Quantcast
Review: Dirt Belly - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Review: Dirt Belly

Default Review: Dirt Belly

I decided to try out that new "Dirt Belly" place, which is in the +15 between the CORE mall and Bankers Hall. They seem to promote themselves as a healthy/natural "garden fresh" type place.

They have two main offerings for food:

1) "Baco's" which are bread tacos ($8). It is simply very standard pita bread as far as I could tell, with your choice of Tuna, Chicken, or something else, I forget (I think all veggie).

2) Salads ($3.50/tiny scoop - not self serve) and then $4 to add chicken breast, $5 to add ahi tuna. To get a decent lunch portion you're looking at $15-20 for a similar size to a $8-10 salad from Sunterra/Marcellos. The Marcello's Power Bowl is still my favorite for good value healthy food at under $8.

They also had some interesting looking juices, but I didn't try them.

I got the Ahi Tuna "Baco" ($8), which is the "Baco" bread taco (aka standard pita bread). I wasn't a big fan. I got a tiny amount of Ahi Tuna which occupied the bottom 1/8th or so of the Baco. On top was a ton of sloppy cabbage, sauce, mint, and whatever else they put on there. It was extremely salty as well, and I am not sure if that is something they added, or if they put it in the sauce or on the fish. It was 90% lettuce/cabbage/bread, nearly impossible to eat, and messier than even the sloppiest donair or schwarma I have ever had. Taking one bite from one end dumped half the ingredients out of the other end. Get a TON of napkins. The few bites that I had with a decent distribution of ingredients tasted good minus the crazy amount of salt. It had ginger, mint, etc. which are all flavors I really like otherwise.

I might go back once more to try their grossly overpriced salads, just in case they are somehow amazing, but I would give their "Baco" a 1/5. Awesome sounding ingredient list, very poor execution. It needed a lot more Ahi Tuna, (which is the the reason I wanted to try it in the first place), far less salt, and a better distribution of ingredients so it's both easier to eat and you can get a bit of everything in each bite.

Probably won't bother going back unless I get curious and want to try the salads one day, but don't waste your time on the Ahi Tuna Baco unless you want a bunch of super salty cabbage/lettuce, sauce, and pita bread.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-27-2015 at 04:05 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

It sounds like the execution is as poorly planned out as that unfortunate name.....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

That sounds worst than a Mclobster.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Re: Review: Dirt Belly

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    2) Salads ($3.50/tiny scoop - not self serve) and then $4 to add chicken breast, $5 to add ahi tuna. To get a decent lunch portion you're looking at $15-20 for a similar size to a $8-10 salad from Sunterra/Marcellos. The Marcello's Power Bowl is still my favorite for good value healthy food at under $8.
    I had the brocolli salad. It was a fairly large scoop for $3.50, probably the size of a wendy's side salad but heavier since brocolli is more dense.
    Added the $5 for Ahi Tuna. Got one full slice! (They halve the slab, and give you two).

Also had the Tuna baco. Wasn't bad I thought, but also would've been in the $5 range for value, not $8.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    It sounds like the execution is as poorly planned out as that unfortunate name.....
    When I first walked by this place I though it would be a carnivore eatery with lots of pork and bacon to try out.
    Walked in and noticed that it was all vegan/healthy crap, I quickly turned around and walked away

It's like a hipster/pretentious version of a salad bar. And regardless of how their overpriced food tastes, this place smells like TRASH. There is a disgusting stench coming out of this place everytime I walk past and it even stinks up the Club Monaco beside it.
    Last edited by Manhattan; 07-29-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Default Re: Re: Review: Dirt Belly

Originally posted by jwslam

I had the brocolli salad. It was a fairly large scoop for $3.50, probably the size of a wendy's side salad but heavier since brocolli is more dense.
    Added the $5 for Ahi Tuna. Got one full slice! (They halve the slab, and give you two).

Also had the Tuna baco. Wasn't bad I thought, but also would've been in the $5 range for value, not $8.
    Sounds like you had a better server than I did. The lady I saw dishing out the salads would have needed 4 scoops + a meat option to make a decent portion and fill the to-go container. One scoop + meat would have been equivalent to like a $3 salad at Sunterra. I would much rather that place let me serve my own, and charge me by weight.

Originally posted by Manhattan
    It's like a hipster/pretentious version of a salad bar. And regardless of how their overpriced food tastes, this place smells like TRASH. There is a disgusting stench coming out of this place everytime I walk past and it even stinks up the Club Monaco beside it.
    I didn't notice any unusual smell the day I was there but they definitely have that hipster/pretentious vibe to go along with their overpriced food.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Re: Re: Re: Review: Dirt Belly

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Sounds like you had a better server than I did. The lady I saw dishing out the salads would have needed 4 scoops + a meat option to make a decent portion and fill the to-go container. One scoop + meat would have been equivalent to like a $3 salad at Sunterra. I would much rather that place let me serve my own, and charge me by weight.

I didn't notice any unusual smell the day I was there but they definitely have that hipster/pretentious vibe to go along with their overpriced food.
    also didn't notice the smell
    The girl I had probably gave me enough of "one scoop" to fill the bottom of one of the clear sunterra containers (small ones of course)

Originally posted by Manhattan
    So that's where the smell in the Club Monaco is coming from. It really is disgusting.

I will stick with Sunterra for the salad bar.

What a horrible name.

Freshii is better.