Quantcast
Calgary kid fetanyl overdose thought he bought oxycontin - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary kid fetanyl overdose thought he bought oxycontin

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by killramos

I have apparently been using both interchangeably lol

Edit: I should note that i mean using the words, not the drugs or women with capes
    Now if you can have both together, that will be quite the party.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by SOAB
    Where were his parents? why weren't they keeping an eye on him? they should throw them in jail for gross negligence.
    That is just fucking retarded. Kids get to a point that they will do what they want to do or possibly bend to peer pressure. As a parent you can only hope that all your messages to them over the years have sunk in and they will make the right decisions. The kid was 18 not 8!!

What do you suggest a parent do, put an ankle bracelet on them and make them wear a fucking helmet everywhere.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    550i, X5

Originally posted by rotten42

That is just fucking retarded. Kids get to a point that they will do what they want to do or possibly bend to peer pressure. As a parent you can only hope that all your messages to them over the years have sunk in and they will make the right decisions. The kid was 18 not 8!!

What do you suggest a parent do, put an ankle bracelet on them and make them wear a fucking helmet everywhere.
    Dude, he was kidding. It has been stated already.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

And dealers absolutely do try to get their customers onto other more expensive drugs, don't kid yourselves.

Just curious, what are you basing this absolute information on that we should not be kidding ourselves about?

My Ride
    550i, X5

Originally posted by killramos

I don't know, i don't do drugs and as such don't get high.

For your premise i would agree that drinking girly things like sourpuss is a gateway to harder liquor like vodka

Though since they are all of the same legality someone is more likely to get dangerously drunk ( alcohol poisoning or whatever) on vodka than sourpuss , though they are the same difficulty to attain.
    No I mean literally replacing the words. As in, alcohol could be your first "high" that you would enjoy, leading you to want to try another "high" as you stated.
    Basically what I'm saying is any argument that can be made for weed being a gateway drug, could be used equally for alcohol being a gateway drug.
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

A790- I know some very well respected businessmen that are total pot heads.. That doesn't mean they are getting high at work, doing heroin or cocaine. Doing one drug doesn't mean you'll automatically do others like some are suggesting.

I've seen quite a few good articles in the news highlighting the many issues with addicts or the access to hard core drugs since reading about this kids example. 145 deaths from the one drug seems extremely high and I'm surprised it's not getting much more notice. Maybe a broader discussion will continue since these parents have spoken out.

I remember in my rave days they had posters plastered at the raves or bars warning people... The rave safe volunteers would sell kits for people to test their ecstasy with to try and help keep people safe. I wonder what if anything schools, bars or rave clubs are doing.

There is no easy answer to this fetanyl problem other then parents educating their kids... so far I've only had to talk about smoking cigarrettes or weed with my son but will that have to change once he hits grade 7?? Ugh!!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by EM2FTL

Just curious, what are you basing this absolute information on that we should not be kidding ourselves about?
    Just curious, why have you not asked the same question/doubting of anyone on the basis of their statements in this thread?

But to answer your question, friends and acquaintances, as with most people in this thread (except for the ones who openly admit it, good for them, but that doesn't give them anymore credence, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal). I don't do drugs, never have, never will

And its pretty straightforward, if somebody is in business to make money, why wouldn't they push whatever they can sell? Unless drug dealers are just an altruistic bunch who never try to push anything

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

I would think a good dealer should not have to push a single thing? Isn't the point of business to have people push for the dealers product?

There's good car dealerships and there is The Gallery Of Fine Cars
    There's good cops and bad cops
    there's "fair" dealers and bad ones.

I think its when dumb, meets bad. Worlds blow up, and someone gets stabbed. No amount of parenting or legalization / knowledge will fix dumb meeting bad.
    Last edited by OneGreasyHobo; 08-12-2015 at 04:06 PM.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Just curious, why have you not asked the same question/doubting of anyone on the basis of their statements in this thread?

But to answer your question, friends and acquaintances, as with most people in this thread (except for the ones who openly admit it, good for them, but that doesn't give them anymore credence, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal). I don't do drugs, never have, never will

And its pretty straightforward, if somebody is in business to make money, why wouldn't they push whatever they can sell? Unless drug dealers are just an altruistic bunch who never try to push anything
    Because no other user on here consistently calls me out for "BS"... so I thought it would be fun to see if you're pulling a statement out of your ass, with no actual knowledge-base.

Thanks for confirming

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by A790

Pot can be enjoyed responsibly. I can't make the same argument for Oxy/etc.
    I dont disagree with you that it can be used responsibly. I just don't think it generally is.

I think it is worth noting that people who use drugs and don't use drugs have different inherent biases towards the topic. Neither of them imo more correct or incorrect than the other. You can similarly tell when someone who does use drugs approaches the topic.

Me, i take my opinion of the topic from what i have personally experienced combined with education on the topic.

Unfortunately i cannot say i have ever witnessed an experience where anyone i know who uses pot has influenced their lives for the better.

I knew a friend in junior high who was an early user of weed, very nice guy to. Normal kid, had good grades etc. His grades started slipping after the drugs. By grade 10 he was in all remedial classes, barely attending school etc. Sometime around then he started getting into harder stuff, from what i could tell he tried everything he could get his hands on. At first recreationally, then dependently. Dropped out of normal school, ended up at an alternative high school. Died in his sleep of an overdose in grade 12.

I have a couple buddies who are major stoners, started in high school and became an obsession by now. Now i can barely get them to do anything outside their house because to them in the question of go out and spend time with friends or sit on the couch by myself and get high. Getting high always wins. The only time i see them any more is if i go there and if they do come out they are leaving a couple times in the night to smoke in their car etc.

I have an uncle who is disabled and suffers from chronic pain from a motor cycle accident. His ping mechanism is being high 24/7. Has his own grow op etc. He got a license to grow his own a few years back when you could still do that. He just smoked more. Me and the rest of my family, his kids, have watched him deteriorate mentally over the years from the drugs. Really sad. Maybe he would have been worse off on prescription meds, i don't know. But it has definitely affected him.

I know another guy, he is pretty responsible about it. Probably of all the people i know who smoke he is doing the best with it. But for him its still an obsession. He manages to get out plenty, does sports etc, but he can't go a 20 minute drive without vaping the stuff.

In all the cases of people i know who use weed, it defines them.

Now i personally cant say that i know anyone who alcohol has has a positive affect on their lives. Heck i have members of my family who are recovering alcoholics. But i do know lots of people who do drink socially and manage to still go about their lives normally. Again i just don't personally see that with many people who smoke weed.

So for me in the debate on legalization? I don't see anyone being better off for it. Hence i am against legalization as a go forward move. If it was already legal i don't think i would push for prohibition. But i certainly wouldn't encourage its use.

I just don't see alcohol being legal as a good enough reason for legalizing drugs.

Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
    No I mean literally replacing the words. As in, alcohol could be your first "high" that you would enjoy, leading you to want to try another "high" as you stated.
    Basically what I'm saying is any argument that can be made for weed being a gateway drug, could be used equally for alcohol being a gateway drug.
    Thought i openly admit to never using drugs from what i understand being drunk is a VERY different chemical system for your brain than being high. With opiate highs and cannabis highs being much more similar than they are different.

As such why i don't consider alcohol to be a gateway drug, you are chasing a different experience. But then again what do i know.
    Last edited by killramos; 08-12-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Coincidental timing - An academic study on the causes of addiction, in comic form:

http://imgur.com/a/pI8Nm?gallery&

My Ride
    You Crazy

The belief in the noble drug dealer.... lol. I think it's cute.

about 80% of the younger adults I work with have a drug problem, and their dealers are far from noble. lol

But maybe the drug dealer in the Hamptons is more "respectable" than the guy in Compton.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Coincidental timing - An academic study on the causes of addiction, in comic form:

http://imgur.com/a/pI8Nm?gallery&
    Here....

http://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari...ng?language=en

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Because selling marijuana (schedule VIII)will get you a lot less time in jail (in Canada), vs Schedule I or II drugs. It's not like all drug dealers are "the bad guys".

You seem to think the world is black and white, I suggest you try looking past that.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You seem to think the world is black and white, I suggest you try looking past that.
    The world is only grey to those whose needs it suits as being such, I suggest opening your eyes Please do tell us about the drug dealers you've had discussions with on their choice of only dealing weed so they don't go to jail as long if caught versus dealing other drugs. I am sure Vice would love to hear that story

Because no other user on here consistently calls me out for "BS"... so I thought it would be fun to see if you're pulling a statement out of your ass, with no actual knowledge-base.

Thanks for confirming
    No problem, as long as we're clear anecdotal evidence is only allowed from some and not others, but that's a fairly common hypocritical link in most of your posts, that your information provided from others or read about trumps the opposing view

My Ride
    You Crazy

Because selling marijuana (schedule VIII)will get you a lot less time in jail (in Canada), vs Schedule I or II drugs. It's not like all drug dealers are "the bad guys".

No, no, they are white knights, in shining armor.

I completely agree with this. Ted talks had a recent talk on addiction. And the guy was right, if you gave everyone in the crowd in the room heroin, (from my understanding), most wouldn't become "addicted" over the course of a months use. Oh sure, they'd suffer withdrawal, but they'd have no overriding desire to take the drug afterwards, if they even enjoyed the effects of said drug.

I also like people trying to distinguish a difference between oxy and fentanyl. Both are HIGHLY addictive, and both are bad for you. And dealers absolutely do try to get their customers onto other more expensive drugs, don't kid yourselves.

Oh yea, and methadone is a fucking joke. Again (my understanding) is its just as bad as the drugs people are using, just that its regulated There is no cure for addiction except will power.

Edit-
    I have very little sympathy for people who die of overdoses, just like I have very little pity for people who die of alcohol poisoning. This isn't the 60's anymore, even getting away from a morality/values argument standpoint, at least have a f*&king brain about it or darwin wins.
    I feel like you can't imagine the world any other way than how it appears to you. Once you have your mind made up that's it. No wiggle room for new evidence or sympathy for those who might experience the world differently than you do. The fact that you have little or no sympathy for drug addicts, to me, says it all.

Since you bring up Darwin you must be aware that everybody has a genetic pre disposition to addiction. Let's take alcohol for example because that has been studied quite a bit and it is proven some people have a higher genetic disposition towards it than others. Do you not realize that the control you possess over alcohol might be completely different than someone else? I don't consume much alcohol and could probably count the drinks I have each month on one hand, some months two. I have a lot of sympathy for individuals who cannot stop drinking or struggle with addiction. It must be terrible for them and their families.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

The world is only grey to those whose needs it suits as being such, I suggest opening your eyes Please do tell us about the drug dealers you've had discussions with on their choice of only dealing weed so they don't go to jail as long if caught versus dealing other drugs. I am sure Vice would love to hear that story

Um, well, there's myself. When I worked in the oil field, I would always bring a couple of lbs. and sell to the rest of the crew. Some guys wanted me to bring harder stuff in, but I wouldn't.

OH NOES THE COPS ARE GOING TO COME AFTER ME NOW!!! NEEEOOOOO!

Originally posted by Toma

No, no, they are white knights, in shining armor.
    Just like Hitempguy, black and white. Because, you know, there's nothing in between. You're either a white knight of humanity, or a scumbag drug dealer just waiting to poison little kids in the playground with heroin.

The two of you, who are so proud of never doing drugs in your lives have as much basis to talk about drugs dealing, as I do about dyno tuning. All you can go on is what your cognitive biased research tells you.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 08-12-2015 at 04:46 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

My current favorite combo, weed and a bottle of dom. Fucking feel rad. Won't touch anything else, I do like oxy (got prescribed it coming out of the hospital but had the shakes when I ran out, scary!)
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    You Crazy

Um, well, there's myself. When I worked in the oil field, I would always bring a couple of lbs. and sell to the rest of the crew. Some guys wanted me to bring harder stuff in, but I wouldn't.

OH NOES THE COPS ARE GOING TO COME AFTER ME NOW!!! NEEEOOOOO!

Just like Hitempguy, black and white. Because, you know, there's nothing in between. You're either a white knight of humanity, or a scumbag drug dealer just waiting to poison little kids in the playground with heroin.

The two of you, who are so proud of never doing drugs in your lives have as much basis to talk about drugs dealing, as I do about dyno tuning. All you can go on is what your cognitive biased research tells you.
    lol. Yeah, I can guarantee you, I saw more shit working the clubs for 12 years, and supporting persons with disabilities for the last 15, than you have in your 20 years of pot smoking.

No one can speak in absolutes, but VERY strong averages snd probability, is not an issue.

I also watched "Half Baked" once ;-)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast