Quantcast
Slow wifi help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Slow wifi help

Default Slow wifi help

Hi everyone,

So as you may have read, from my 100 other threads previously, i'm having trouble with telus internet.

Well at least so i thought. Anyway, i bridged my modem and put my router in.

Wired into my router I get 105 mbps. Wireless (right beside the router) I get about 54 mbps

This is on the netgear R7000 router.

I repeated same tests on shaw and I got 145 mbps (both wired and wireless, on the shaw120 plan).

I can't tell if my router is the one not giving good wifi or if telus modem is affecting it.

I changed my router. I'm now trying an ASUS-RT-AC68U router. I checked online and this got great reviews. I tried it again and....same results. Great wired speeds (modem bridged, wired into the router), but crappy wifi. I'm sitting right beside the router and getting only about 60 mbps. A bit improvement over the previous but still nothing to brag about.

I really don't know why these routers aren't playing nice with telus modem.

Please help me out if you can!!

Time to switch back to Shaw m8

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

You haven't specified what devices you are using. If the device only supports b or g you will only get those speeds.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Are you connected to the 5ghz said? Do you see both ssid's being broadcasted in your wireless. Networks menu on windows?
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Do we really need 3 threads on this? People gave you advice in the Telus thread, then again in the second Telus thread, now this thread?

How about you go back to the last thread and go through all the suggestions people tried rather than starting all over again.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Do we really need 3 threads on this? People gave you advice in the Telus thread, then again in the second Telus thread, now this thread?

How about you go back to the last thread and go through all the suggestions people tried rather than starting all over again.
    Yes Mr Moderator.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

He's going to keep making new threads until his problem is solved. Probably the best thing for everyone is if one of our IT gurus goes over to his house, re configures his networking hardware, mops his floors, pleasures his woman and rotates his tires.
    Than we'll have some peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

If you're in a condo and there's lots of interference including other networks in area, move the equipment to the middle of the room. After going through many routers, an Apple AirPort Express is what did the trick for me.

Also, consider power line adaptors which I'm going to look into soon because I want certain network enabled devices such as AppleTV and my Smart TV to be plugged in.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/n...rline-3491484/

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Default Re: Slow wifi help

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 10:56 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Sorry everyone for making so many threads.

I'll just stfu now.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help =)
    Last edited by Hero_X; 07-31-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:

802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
    802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
    802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
    802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.
    I think you are doing something very very wrong here if you are seeing such differences between the shaw and telus modems if you are using identical routers.

I'm also very skeptical you are seeing the same speed wirelessly vs wired in the shaw configuration. That doesn't make much sense frankly.