Quantcast
What are some good places to see in Alberta? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What are some good places to see in Alberta?

Default What are some good places to see in Alberta?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for suggestions as to where i can go with my family this long weekend. I know this is my fault for not booking anything in advance but moving past that, I'm looking for places to go and stay.

I wanted to goto Jasper but every hotel is booked
    Also checked waterton park and it was the same story...

I'm considering going to Banff but we've been to Banff already and am looking for something beyond that.

Any suggestions? I would love to go a place where we can appreciate natural beauty; I love the mountains.

As I'm going with my family, I'm not looking for any extreme hiking or anything, but would appreciate Canoeing or short easy hikes.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Emerald Lake Lodge?

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Lethbridge

Crowsnest? It's a nice area. Start in pincher area, check out beauvais lake, lundbreck falls, then go into crownest and checkout the stuff there? If you get bored you just keep going down the road into BC.

That's what my family did for family vacations when I was a kid since we didn't have much money.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Re: What are some good places to see in Alberta?

Originally posted by Hero_X
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for suggestions as to where i can go with my family this long weekend. I know this is my fault for not booking anything in advance but moving past that, I'm looking for places to go and stay.

I wanted to goto Jasper but every hotel is booked
    Also checked waterton park and it was the same story...

I'm considering going to Banff but we've been to Banff already and am looking for something beyond that.

Any suggestions? I would love to go a place where we can appreciate natural beauty; I love the mountains.

As I'm going with my family, I'm not looking for any extreme hiking or anything, but would appreciate Canoeing or short easy hikes.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
    Lake Louise?

Castle Mountain?

Kananaskis? Ribbon creek is a nice hike to the falls. You can even climb them if you feel up to it. There is a nice lake at the top stocked with fish if you are into that.

Drumheller ( not mountains but still Alberta )

You could climb chinaman's peak in Canmore. All switchbacks so no one would call it extreme. Quite the view from the top.

Hike or Bike Goat's creek from Canmore to Banff. You can start in Banff and turn around when you feel like it or whatever you want.

Also since our government spends so much money on this you would be a fool not to reference it but:

http://travelalberta.com/
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Drumheller, go to Tyrell.

Or go to Dinosaur Provincial Park. There's fossils EVERYWHERE, all over the ground. Go on a guided tour.

Originally posted by suntan
    Drumheller, go to Tyrell.

Or go to Dinosaur Provincial Park. There's fossils EVERYWHERE, all over the ground. Go on a guided tour.
    I haven't checked lately, but pretty sure it'll be completely booked long before now.
    OP: are you hotelling it or is camping an option?

Originally posted by NoPulp
    Lethbridge

Crowsnest? It's a nice area. Start in pincher area, check out beauvais lake, lundbreck falls, then go into crownest and checkout the stuff there? If you get bored you just keep going down the road into BC.

That's what my family did for family vacations when I was a kid since we didn't have much money.
    ^ X2! Way less people down there too. All the campgrounds are FCFS and the hotel/motels are kinda lower end (think 3 stars) so it's nice and cheap and easy to find vacancy. LOTS to see and do around the area.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 07-29-2015 at 12:18 PM.

There's nothing available in CP area for hotels. Fernie has some though.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

A google search turned up places to stay in CP? Mostly B&B syle places but there's hotel and motel too. Pincher and sparwood/fernie is a short drive too.
    We use to just day trip things since it's not far from lethbridge, so I can't recommend a place to stay.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

I'm SO glad I don't have to take my time off on long weekends. We're heading out for our long camping trip and leaving Monday morning. Should arrive to find almost empty campgrounds.
    Camping on long weekends: FTL.

My Ride
    Audi

When we were looking at waterton a month ago, we looked at staying in Cardston or Pincher Creek rather than waterton itself. It was easier to find a room (and both are ~30-45m drive).

Additionally if you're interested in camping, the Crandell Mountain campground just outside of Waterton is first-come-first serve with ~120 spots. It's close to Cameron Lake and the Red Rock Canyon (both are short easy hikes).

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Go to Fort Mac. I kid you not, I went there for fun around this time last year. None of that dreaded traffic on the 63 since it's a long weekend. Suncor runs tours.

Not mountains, but maybe hit up Lac La Biche.

Lethbridge can be interesting. Go East to Coaldale and visit the Bird of Prey Centre and maybe see Frank's slide from the top of Turtle Mountain if you're up for it.

Go on a road trip to see the biggest Ukrainian things of Alberta e.g., Vegreville, Glendon, Mundare, etc.

Waterton area, it's 2~2.5hrs from Calgary, overnight accommodation isn't a must.

Here's some weird and wonderful stuff in Alberta:
    Historic Alberta Annual Pass - 2014 by Wilson Hui, on Flickr
    Last edited by ga16i; 07-29-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

Thanks everyone,

ended up finding a hotel in Cardston. Will be heading to waterton!

Will check out the other places you guys suggested, another time or even this weekend if we get time.

I love the Nordegg area but it's not for everyone. Lots of natural hikes and waterfalls, lakes. Not much for development though ie. no walmarts or even stores.

We usually camp but we've stayed at the hotel, it's cheap and decent to me but not a 5-star experience.

Dinosaur Provincial park is really cool, even for a day trip. take some floaties and play in the river

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by ga16i
    Go to Fort Mac. I kid you not, I went there for fun around this time last year.
    Does not compute.

See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Another very interesting place that's a day trip from Calgary - Red Rock Coulee. Just watch out for bull snakes, rattlesnakes, short-horned lizards and yes, possibly even scorpions - link.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    Dinosaur Provincial park is really cool, even for a day trip. take some floaties and play in the river
    When I was a kid we used to canoe from Emerson Bridge (hwy 36 & red deer river) to Dinosaur Park. Launch Saturday morning, Saturday night at Steveville, continue to the park on Sunday. Good way to kill a long weekend (if the river has any water...)