Quantcast
$4000 engine rebuild from 4Kruzn Motorsports - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: $4000 engine rebuild from 4Kruzn Motorsports

Originally posted by SKR
    To keep yourself on the good list, you have to keep defending your builder no matter what. That's what this sounds like.
    This. This. This x a million.

When I left RX7Club over the whole "Adam @ RX-7 Specialties is a god, anyone who disagrees shall burn in hell" saga, that's what I heard from countless people. When I got a chance to talk to people in person there was a whole lot of "I know, I know, I had to post in his defence, I mean my car's there once a month and I have to buy parts from him". Back then I had personally been told by the parts manager at Kramer that Mazda Canada had asked him not sell RX-7 parts to customers, that he should direct them to Adam instead. Pretty scary when someone has you by the balls like that. In the end Bill at Sunridge was the only one who'd sell to me.

This scenario seems so cut and dry to me. If you trust the accuracy of the photos (which I do), and you trust the creditability of 962kid (which I do) then this is anything but a warranty issue. Seems so clear, parts failure, genuine assembly mistake? Warranty. This really appears to be a clear and obvious attempt at deception. OP paid for parts and a service and didn't get what he paid for, that's not a warranty issue, that's a refund issue.

Mobius likes his analogies so.........it's like buying an IPod off Amazon, when it arrives you open the package only to find a used sponge. You call Amazon, and their response is "No we won't refund your money because you didn't get what you paid for, but we're willing to warranty the sponge"
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 3:53 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
    Quantums are sold. I only have the hKs ones left. HKS HyperMax pro. They are 14/14 spring rate. Should be quite good for drift/track. Abit stiff for street but not too bad.
    Engine build is basically all new soft seals and springs, new bearings if needed, I use atkins solid corner seals and Rotary Aviation super seals. I also use the aviation rebuild kits for increased durability. Your rebuild will also include very good condition used rotor housings and rotors. And full street porting equal to my drIft car.

60mm turbo should be quit good. Glad to hear.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by kdwebber; 08-04-2015 at 07:00 PM.

My Ride
    Horse

Try using a [img] tag instead of the [img] ones for those pictures, they don't fit on my screen.

Originally posted by xnvy
    Try using a [img] tag instead of the [img] ones for those pictures, they don't fit on my screen.
    no problem

Last edited by know1edge; 08-16-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:52 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Ferrari

12 years ago I had purchased an engine from Conroy. Long story short, I did not get what I had paid for. I confronted him about it then, and he defended his actions. I simply let it go because it wasn't a big deal to me at the time. Some people are just how they are, and judging by the photos, his craftsmanship hasn't improved.

I've built my own engines over the last 12 years because of that.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

And let the stories begin.

This order of events sounds strangely similar to that of the Cosby allegations, except for engine work.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Watch everyone start taking their engines apart and notice the same thing

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    Watch everyone start taking their engines apart and notice the same thing
    I've known a handful of people with similar stories (not about Conroy, about that other shop ) People seem incredibly reluctant to push the issue. Most have confronted the builder giving them the benefit of the doubt only to find the builder deflects the blame back on something else, offering next to no viable options to remedy the situation. Of the people I can recall all took the loss on the chin, some shelled out for Mazda re-mans the rest sold their cars with blown motors and washed their hands of the whole thing. These people walk away and its the rotary motor that gets blamed, when that wasn't really the issue.

It's not until a couple people decided to pull apart their low km running motors to "make sure I got what I paid for". That it became evident what was happening. Even with the parts of a disassembled engine sitting in front of them and an invoice that didn't match those parts the owner chose not to pursue the issue. We bought all new parts and built it properly, virtually none of the parts could be reused and most of them should have been new in the initial build.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Ferrari

When it comes to RX-7's, you definitely don't get what you pay for.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Originally posted by mobius

So you go to the store and buy an iPod, with factory warrantee only. You open it up and find that only half the screen works. You call up Apple and say, &quot;Fuck this shit, give me my money back.&quot; Do they say, &quot;Here you are sir, sorry for our screw-up.&quot;? No, they ask you to return the product to them so they can verify the issue and then they compensate you (or repair the issue, they don't give you a choice). Terrible analogy, but still the same principle.

Terrible analogy?!

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Mobius likes his analogies so.........it's like buying an IPod off Amazon, when it arrives you open the package only to find a used sponge. You call Amazon, and their response is &quot;No we won't refund your money because you didn't get what you paid for, but we're willing to warranty the sponge&quot;
    This is more like it unfortunately.

I dont see how anyone can say op is at fault.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Even if 4kruzn had 1000 good engines, and this was his first bad one, from what we can see, he has dealt with it poorly. The port work looks like shit, but some of it isn't completely awful on the irons.That rotor housing should have been tossed, or replaced with a used one of similar wear. If Conroy was so confident that its &quot;not a big deal&quot; he should have had no issues using it on one of his personal builds and giving kyle a different one. If hes like any rotary shop, im sure he hoards the fuckers like a cat lady hoards cats. Had i been in kyles position i would have asked the same thing. Reimburse me for the parts, and we will call it a wash. I would never let somebody inside my engine thats already pissed off at me.

Karma is a real bitch, and that's why i like to keep my quality and customer service to par. Do it right the first time, and if you know damn well something isnt right, dont use it. It will ALWAYS come back to bite you in the ass. The fact that Conroy wont post, pretty much says it all. I have had some bad customers, and it has spilled onto here, and in the end, i came out clean, because i was clean to start with, and told my story honestly. Everybody has a bad customer here and there, but something tells me its not the case this time.

In the end, im not judging Conroy, or Kyle, just calling it like i see it.

The quality of pretty much every shop in calgary and area is atrocious. I wont name any names, but ive seen some shit, and ive fixed shit from other shops. Its despicable what people get away with these days. I wish i could get my own shop happening and show you what real customer service is like, but sadly, its not what i want to do at this point in my life. Maybe later, who knows. I do, plan on getting good with rotaries, like i am with sr20det, 2jz, and rb. thats for sure!

Your post is a bit all over the place.

If you actually owned a shop you know it's absolutely impossible to get it right every single time. Look at car manufacturers; they have infinite money spent on R&D, have been doing it for centuries, have all the best equipment to build stuff, and they still fuck stuff up. Right now here in Edmonton there is a new viper with about 5km on the odometer, that has already had it's engine swapped out. Do you know why? Because the first one grenaded on arrival.

Having owned and worked for automotive businesses before (and anyone who has who sees a high volume of customs will agree) it is absolutely impossible to be perfect, Not all customers have reasonable expectations, and not all customers are sane rational people. It's how you handle the fuckups that maintain your business' reputation, because everyone knows there will be fuckups... but sometimes you just gotta cut your losses and tell a customer to piss off because there is absolutely nothing you can do to make them happy.

I'm guessing since this is the first problem i've ever heard at 4kruzn, this is one of those times.

The OP has complained about conroy using rotor housings and rotors he should not of used, a bearing that was worn through to copper, a nick in a seal, shitty porting, conroy not being reasonable, and god knows what else.

here are the facts:
    - that bearing is fine, we can tell from how much copper is showing that it is perfectly within tolerances. OP and his expert are wrong on this.
    - there is no evidence there is anything wrong with the pictures of the rotors or rotor housings. there is no gouges, peeling, abnormal wear, no points it's worn through, and no chunks taken out of it. there are worse rotor housings on clubrx7 that people are asking if they're ok to reuse and the answer is yup yup yup. OP and his expert are wrong on this. That rotor housing surface looks great in pictures.
    - the ports. sure, i've seen conroy do better, but again, there are ports on clubrx7 people are posting all over the place that look far worse, and no one is jumping up and down saying how much of an abomination they are. Does anyone actually know what they're looking at when they see those ports, or are people just seeing ultra close ups and going "omg that's not ported and polished like gran turismo says they need to be!?" OP and his expert have somewhat of a leg to stand on here, but are they functional? Yes. Are they going to be responsible for grenading an engine? no. Did OP pay a crazy amount of money to get his engine rebuilt? no, he got a dirt cheap bargain basement rate.
    - The mythical FC3S eccentric shaft. First off, these are interchangeable and people commonly swap them in-between rotary engines, including the Renesis engine from my understanding. 2nd off, how do you even know it's from a FC since visually I can't tell a difference? There is debate on what shaft is better also. Some claim the rx8s because they are harder, but others say the balancing on the original 13b's make them better. the 13b-rew's seem to be mid point, where they sit between 13b and renesis for balance and hardness.
    - OP's expert. It's clear OP's expert is not someone extremely familiar with rebuilding and building these engines. If you people want to say conroy should be defending himself on here (i don't think there is any advantage to him doing so), people should also be asking why the mythical rotary expert won't state his credentials? What rotary shop does he work for, how many years, how many rotaries has he rebuilt and/or built. How many rotaries of his are successfully racing? Who do we know in the community currently running one of his 'great' engines??? My guess is he is a backyard mechanic, or at best a mechanic at a shop like Midas or Canadian tire. My guess is he has literally zero rotaries on the road he's rebuilt.

So like i said on 780tuners. OP doesn't have a list a mile long of problems. He has about 1.5 problems.

1) being the engine blowing up, which has nothing to do with OP's huge list of non issues, and from OP's own mouth conroy was willing to rebuild, but for whatever reason OP blew him off because of 'reasons'. I don't care what OP's excuses are on this, given the choice of no engine rebuild, and a rebuild from a guy i used to think was A-ok and now think is a fuck off, i'm still going to take the engine rebuild.
    0.5) being that the port job is ugly, but it's not as bad as OP claims, and could be solved when the engine was rebuilt, which as OP admits, conroy was willing to do before he told him to go fly a kite for some unknown reason.

Which brings up all the red flags. Why did this take 3 years? Why did OP open up his own engine (who does that? it voids warranty instantly everywhere)? Why did OP turn down a free engine rebuild that costs thousands in exchange for demanding a measly $1000 (which doesn't even cover parts) and risking ending up with nothing. Who does any of that? Nut jobs.

P.S. I find it amazing conroy was willing to warranty an engine some random guy opened up himself. How many shops would do that...
    Last edited by Zhao Kan; 08-08-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Originally posted by Zhao Kan
    If you actually owned a shop you know it's absolutely impossible to get it right every single time
    Ya OP if you owned a shop you'd know how hard it was to put the correct parts in and not let your toddler port the engine.

"But Rx7club has people posting worse". Well that's a hell of a defence for shitty craftsmanship

Maybe if I type out a long enough diatribe I'll distract from what the photos show? Nope, still looks like a clown with no integrity sold a heap of shit to a paying customer. Oh and for the record I know exactly what I'm look at thanks. Just my opinion of course.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 08-08-2015 at 11:06 PM.
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Your post is a bit all over the place.

If you actually owned a shop you know it's absolutely impossible to get it right every single time. Look at car manufacturers; they have infinite money spent on R&amp;D, have been doing it for centuries, have all the best equipment to build stuff, and they still fuck stuff up. Right now here in Edmonton there is a new viper with about 5km on the odometer, that has already had it's engine swapped out. Do you know why? Because the first one grenaded on arrival.

Having owned and worked for automotive businesses before (and anyone who has who sees a high volume of customs will agree) it is absolutely impossible to be perfect, Not all customers have reasonable expectations, and not all customers are sane rational people. It's how you handle the fuckups that maintain your business' reputation, because everyone knows there will be fuckups... but sometimes you just gotta cut your losses and tell a customer to piss off because there is absolutely nothing you can do to make them happy.

I'm guessing since this is the first problem i've ever heard at 4kruzn, this is one of those times.

The OP has complained about conroy using rotor housings and rotors he should not of used, a bearing that was worn through to copper, a nick in a seal, shitty porting, conroy not being reasonable, and god knows what else.

here are the facts:
    - that bearing is fine, we can tell from how much copper is showing that it is perfectly within tolerances. OP and his expert are wrong on this.
    - there is no evidence there is anything wrong with the pictures of the rotors or rotor housings. there is no gouges, peeling, abnormal wear, no points it's worn through, and no chunks taken out of it. there are worse rotor housings on clubrx7 that people are asking if they're ok to reuse and the answer is yup yup yup. OP and his expert are wrong on this. That rotor housing surface looks great in pictures.
    - the ports. sure, i've seen conroy do better, but again, there are ports on clubrx7 people are posting all over the place that look far worse, and no one is jumping up and down saying how much of an abomination they are. Does anyone actually know what they're looking at when they see those ports, or are people just seeing ultra close ups and going &quot;omg that's not ported and polished like gran turismo says they need to be!?&quot; OP and his expert have somewhat of a leg to stand on here, but are they functional? Yes. Are they going to be responsible for grenading an engine? no. Did OP pay a crazy amount of money to get his engine rebuilt? no, he got a dirt cheap bargain basement rate.
    - The mythical FC3S eccentric shaft. First off, these are interchangeable and people commonly swap them in-between rotary engines, including the Renesis engine from my understanding. 2nd off, how do you even know it's from a FC since visually I can't tell a difference? There is debate on what shaft is better also. Some claim the rx8s because they are harder, but others say the balancing on the original 13b's make them better. the 13b-rew's seem to be mid point, where they sit between 13b and renesis for balance and hardness.
    - OP's expert. It's clear OP's expert is not someone extremely familiar with rebuilding and building these engines. If you people want to say conroy should be defending himself on here (i don't think there is any advantage to him doing so), people should also be asking why the mythical rotary expert won't state his credentials? What rotary shop does he work for, how many years, how many rotaries has he rebuilt and/or built. How many rotaries of his are successfully racing? Who do we know in the community currently running one of his 'great' engines??? My guess is he is a backyard mechanic, or at best a mechanic at a shop like Midas or Canadian tire. My guess is he has literally zero rotaries on the road he's rebuilt.

So like i said on 780tuners. OP doesn't have a list a mile long of problems. He has about 1.5 problems.

1) being the engine blowing up, which has nothing to do with OP's huge list of non issues, and from OP's own mouth conroy was willing to rebuild, but for whatever reason OP blew him off because of 'reasons'. I don't care what OP's excuses are on this, given the choice of no engine rebuild, and a rebuild from a guy i used to think was A-ok and now think is a fuck off, i'm still going to take the engine rebuild.
    0.5) being that the port job is ugly, but it's not as bad as OP claims, and could be solved when the engine was rebuilt, which as OP admits, conroy was willing to do before he told him to go fly a kite for some unknown reason.

Which brings up all the red flags. Why did this take 3 years? Why did OP open up his own engine (who does that? it voids warranty instantly everywhere)? Why did OP turn down a free engine rebuild that costs thousands in exchange for demanding a measly $1000 (which doesn't even cover parts) and risking ending up with nothing. Who does any of that? Nut jobs.

P.S. I find it amazing conroy was willing to warranty an engine some random guy opened up himself. How many shops would do that...
    You should figure out who 962kid is before you call him a backyard mechanic. Makes you look like a HUGE idiot.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

We've asked who he is, no one will share

And it's a "bit" different to be a stellar mechanic compared to a stellar rotary mechanic.

All of Zhao's comments are valid. The OP doesn't have a leg to stand on, and hasn't since the thread started.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    We've asked who he is, no one will share

And it's a &quot;bit&quot; different to be a stellar mechanic compared to a stellar rotary mechanic.

All of Zhao's comments are valid. The OP doesn't have a leg to stand on, and hasn't since the thread started.
    Page 2.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

When i had my shop before it went underwater, I always had people ask me to cut corners to save money. I made it clear no Warranty. 3800 to rebuild a rotary engine properly not going to happen. corners had to be be cut. {and i think the op new that)
    I think.. hey Conroy what can you do for 3800.00 and Conroy gave him 3800.00 worth.
    I'am surprised hey even offered to repair it.

That's almost the price of a timing belt replacement on an Audi.
    Shame on you Conroy should've charged him at least 7 g's
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Wonder if any of the people posting these hilarious replies currently have their engine in the 4 Kruzn shop. Would explain the whole throwing logic out the window for an opportunity to white knight this fine craftsmanship.

If you actually owned a shop you know it's absolutely impossible to get it right every single time.
    If you actually owned a shop and let slip ups like this get out, you deserve to go out of business.

Right now here in Edmonton there is a new viper with about 5km on the odometer, that has already had it's engine swapped out. Do you know why?
    Yes. Because it's a Chrysler.

Having owned and worked for automotive businesses before (and anyone who has who sees a high volume of customs will agree) it is absolutely impossible to be perfect
    I completely agree with you. However there are "oops my bad didn't realize" mistakes and then there is "I don't give a fuck" mistakes. It's pretty easy to tell the difference, if you can stop and step into reality for a second or two.

Not all customers have reasonable expectations, and not all customers are sane rational people. It's how you handle the fuckups that maintain your business' reputation, because everyone knows there will be fuckups... but sometimes you just gotta cut your losses and tell a customer to piss off because there is absolutely nothing you can do to make them happy.
    Is it unreasonable to want the parts you paid for, and work done properly? How can anyone even argue with this?
    Would be much easier to argue for this being fraud than for it being "no big deal".

And this makes a difference how? If he had done 100,000 perfect jobs before this one it still wouldn't make this any less wrong.

Probably most shops when its obvious they fucked up.
    Last edited by Mista Bob; 08-09-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    The OP doesn't have a leg to stand on, and hasn't since the thread started.
    Ya unless of course you consider the fact OP paid for a streetport and didn't get it (are you familiar with a proper streetport?). Oh and paid for RA Super Seals and didn't get them, neither of which are warranty related issues

But, but, but, it was a budget build! It's not that hard to say "hey I can't properly port an engine for that amount of money, sorry". Instead he charged for porting and let the shop cat claw at the ports for awhile.

The opinion (which I share) of most people in this thread is the same. There is NO excuse for craftsmanship like this, none. If you're defending this shit you either don't understand a rotary or you're a delusional white knight, it's just that simple.
    Toma the homophobe?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast