Quantcast
Lactose Intolerant - New, Help? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lactose Intolerant - New, Help?

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Unhappy Lactose Intolerant - New, Help?

After over a year of feeling horrible, I finally got a good doctor that ran a bunch of tests to figure out the problem. Well today I found out I'm lactose intolerant... huge surprise to me since I've always drank a ton of milk and eaten many dairy products my entire life. What life is worth living without pizza?!?! mmmmm pizza

Anyways, doctor told me to cut out 100% for at least a year, then I can try some foods. I know that's going to be difficult, but I want to try to eliminate all of it to feel better. I know I can get medication, but I don't want to rely on it and would rather change my diet at least for the first bit especially since I don't think I'll be able to tell if the medication is actually working.

I suspect some of the members on here are lactose intolerant, so I'm seeking some advise...

1. Any good resources I can read? Doctor explained some basic things, but then gave me a crappy brochure. I've googled some things.

2. Any advice on things I should avoid? Perhaps a list of foods that contain lactose that I may not be aware about?

3. Restaurants... Any restaurants that are good to eat at? Chains that are easier to eat at?

I don't eat a ton of fast food, but occasionally there's a time where I have to grab something. Is there anywhere that's easier to find food to eat?

4. I've been going to the gym since I've finished school and work in an office now. I have been having protein shakes, can't take the powered I have anymore though... Anything else I can take? or just don't take anything?

Any help would be appreciated... never really had any dietary concerns so I'm kind of clueless how to live my life now.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 08-13-2015 at 05:17 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Muscle Milk for protein shakes supposedly are lactose free.

Are you lactose intolerant or lactose sensitive? Can be misdiagnosed. Known a few people who built themselves back up to drinking milk with probiotic prodcuts to get that bacteria back up in your bowels.

My Ride

Originally posted by HomespunLobster
    Muscle Milk for protein shakes supposedly are lactose free.

Are you lactose intolerant or lactose sensitive? Can be misdiagnosed. Known a few people who built themselves back up to drinking milk with probiotic prodcuts to get that bacteria back up in your bowels.
    I'll look into muscle milk. Thanks

My doctor told me to cut 100% out. I asked him how severe I was and he told me it's either you are or you're not lactose intolerant. No in between, he said I was. I asked him about my test results and it showed that my body didn't break down the lactose at all. They test the sugar levels during the period of the test, correct? Mine didn't change.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 08-13-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Lots of protein powders that are lactose free. Cut out milk and ice cream completely. Go easy on the cheese for a bit and just do some trial and error. I can't handle milk and ice cream but if I have 4 slices of pizza I'm fine. Never actually tested though.

My Ride

For me it's not a bathroom issue, so the indications aren't immidiate. Upset stomach, feeling bloated/nauseous and overall feeling horrible. I'm just going to cut it all out, hopefully feel better for an extended period of time and then do some trial and error.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by HomespunLobster
    Known a few people who built themselves back up to drinking milk with probiotic prodcuts to get that bacteria back up in your bowels.
    I didn't even know about this. I should look into this. Any suggestions?

For me, it's only milk that gives me painful cramps and gas. I have no issues with cheese, yogurt, ice cream or anything. Just anything with liquid milk. For that I get lactaid drops to break down the lactose when I buy jugs of milk and I keep chewable tablets around for anytime I go get a milkshake or something on the go.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I didn't even know about this. I should look into this. Any suggestions?

For me, it's only milk that gives me painful cramps and gas. I have no issues with cheese, yogurt, ice cream or anything. Just anything with liquid milk. For that I get lactaid drops to break down the lactose when I buy jugs of milk and I keep chewable tablets around for anytime I go get a milkshake or something on the go.
    I can't quote from experience, just from conversation. Just built up with yogurt and certain cheeses. mainly yogurt. One guy started witha spoonful of yogurt a day and now can just eat anything dairy.
    I'm no doctor, I don't say this will work. Some people just can't do dairy. But doesn't hurt to try right? (Well, hurts the budget on the toilet paper bill)

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Originally posted by NoPulp
    For me it's not a bathroom issue, so the indications aren't immidiate. Upset stomach, feeling bloated/nauseous and overall feeling horrible. I'm just going to cut it all out, hopefully feel better for an extended period of time and then do some trial and error.
    Just cut it out completely... Your body will thank you. If you want to indulge get some Lactace digestive enzymes for the occasion you eat some dairy. You will be fine dont worry.

For me I an very lactose intolerant. Even 0 lactose protein powder bothers me. Any cheese, yogurt, milk is a no go for me unless I take some lactace. But overall it has made me much more healthy as a result and forced me to learn about nutrition.

My Ride

That's how I've been trying to look at it, a good excuse to manage my diet.

I was pretty freaked out about things at first, but it should be easy to manage at home. Though I do have to cut some of my favorite foods out...

My major concern is restaurants and fast food...

My Ride
    TDi

Life as you know it has ended..
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by roopi
    Cut out milk and ice cream completely.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysande...ats#.purjb2kXE

My Ride

Thank you for the link!
    I've noticed the frozen yogurt places have a lot of selection for dairy free too. Luckily I've lost my sweet tooth from being so sick since that's one of the tings that upset my stomach the most. Same with alcohol, excited that one day I may be able to have more than one beverage.

My Ride
    Exploded.

You can get lactose-free milk nowadays.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I figured this out in high school which was many moons ago.

Love chocolate milk. Would have the runs about 1 hour later. Took me a while to correlate it.

Anyway, I can't drink milk or eat white cheese like mozzarella (pizza) kills me.

I can have yogurt / frozen yogurt without any issues. I can also tolerate cheddar cheese.

When I eat yoga matt subway sandwiches, I always get cheddar or else I get the runs.

If I want ice cream, I eat one or two lactaid tablets before I enjoy. If I don't have lactaid (which is most of the time) then I don't get to eat ice cream.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Im not so sure I buy the Lacotse tolerant or not bit... I know some people that get cramps and dia instantly, where I just get slightly bloated and gassy.

For me I mostly try to cut out milk, yogurt and newer cheeses (old harder cheeses like parmesan etc are fine) then have lactose pills when I get a craving for pizza etc. I also find some items are better or worse then others.. like McDonalds ice cream isnt that bad, compared to say Hagen Daas or Village. (Full cream)
    For the Lactose free milk, I found lactaid to be the best.. which Starbucks also carries which is nice.

My Ride
    TDi

I haven't been tested, but find that I get major runs when I drink milk/milkshakes/desserts. There are some things where I am fine and don't bother with taking pills like cheese, yogurt, and the occasional ice cream as well. Milkshakes and regular milk are death..
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Evo, civic

^im super intolerant to lactose so i just carry lactase pills literally everywhere. Have a bottle on both cars, 1 at home and 1 at work, 1 at my friends house and at the my parents. Nothing will be on the way between pizza and me haha.

Starbucks is great like you said. For Yogurt, theres is a lactose feee one. Cant remember the name but that greek yougurt company makes it and it is delicious!

My Ride

Again I dont have bathroom issues that all of you are describing.

It's my stomach, like my stomach lining is screwed up and makes me feel ill. I haven't read about any "conditions" like mine, but lactose intolerance defintely showed up in the lab results. So I need to cut it all out for an extended period of time (recommended a year at least) to allow my body to return to normal. I understand there's certain things that may not affect me but I don't know what those are right now. I don't have an immidiate signs like "the runs".

My Ride
    Exploded.

Usually, any processed grains have some lactose in them (cheap sugar):

Granola bars, pancake mix thingies, etc. Just gotta start reading the label.

My Ride

Yeah went shopping last night and read everything. At home I can manage my diet easily. Eating out is going to be difficult...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast