Quantcast
Economic slow down has me exploring jobs down South - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Economic slow down has me exploring jobs down South

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by killramos

More based on the fact that we have a national accreditation board.

In the US noone regulates engineering state to state which leads to wide variances in what is taught. I have heard in some cases people graduate with engineering degrees there with 30% less course hours than a Canadian program. Which is why the FE was created, rather than keep track of what is taught in school they just test you on what you know in the end.

6 of one half a dozen of another i guess.
    I remember hearing that in school actually. I always had assumed it was a nationwide accreditation for them, still seems odd to me that it isn't.

On a side note, does anyone know how long the process is to get licensed to practice engineering in Arizona or Texas? from P.Eng to P.E.

My Ride
    Silverado

Don't quote me but I believe for Texas it's not a long process and you don't need to take the FE exam

Yeah, its supposed to be a breeze in Nevada, Arizona and Texas...

But still curious as to timelines of "a breeze".

All other states can be tedious, as you have to write the FE and go through more hurdles.

My Ride
    Silverado

One thing you can do is get your PE in one of the easier states then transfer it to wherever you want easily.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 02:14 PM.

My Ride
    X5

Originally posted by pheoxs
    TN visa can be had at the airport in as little as 15 minutes (though once it took 2-3hrs due to the lineup) so long as you have all the proper paperwork in order. Was cheaper than I expected too haha. Just make sure the offer letter is for a specified term (<3yrs) and not a full-timer permanent position, I've heard they can be sticky about that for some reason. Then just renew everything when the time comes.

Not sure how the FE works, if that matters to them even, I'm in a similar situation and looking at jobs south of the border in the near future. I currently have a TN visa with my employer (travel to the US for projects) but I believe I need re-apply for a new TN visa when I eventually cross the border.

That is mainly true because in the US they need to write the FE and PE exams to become licensed whereas here we only need the ethics exam which is kind of a joke. For us it's just get it done and then get your PEng, for them it's weeks of studying and prep for their exams and fees to write them, so a lot of people don't pursue it if not needed.
    Is there a good source online for doing this? I checked the US gov site for TN visa's, but its a bit vague. What kind of paperwork do you need, and who issues it at the airport? Homeland security?

Sorry just looking for more details.

Thanks

I understand you need your passport and potential employers letter for employment. It's pretty simple I hear... the border officers likely run some background info on you at the airport and you are good to go within a few hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2