Quantcast
Rolling back odometers - is that still a thing? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rolling back odometers - is that still a thing?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Default Rolling back odometers - is that still a thing?

So I'm looking at purchasing a vehicle, but there's a pretty major discrepancy between the cluster and what's coming back on the Carproof report. The cluster says 117K, Carproof says it was renewed in February and reported 174K.

Now, I thought with the electronic odometers and whatnot (the car is a 2006) that only dealerships had the ability to mess with the odo since it's stored in the BCM and other places. Is odometer rollback still a common occurrence, or is it more likely to be a misreporting of the mileage at the registry office?

Either way I'll see if the dealer can check the various stored odo readings and check for discrepancies when it's in for inspection. I'm just curious to know if odometer fuckery is still a thing that happens despite electronics and Carproof and whatnot.

My Ride
    Blue boy

It's still a thing unfortunately

Can't u also check what the car was last registered at before Feb (174k)? If it was registered at 90k 2yrs before that then u know its probably a mistake.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Well, that does come as a surprise considering the roadblocks in place to stop tampering. Is it crooked dealership mechanics doing it on the side? I just can't imagine the fee for rolling back a 2006 Dodge would be much compared to the risk of getting caught. Crazy. I still suspect a reporting error but I'm going to do my due diligence.

Originally posted by turbotrip
    Can't u also check what the car was last registered at before Feb (174k)? If it was registered at 90k 2yrs before that then u know its probably a mistake.
    Yeah the only other reported readings were 1800 in 2006 and 65,000 in 2010, so 117K seems more likely that 174K. ~1100km/month seems reasonable, while ~2200km/month would be less common.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    What I drive: Jeep of Theseus
    Just noticed. LOLed.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.

My Ride
    08 Civc LX, 03 Durango, 11 Duramax

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/04/01...raud-operation

"Plyusnin was charged last September with fraud over $5,000 for allegedly purchasing 54 vehicles with locally skimmed credit cards and rolling back their odometers."

Cant u pay a small amount and check with the registry to see what it was registered at?

In AB, odometer recording is voluntary. So, if thats whats showing, it could very well be due to an input error by a clerk. My guess is someone mixed up two numbers and didnt catch their error

My Ride
    550i, X5

This should tell you what you need to know:
    http://www.carfax.com/guides/buying-...meter-rollback
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Mibz
    Just noticed. LOLed.
    Glad somebody got it, not at all surprised it was you.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Keep in mind that Carproof is not immune to error

When I was selling my truck, they reported an ODO reading of 123,456km... when it had only 40K or so on it at the time of sale.

It took me weeks to get that sorted out; what it ended up being was when I brought some loose rims/tires into a shop to get mounted, the system forced them to enter a dummy number to proceed. That went under my truck VIN.

I think a lot of shop guys don't realize that dummy readings, or fat finger mistakes on their internal system, will end up being recorded permanently into the vehicles history.
    Haha, yikes. How did you manage to get it sorted out?

Originally posted by turbotrip
    Cant u pay a small amount and check with the registry to see what it was registered at?
    Not sure what you mean. The mileages I mentioned were from Alberta registry reporting.

Originally posted by dannie
    In AB, odometer recording is voluntary. So, if thats whats showing, it could very well be due to an input error by a clerk. My guess is someone mixed up two numbers and didnt catch their error
    Yeah, any system that is voluntary, self-reported and unverified seems like it would be pretty fraught with error.

The worst part is that even if it's an error, if I buy it and register it, it's going to look like I was the one who rolled back the odometer, haha.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

What is the seller's explanation for the discrepancy? They should want to get that rectified if they don't want to seem like a fishy seller.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Swank
    What is the seller's explanation for the discrepancy? They should want to get that rectified if they don't want to seem like a fishy seller.
    I shot him an email this morning about it but I haven't heard back yet.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.

I wouldn't touch it unless the seller can convince Carproof to change the mileage. If he can't be bothered to do that, maybe he doesn't want anyone looking into it because it's not a mistake. Mistake or not, you will also be stuck trying to explain it when someone Carproof's the car when you sell it in the future.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Certain cars (eg. 1st gen Ford Focus) have the odometer mileage stored in the cluster so a simple swap can "roll back" the amount of kms.

My Ride
    is broken

My Datsun only has 5 digits. Just keep driving till it rolls itself back
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I got in contact with them (which was awful as they are severely understaffed for doing any kind of customer service) through e-mail. They originally told me there was nothing I could do because it was automatically generated and they don't change any data.

I had to pry it out of them who they got the data from which took a few days of me guessing, and them telling me "No, not them".

After I finally found out I contacted the service shop, and they basically said it was just a dummy number, but they were unable to change it in their internal system.

So after more e-mail back and forth between Carproof and the service center they eventually believed me and removed it from the report.

I'd say it took 3 weeks, and I could have easily lost my buyer in that time.
    Brutal, just brutal. I'll bet the guy had no idea that throwing in the 123456 number would get reported anywhere. Wonder how many vehicles they did that to!

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I wouldn't touch it unless the seller can convince Carproof to change the mileage. If he can't be bothered to do that, maybe he doesn't want anyone looking into it because it's not a mistake. Mistake or not, you will also be stuck trying to explain it when someone Carproof's the car when you sell it in the future.
    Yeah that's pretty much exactly how I ended up handling it - told him that he'd need to get the mileage issue sorted out before the deal could go anywhere as me eventually having to sell the vehicle as a TMU is a no-go . Felt bad because it's really not his fault and it's probably just a registry screwup, but I'm giving him some time to get it sorted.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 01:26 PM.

My Ride
    2003 Nissan 350z

swapped cluster?

2003 Nissan 350z - Daily Driver
    2003 Lexus IS300 5spd - SOLD
    1994 Acura Integra Frankenstein - SOLD
    1999 Honda Prelude SH - SOLD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast