AB oil fields as electrical engineer for 5 years before moving to USA where I am doing similar stuff. I have had 6 years of expererience. Do you guys think it is worth it to get PENg if I am going to continue living in US? For my application do I have to provide them with recent past 4 years so... 1yr exp in US + 3 yr exp in AB,Canada? Any advice helps. Thanks!

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by thextinct View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am getting serious with my application now. Here's my scenario - I worked in AB oil fields as electrical engineer for 5 years before moving to USA where I am doing similar stuff. I have had 6 years of expererience. Do you guys think it is worth it to get PENg if I am going to continue living in US? For my application do I have to provide them with recent past 4 years so... 1yr exp in US + 3 yr exp in AB,Canada? Any advice helps. Thanks!
    Unless you're doing work in the US for the applicable province in Canada, I don't see any benefit in being a registered professional engineer for that province. Just another annual membership fee to pay.

My Ride
    Rocket in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Unless you're doing work in the US for the applicable province in Canada, I don't see any benefit in being a registered professional engineer for that province. Just another annual membership fee to pay.
    So my EIt is only valid for another 2 years I think, if I give up on that then how easy would it be to reinstate that or even get a PEng after that? Or should I get a PEng, AB now and then give it up because later the process might be easier for reinstating that if I move back to AB?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Read the Reinstatement section:
    https://www.apega.ca/members/changes/

There is an MIT reinstatement form and professional member reinstatement form. You have 7 years for this until you'd have to reapply entirely.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

For one thing while 4 years of experience is required you need to provide them with records for ALL your experience from what I understand. So put it all in. Can’t hurt your application in any case. I believe up to 1 year of foreign experience is allowed for the 48 months.

It’s better to get admitted to AB IMO then just transfer your membership. It’s tough to take away once you have it and will be a big benefit if you ever move back to AB, unless you really never plan on doing that. Option 2 which is probably better is just registering down in the US where you are. But might be easier to get your AB designation and transfer it there.

I think it really hinges on if the option of coming back to work in Canada is important to you?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A250

Since APEGA is changing the application process it might be easier to apply now and get it done with. I had a friend tell me November was the cutoff but I started my application on Oct 26 and finished it yesterday and it was still using the Work Experience Record. Otherwise if you keep waiting it'll change to the competency based assessment.

Just checked my APEGA account and it's now showing my status as professional member. Haven't had any official correspondence yet but looks like everything went through and got approved. Guess I'm a P. Eng now!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

congrats, did it just change over today?

I have a friend who was case to board this month and she is pulling her hair out haha

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Thanks! and yeah just updated today

My Ride
    TL

Quote Originally Posted by andyg16 View Post
    Just checked my APEGA account and it's now showing my status as professional member. Haven't had any official correspondence yet but looks like everything went through and got approved. Guess I'm a P. Eng now!
    started my application a couple days ago. it's still the same, but they do have an optional self-assessment which follows the new requirements. but it doesn't get reviewed. not sure if other applicants had this also

My Ride
    TL

How long does the general process take? I submitted my application in December and I still have this message
    Application Status:
    Thank you for submitting the academic documentation required for your application for membership. Your application has now been placed in queue. You will receive communication from an Applications Coordinator when we begin processing your application.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by dandia89 View Post
    How long does the general process take? I submitted my application in December and I still have this message
    Mine took about 13 months beginning to end. Once you get it, the timing screen disappears but it is a few months each step if I remember.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Mine was Jan-Aug

fact.

My Ride
    A250

Quote Originally Posted by dandia89 View Post
    I submitted my application early November but forgot to email APEGA regarding my academic documentation until mid December. My applications coordinator emailed me the following Monday for corrections on my WER. I resubmitted it and she said there is a queue since most staff were on holidays. She managed to get through it in a few days and sent the questionnaires out before the new year. Yesterday all of my references have submitted their questionnaires so now I am waiting for the board review.

Hopefully whoever is reviewing your WER is back from holidays soon and can move along your application.

When I applied, I applied in July 2015, and got my P.Eng in Nov. 2015.

What sucks is that I got my P.Eng 2 months after getting laid off... and yeah haven't worked as an engg since FML

My Ride
    TL

Quote Originally Posted by Hero_X View Post
    When I applied, I applied in July 2015, and got my P.Eng in Nov. 2015.

What sucks is that I got my P.Eng 2 months after getting laid off... and yeah haven't worked as an engg since FML
    I got laid off in 2016 3 months away from my P.Eng experience. I found it such a headache looking for work as an EIT.

2018 and I'm still behind my grad year in my P.Eng application. Way it goes in this economy my friend.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I applied in November 2015 and got my P.Eng June 2016 I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Rocket in my pocket

I am optimistic about my application, but I guess I need someone's affirmation.

I have a total of 7 years experience (first 5 in Alberta, 2 in US) and applying my PEng now. I am filling out my experience for all of 7 years and submitting. The only thing I am worried about is experience under PEng. Where I worked in Alberta, it was a small consulting firm, so I am claiming 1 yr under a Sr. colleague (does not have any official degrees, but a very reputed person in the industry), 1 yr under PEng and 2 years under PEng (L) to complete my 48 months. What worries me is the first yr under the person who is only known by name and the 2 years that is under a 'limited' license professional. According to APEGA guidelines, I only require 36-months under professional member and the 12-month can be under a senior colleague. So according to this, should I be worried about my 1st yr experience under a senior and the 2 yr experience I will show under PEng(L)? For the US I am showing 2-yrs under a PE license but I doubt they will ever contact him.

Our small firm in Alberta didn't really have any PEngs and the PEng(L) used to stamp most of our drawings and I worked with him the most. Thanks.

So the application has now officially changed as I very stupidly found out. Should have opened up my application a few weeks ago as I had been assembling everything offline on my own so that I could copy and paste.
    It is now on the Work Record Validator List(WRVL) + Competency Based Assessment Tool (CBAT) as of May 2nd

Which in a way helps me as I had a dick head boss who was not a fan and was not going to ever give me a reference and I also had another P.Eng who quit and lives in Europe saying fuck OnG/Engg lol.

But the new system requires that each job has a Validator (your P.Eng) and a Reference (they suggest HR). The WRVL has to be completely filled out first to move on, and even have to put in an overview of your position.
    Once that is done then you move onto the CBAT component. You now have to fill out 22 different "skillsets" giving the overview, how you applied those skills etc etc, give yourself a score between 1-5 (fucking stupid) and then select a Validator for each one. You must use 3 Validators and yes 1 Validator can do a max of 20 skills leaving 1 and 1 for the remainder. They now allow generic e-mail addresses due to all the problems they were having (I can see this trust system fracturing quickly).
    For each skill set your Validator will get an individual e-mail with a link sent to them (i.e. use them 20 times, they get 20 individual e-mails). Who then has to review your summary and give you there impression on a 1-5 scale.

I am really dreading how this process is going to go, my new company immediately put some pressure on me to have my app submitted by the end of the month saying they really want my P.Eng for future proposals. Something tells me this new system is a real treat and will take a long time. The 22 skillsets is pretty fucking overkill, but hey... what else is APEGA good for aside from raking fees and making life a pita for most.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    So the application has now officially changed as I very stupidly found out. Should have opened up my application a few weeks ago as I had been assembling everything offline on my own so that I could copy and paste.
    It is now on the Work Record Validator List(WRVL) + Competency Based Assessment Tool (CBAT) as of May 2nd

Which in a way helps me as I had a dick head boss who was not a fan and was not going to ever give me a reference and I also had another P.Eng who quit and lives in Europe saying fuck OnG/Engg lol.

But the new system requires that each job has a Validator (your P.Eng) and a Reference (they suggest HR). The WRVL has to be completely filled out first to move on, and even have to put in an overview of your position.
    Once that is done then you move onto the CBAT component. You now have to fill out 22 different "skillsets" giving the overview, how you applied those skills etc etc, give yourself a score between 1-5 (fucking stupid) and then select a Validator for each one. You must use 3 Validators and yes 1 Validator can do a max of 20 skills leaving 1 and 1 for the remainder. They now allow generic e-mail addresses due to all the problems they were having (I can see this trust system fracturing quickly).
    For each skill set your Validator will get an individual e-mail with a link sent to them (i.e. use them 20 times, they get 20 individual e-mails). Who then has to review your summary and give you there impression on a 1-5 scale.

I am really dreading how this process is going to go, my new company immediately put some pressure on me to have my app submitted by the end of the month saying they really want my P.Eng for future proposals. Something tells me this new system is a real treat and will take a long time. The 22 skillsets is pretty fucking overkill, but hey... what else is APEGA good for aside from raking fees and making life a pita for most.
    omg

APEGA is the goddamn worst. Like actually. If I knew I wasn't going to need my P.Eng in the future, I'd stop paying dues and lose my letters right now out of sheer protest for how poorly that circle-jerk organization is run.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast