Quantcast
Cortisone shots for tendonitis? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cortisone shots for tendonitis?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Cortisone shots for tendonitis?

Has anyone on here had success with cortisone shots for tendonitis? Some medical professions say they work and are good(keep the inflammation down) but others say to stay away (weakens tendons, risk of rupture etc).

Looking for opinions from Beyonders who have had them. Would you recommend it?

My Ride
    2014 Tundra 1794 + 2016 X1

Did the shot for tendinitis. BIG ass needle, so if you are needle shy, I wouldn't recommend it.

It works, but if you continue to do the same things that caused your tendinitis, the effects do not last long at all.

My tendinitis was caused mainly by work. So even with physio therapy, the pain came back fast.

What I found more helpful was the use of vitamins. A Glucosamine with MSM and Omega 3 regiment has helped immensely to the point I hardly notice pain these days.

Though I think I'll get another shot if I can to make the pain completely gone and continue my vitamins to maintain it.

Hope that helps some.

At best it's a temporary balm... You are far better off doing physiotherapy. Takes months but really the key is stop doing whatever it is that is causing your tendonitis and start rehabing. Typically the rehab will involve trying to strengthen the antagonistic muscles. It will in all likelihood hurt like a bitch but yeah over the long haul you will be far better off doing proper rehab rather than getting a temporary halt to the pain.

Anyways if you have something along the lines of elbow tendinitis there are some pretty good exercises out there that do work... Just takes a while before it starts getting better if it's severe.
    Last edited by mazdavirgin; 07-30-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Have you had an mri or ultrasound yet? Is it tendonitis or tendonosis? Cortisone just numbs the nerves and you will probably feel worse by the time it wears off.
    If it is patellar tendonitis/osis I have been rehabbing this for 18 months and have good info on the subject.
    To get rid of tendonosis I have had PRP injections which really helped. Pm if you want more info.

My Ride
    96 jrsc 'teg gsr

Is this the same shot they give you when you've herniated a disc? If so, you'd be prone to osteoporosis when older.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I had a cortisone shot for tendinosis in my shoulder about 4-5 years ago. Helped quite a bit, and I've been fortunate enough that I just recently started feeling pain in my shoulder. I think it helped alleviate enough of the pain that I was able to rehab it, and I think this new pain is just like a new muscle imbalance that's fucking up my shoulder. I only say that because I think the standard pain-free period after a cortisone shot is like 6 months, and I went almost 6 years.

Having said that, I've been told a lot of the same things you've been told. The injections become less effective as you get more of them, and it's really just a band-aid solution at the cost of long-term benefit.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I have no personal experience with Cortisone shots but I have read great things about TB-500. It is a peptide though, it's not approved for human use...

Me personally when I had tendonitis it was due to Muscle Imbalance.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Thanks for the replies guys. I was told it was lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) caused by overuse (data entry work). Did 6 weeks of physio, pain went down and came back. Only recommendation was the shot at this point.

is your work station ergonomically set up?

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was told it was lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) caused by overuse (data entry work). Did 6 weeks of physio, pain went down and came back. Only recommendation was the shot at this point.
    It's a pretty common problem if you use computers a fair bit. You got it in both elbows or just the one? I had it pretty bad in my right elbow and found it very helpful to start using the left hand for my mouse. My mouse use was aggravating the elbow something fierce. At one point my tennis elbow was bad enough I could not grab doorknobs and open doors...

Took me about 6 months before it really went away completely. I was doing a fair bit of physio and being diligent with doing the exercises daily...

Here's a list of exercise that worked:

http://www.drjuliansaunders.com/reso.../dodgy_elbows/

In addition I found that doing heavy bench presses/push ups along with tricep dips helped once the elbows were feeling better.

Another exercise people swear by is the forearm roller or the flexbar...

http://www.roadto45tennis.com/how-to...minutes-a-day/

It's very frustrating and slow but IMHO it's better not to get the shots since if you don't address the underlying problem it's just going to result in you being back where you started.
    Last edited by mazdavirgin; 08-01-2015 at 12:38 AM.

My Ride
    93 integra

Cortisone is a horrible idea. Just do whatever else you can think of first. I kept asking for it for my knee pain and doctor kept saying no.

Ended up needing surgery and tons of physio and now i am never better.

My mom has had cortisone shots for hip pain and as far as I know it's only resulted in temporarily fixing the pain and now her hip hurts worse than ever and is super weak.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I will hold off on the shot for now and try those exercises mazdavirgin mentioned