Quantcast
P.Eng Application Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: P.Eng Application Question

Default P.Eng Application Question

Hi everyone,

I just recently covered 4 years of work experience and believe I'm ready for my P.Eng application.

That being said, I have one question:

Does all 4 years of experience have to be under a P.Eng?

Where I work now, i am not working directly under a P.Eng. I used to be, but the P.Eng that was formerly my lead has left the company. I intend to use the time under him, in my application. However, the rest of the time I was under a non-P.Eng.

Please shed some light on this situation, and as to what I could do to help my case.

Thank you.

My Ride
    Silverado

I wouldnt quote me but as long as you still have access to a p/eng to review your work its all good. They do not need to be your team lead.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea i think a coworker can count as long as they are willing to sign off on your work. It also doesn't have to be a direct report if your bosses boss is an engineer you can also use them.

Its more important that you were doing real engineering work all 4 years than who you are working for.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You do not have to report directly to a P.Eng, or in some cases, even have one review your work.

It's been a few years since I applied, but when I did, I thought this was covered pretty clearly in the application documents. If you have questions, APEGA is actually quite helpful with these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'm in the middle of filling in my PEng application as well. Having issues since the first place I worked out of school has basically disintegrated and I can't track down any of my supervisors/bosses minus one that is still there but he was doing so much shady stuff that I left because of him for ethical reasons. I'm not exactly inclined to phone him up and ask for a reference.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    You do not have to report directly to a P.Eng, or in some cases, even have one review your work.

It's been a few years since I applied, but when I did, I thought this was covered pretty clearly in the application documents. If you have questions, APEGA is actually quite helpful with these things.
    This is correct.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

As long as you have a P. Eng to sign off on all the years, you should be good.

I had an identical job as a friend of mine, but did not report up through a P. Eng or have a P. Eng mentor at all.

I got credit for basically 50% of my time. My friend got 100%.

It took me forever to get mine.

Originally posted by bspot
    As long as you have a P. Eng to sign off on all the years, you should be good.

I had an identical job as a friend of mine, but did not report up through a P. Eng or have a P. Eng mentor at all.

I got credit for basically 50% of my time. My friend got 100%.

It took me forever to get mine.
    I got 100% credit for work done without a P. Eng. in the company. This was about 9 months ago.

What was your line of work? They have factors for certain jobs. IE: they may only give 50% for what you did as work.

Your friend may have written his experience better on the form.
    Last edited by lasimmon; 07-27-2015 at 12:21 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

For any of you that did your application, any chance you could PM me a sample of how you explained your experience? I think I've done a good job but would rather this go smoothly than get partial credit for my time

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by pheoxs
    For any of you that did your application, any chance you could PM me a sample of how you explained your experience? I think I've done a good job but would rather this go smoothly than get partial credit for my time
    Without going into a ton of detail, I spoke with someone at APEGA a couple months back - he told me to cater it towards technical/design experience, not Project Management experience. They really value the technical over the PM stuff, so that will make things go better. Something else he said is include everything you think might make your application stronger (i.e. co-op work, even if it wasn't under a p.eng or if it was before your third year).

Hope that helps a bit

I essentially did mine in point form:

- A
    - b
    - c

Just writing short descriptive examples of what I would do on a day to day basis and how I did things (what formulas I use or methods to figure things out for example).

I'd send you a sample but I can't seem to find it anymore.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

By the time I got around to doing mine, I think I had 13 months more experience than the minimum. That probably helped.
    Shouldn't have procrastinated, but at the time, my employer wasn't offering any raise or anything for getting the certification, so I wasn't motivated.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Thanks guys, that helps

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    By the time I got around to doing mine, I think I had 13 months more experience than the minimum. That probably helped.
    Shouldn't have procrastinated, but at the time, my employer wasn't offering any raise or anything for getting the certification, so I wasn't motivated.
    Normally I wouldn't be in a rush as speaking to coworkers they get nada from getting their certification, but the way things are going if our office does layoffs I'd rather be job hunting with a PEng rather than an EIT

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

True story, if you are job hunting, it is a leg up to be a P.Eng. and every little bit helps.

Just for future reference, you don't need to be under a P.Eng for the 4 years, and don't need all 3 references to be P.Eng's. 3 is preferrable, but only 1 is mandatory.

Originally posted by turbotrip
    Just for future reference, you don't need to be under a P.Eng for the 4 years, and don't need all 3 references to be P.Eng's. 3 is preferrable, but only 1 is mandatory.
    Is this really true? Where did you find this info?

It would reaally help me out because my current lead that i work under isn't a P.Eng.

My manager is but he's being a little bitch and won't give me a reference since I haven't worked directly under him.

I'm in an EPC, and for the most part I've done technical work. It's just matter of finding someone who will give me a good reference....

Originally posted by Hero_X

Is this really true? Where did you find this info?

It would reaally help me out because my current lead that i work under isn't a P.Eng.

My manager is but he's being a little bitch and won't give me a reference since I haven't worked directly under him.

I'm in an EPC, and for the most part I've done technical work. It's just matter of finding someone who will give me a good reference....
    Sounds like your manager's a dick lol. If you report up to him with only one lead in between he should be able to verify your experience record. It's not like he had to sign off on everything you've ever prepared. Plus, I've never heard of anyone's references actually getting questioned over the phone. Your references essentially click an online survey with the option 'Yes, I agree that the applicant has accurately described their experience and I recommend them for P.Eng designation.'

I would suggest listing your current lead as your "Supervisor", and find a more senior P.Eng colleague that is willing and able to be listed as your "Reference" on the experience record. I did that for one of my records where my direct supervisor was not a P.Eng and I had no problems. At an EPC I'm sure there were subject matter experts that you consulted that would vouch for your technical experience, even if they were consultants themselves.

Only require 1 P. Eng Reference. I believe it says so right on the application. I only had 1 on mine.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I have my application active now. It asks for a Supervisor and then there is a place for one Reference as well. There's no room for 3 references (unless you listed them below in the extra space I guess)

I have my application active now. It asks for a Supervisor and then there is a place for one Reference as well. There's no room for 3 references (unless you listed them below in the extra space I guess)
    If you are using 2 references from the same job you have to make another copy of the page and change the reference... It's stupid.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast