Quantcast
Kentucy arrest for shooting down drone. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Kentucy arrest for shooting down drone.

Default Kentucy arrest for shooting down drone.

Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Kentucky...hmmm...

Did he try to cook it afterwards...
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Do people own the airspace immediately above their property up to a certain height?

I personally think if someone is flying a camera-laden drone over your private property without your permission, you should be allowed to do something about it.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Do people own the airspace immediately above their property up to a certain height?

I personally think if someone is flying a camera-laden drone over your private property without your permission, you should be allowed to do something about it.
    I would agree with you. A drone with no camera? Sure. With a camera? Hell no.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

This has to be against some kind of voyeurism law?

But ironically, walk around on his properly taking pictures with a video camera and shoot him? OK in the US

Fly a drone around on his property with a drone and shoot the drone? Not OK!

The thing is if he threw a rock or a brick at it he would likely be free and clear lol.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 01:16 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Poses a bit of a paperwork challenge for people who want to get shots of their house for selling purposes... do you go around and bang on the door of every other home owner to get permission?
    I would, yea. Or, at the very least, notify them in advance so they aren't freaked out when your drone is buzzing around.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I also think a slingshot with ball-bearings, or paintball gun loaded up with marbles might be a more subtle way to handle such a problem
    You forget, this is America (fuck yeah)! subtle isn't in thier national vocabulary.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2010 S4

Poses a bit of a paperwork challenge for people who want to get shots of their house for selling purposes... do you go around and bang on the door of every other home owner to get permission?

I also think a slingshot with ball-bearings, or paintball gun loaded up with marbles might be a more subtle way to handle such a problem

Those should do the trick with out endangering the neighborhood

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Originally posted by killramos
    This has to be against some kind of voyeurism law?

But ironically, walk around on his properly taking pictures with a video camera and shoot him? OK in the US
    It's almost like you guys didn't bother reading the article...

FAA guidelines say drone pilots must receive permission from property owners pre-flight when flying over a residence — but a FAA spokesperson told local media that shooting at an unmanned aerial vehicle posed a bigger threat.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

[/B]
    Your FAA quote says nothing about airspace ownership and the limits of said ownership Did I miss that in the article?

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

[/B]
    doesn't say how much airspace you need to be before not needing to notify a land-owner though, I'm guessing 40-60 feet?

but really what happened to common courtesy now a days?
    one of my co-workers told me that someone tried to go through their backyard over the weekend because they said it was a shortcut from a local baseball field to the street.

IRRC there are maximum altitude rules for drones in US airspace, but no minimums in terms of "privacy" or decency if you're using a camera over property not your own. Max of 400 feet above ground level and 5 miles min from any airport airspace I think it is. There are more solid rules coming in 2015 the FAA has said, some sort of "privacy" laws no doubt will be included.

I've read that Calgary has rules against park flying smaller models now, anyone have intel regarding that? In my current area there is none, but it makes me sad I can't fly my little 250 size helos in parks in Calgary when I move back home, as when I last lived in Calgary they were a pretty new hobby, and every kid for blocks would drop their parents over for 20 questions, which is good for the hobby shops and for the kids, learning about physics and aviation and such IMO.

edit - a bit of info here.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-kn...ly-your-drone/

Also, these are FAA GUIDELINES, much of these guidelines are not enfoceable laws as yet, go read the forums at rc-groups and whatnot, there is a lot up in the air at the moment, rules in flux, "guidelines" and other such wording - again, the FAA has said that clarifications and rules are coming in 2015, which has the modeling community abuzz for certain.

Unfortunately, the "golden rule" or plain common sense doesn't go far in society today. I would expect and hope any modeler flying a route that may even come NEAR private property, that they would check first for both permission and safety concerns that it's alright with anyone living in the general vicinity. As for having a camera equipped quad/hex/whatever rotor, hovering that over private property at an altitude it can be seen at (ie picture range for most cameras) without permission is a creepy thing to do, and I don't blame the OP article guy, although discharging a shotgun in the city limits is obviously asking for trouble yourself.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 07-30-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Actually it is illegal to operate any type of radio controlled device in any city of Calgark park - bylaw 20M2003 covers that.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

It was this case that made me post in the balloon stunt thread about breaking Canadian Airspace Regs with a drone.

RX-7_TWINTURBO pointed me to a Transport Canada article that states 90 meters (295 feet) is the point where you break airspace regulations.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...d=hruzf#safety

I looked at the Air Rights wiki page and it states that:
    The low cost of unmanned aerial vehicles in the 2000s revived legal questions of what activities were permissible at low altitude.[8] The FAA reestablished that public, or navigable, airspace is the space above 500 feet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_rights

So according to the FAA, one would think that they own the "air" directly above thier property up to 500 feet??? Not sure how it pertains to Canadian law.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Mischief and endangerment charge. I bet that was the result of discharging a firearm within town limits. I willing to bet it would be a different out come if it was a rural property.