Quantcast
Official 2015-2016 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread! - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2015-2016 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

Hi guys,

I bought some new boots this year, and have been wearing them around the house. Comfort level right now is about 7 of 10. I was told they would pack out a lot, but I am having doubts. I dont really want to mess around this year with sore feet, so where would the best place be to get my boots altered. Like getting them punched out or stretched a little bit here and there by someone who knows what they are doing.

Something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1R9WlG7UaM

Thanks for any help,

Dave

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Lou's on Memorial. Boots should be comfortable out of the box FYI. If they're 7/10 now, they'll be worse on the hill.

My Ride
    Z

You bought new boots and expect no discomfort in the first year? Buddy! It takes me 25+ days to break in boots. You should have at least 5 days before you get your first punch. There's a reason I run boots until they literally disintegrate
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Lariat

Yeah new ski boots suck. I am going into year 4 or 5 on my current pair, the only reason I won't get new ones is these are now 'perfect' for me. Take atleast 5 days running a new boots before you look for boot punches etc.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Ahhhh thanks guys. I dont know what I dont know haha

First pair of boots I have ever bought as I am late to the game and just started skiing last year.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

My Ride
    Exploded.

I got my boots heated like skates, then broke it in around the house before going to a hill.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

so crackhead stole my board and bindings last year... both were close to a million years old. whats the new tech all about? i feel like an old man. i like powder and um... freestyle? is that still a thing? do i want rocker? binding still have straps, right? do toe straps still cover the toes? or are the old ways back?

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by ercchry
    so crackhead stole my board and bindings last year... both were close to a million years old. whats the new tech all about? i feel like an old man. i like powder and um... freestyle? is that still a thing? do i want rocker? binding still have straps, right? do toe straps still cover the toes? or are the old ways back?
    Rocker can be fun better float in pow and more buttery fun, however this results in a huge sacrifice in edge hold. Lots of "hybirds" that generally find a happy medium between the two.

Like always though boards are for the most part the same as the ;last season with a new shiny graphic so getting last years gear is always the best way to go (little late now though)

My Ride
    Lariat

speaking from a skiing standpoint, rocker is great for more than just powder, it also helps in crud and non groomer conditions, as well as helping initiating turns easier.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:

Originally posted by asp integra
    speaking from a skiing standpoint, rocker is great for more than just powder, it also helps in crud and non groomer conditions, as well as helping initiating turns easier.
    A fully rockered snowboard is typically more unstable and tends to be worse in crud, non groomers, and in groomed conditions. It will excel in deep powder and when jibbing but otherwise it's typically going to be worse than a conventional camber board. Where it does shine though is in being far far more forgiving. You are far less prone to edge catches because the board has such a large deadzone which is also why it tends to be unstable you really have to consciously push it onto an edge. Most boards though are not actually straight rocker though and hybrid type designs. So it really depends. If you want something hard charging that cuts through chop and you are not a new snowboarder worried that your board is not forgiving well camber is probably still your best bet.

Here's the best explanation you will likely find of the different alternatives: http://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear...fferences.html

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Dave P
    I bought some new boots this year, and have been wearing them around the house. Comfort level right now is about 7 of 10. I was told they would pack out a lot, but I am having doubts. I don't really want to mess around this year with sore feet, so where would the best place be to get my boots altered. Like getting them punched out or stretched a little bit here and there by someone who knows what they are doing.
    If you bought them from a "good shop" often adjustments like punching out the shells is free.

Been a long time since I bought boots, but when I did, I got them from TechnoSport, and they messed around with them several different times, over the course of two seasons with no charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    look, if you stick your dick on my shoulder, then I'm gonna stick my dick on your shoulder. That's how shoulder dicks work.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Can someone explain to me the differing technologies in goggles? I wanted to buy some Prizm lenses for my Oakley Crowbar but it's cheaper to buy a new set of goggles.

So I'm on the hunt. Smith goggles are 200+ and I don't get it.

My Ride
    Z

They're amazing. Very quick changeout, great vision, no fog ever, excellent contrast. Smith I/OS. Bought a pair with sensor mirror lenses and never looked back. A few years back someone here posted a link to a 60$ online sale for them so I bought a spare set of frames and lenses.

IMO vision is absolutely essential to skiing. You need to be able to see every line in the snow and the texture as well. Lack of fogging, good contrast, and some mirror are important. There should be some airflow through the sides of the goggle and through the foam but not enough to feel as wind.

Polarized lenses are bad because it can remove the contrast when you're looking at ice and you can miss some interfaces. Sensor mirror provides the best low light vision IMO which I'm invariably skiing in. I have the same lenses but in high mirror for sunny days but they only get used ~3 days a year vs ~40 for the sensors.

With goggles it really seems like you get what you pay for. If you bail a lot and get snow on the inside of your lenses its pretty hard to recover. You will have fog. You can keep 2 pairs and have one pair inside your jacket either as a spare or to dry out if you bailed. Then just get a couple $40-50 pairs. If you don't bail, get really good goggles. They're more important than the suit IMO.

Edit: don't try to dry off the inside of the lens after its had snow other than trying to blow it all off, shake it, or lightly dab it with something very soft. There's a coating on the inside of good lenses that gets soft when its wet (from absorbing the FOG moisture). If you try to dry the inside it'll rub off the coating and you'll wreck your anti-fog properties.
    Last edited by g-m; 11-12-2015 at 12:20 AM.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Originally posted by flipstah
    Can someone explain to me the differing technologies in goggles? I wanted to buy some Prizm lenses for my Oakley Crowbar but it's cheaper to buy a new set of goggles.

So I'm on the hunt. Smith goggles are 200+ and I don't get it.
    Googles/lenses like everything else should be bought out of season if price is a concern. They are usually pretty steeply discounted like 50% off...

IMHO as stated by g-m swappable googles or multiple googles are the key thing. You need low light lenses, bright light lenses, and clear lenses if you are going to do night riding. Polarized is a waste don't bother.

I'm a big fan of the newer style of googles that give you better peripheral vision. Otherwise it's pretty much a wash. You do get what you pay for though and higher end googles do tend to be more comfortable and have better anti-fog/lens tech.

My Ride
    rally pig

has anyone gone ski/snowboard yet?
    might check lake louise out next weekend

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I like my customized airbrake. It's a little more money than Smith i/o but not by much and I got to have it the way I want. There are sales for Smith but rarely for Oakley, not in Canada anyway. Goggles with interchangeable lens is the way to go. Considering that you get two lenses the premium is reasonable. I'd like to try the ones with HUD like the Airwave or the Recon, money though.

Originally posted by taemo
    has anyone gone ski/snowboard yet?
    might check lake louise out next weekend
    Louise just posted on instagram that they are expecting up to 50cm of snow over the next 48 hrs. Tomorrow they are opening Top of the World and Summer Platter

My Ride
    Lariat

Was at Louise last weekend, a lot of fun to get out on the sticks despite it being just 1 run. Yeah this weekend looks good, a good dump of snow expected and 6 pack and platter scheduled to open.

As for gogs, I love my Smith IOs
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

You can have the Recon for 400 at MEC now. Pretty close to the deal down south considering our shitty dollar and the potential custom fee.

My Ride
    Lariat

I have been an Armada guy for quite some time now, but this year they didn't really offer exactly what I was looking for in a ski (rocker, ~100mm underfoot, something that you could shred park with but still have fun on the backside crud and pow as well)

So I have been looking at ON3P for quite a while and really like what they are doing so I visited my friends down at Fresh and picked up a pair of the Kartel 98's in a 181. Super excited to get these skis mounted up and on the snow!

Along with the skis I am getting the Rossi FKS 180, possibly the best binding ever made, cant wait!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast