Quantcast
moving to Edmonton- where to live - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: moving to Edmonton- where to live

Default moving to Edmonton- where to live

Hi all,
    Wife got a job offer in Edmonton and said I have to go too.
    Where are good neighbourhoods?
    Also if anyone is able to give a Calgary equivalent that would be helpful(ie, Windimerer = aspen woods...)
    thanks everyone,

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Are u rich? If so, anywhere in Southside in the newer areas. Windermere area is nice.

Just stay stay stay away from Millwoods. Its like Calgarys Dover/Forest Lawn/Erin Woods.

Myself, I live in the Northside, in the Eaux Claires area. Its decent, I like the area, and amenities around there.

I use to live in the ghetto Clareview.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Really need more information to help out, like where you will be working, what kind of transit time is acceptable, as was bluntly stated "are you rich", condo townhouse or house etc.

Windermere is hands down the nicest new community in the south. Architecturally controlled, just a beautiful area overall.

Don't go north of the yellowhead, its a shithole up there (I consider anything north of the yellowhead to not be part of Edmonton lol).

The Henday from around 82ave to the yellowhead overpass on the east side is FUCKED and will continue to be for at least another year if not two. If you don't want to kill yourself, avoid it, the traffic is worse than deerfoot backed up.

75th street between whitemud and wayne gretzky drive during rush hour times is a god damn nightmare as well.

111th street is a nightmare again during rush hour.

Rush hour makes me want to murder people, so thats why I am providing this advice

Bonnie Doon is a nice, older area and everything is getting turned into infills. Expect those to start at at least $600k if not more. The great thing about it is its central-ish location while being away from everything. Definitely a more family orientated subdivision.

Stay away from millhoods as noted, silverberry is ok except it is brown town so every house has 5 families living in it and 4 taxis on the driveway. I lived there for a year though and it was nice, quiet and peaceful, but it may have gone south in the past three years.

I also like rutherford (where I am currently at). Very nice neighbourhood, its been mostly developed for a while now but it is the most modern " old" subdivision. Every white person that owns a lane home refuses to take care of their front yard, but besides that its good (and full of asians, I dont quite know why).

Thanks Guys!
    More details:
    We both work from home but she'll need to get to the north side and I, downtown ocassionally ( so I guess stay by the Henday/ Whitemud?)

We'd like to stay south west
    A newer home
    Decent lot size
    Close to nature trails
    We like bells and whistles

Would like to stay in the 700ish price

If I was to live in Edmonton I would be looking in the following areas.

- Belgravia
    - Parkallen
    - Allendale
    - McKernan
    - Queen Alex
    - Grandview Heights

That said. I prefer central older in-fill/reno areas more than the new suburbs with cookie cutter mini-mansions.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Are u rich? If so, anywhere in Southside in the newer areas. Windermere area is nice.

Just stay stay stay away from Millwoods. Its like Calgarys Dover/Forest Lawn/Erin Woods.

Myself, I live in the Northside, in the Eaux Claires area. Its decent, I like the area, and amenities around there.

I use to live in the ghetto Clareview.

What this guy said. The south is nice! But I like the north side! And oddly enough I'm in eaux Claire as well.. Lol
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

My Ride
    01 i30

In the north side Griesbach is nice. It was an old army based turned into a community. It might be worth it to look at St. Albert if your wife is working in the north side of Edmonton.

My Ride
    '16 GMC HD '94 MKIV SUPRA

St Albert is awesome SW EDM is good, griesbach is way to expensive and its not a great area IMO. Inner city is a good bet if you want the best return on your money within the next 10 years as Edmonton continues to revitalize down town. Good luck on your search!

My Ride
    E90

St. Albert - suburb that is north and secluded from Edmonton. Very nice, but very high property taxes.

Glenora- more central, and very well established neighborhood, this is a pricey area, but 700k should get you something decent.

For your price range you can buy a very good house in almost any part of Edmonton.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Aaaaaron
    In the north side Griesbach is nice. It was an old army based turned into a community. It might be worth it to look at St. Albert if your wife is working in the north side of Edmonton.

That area is crazy expensive for the amount of house and style of house you get. Houses so close together and weird community layout.

Originally posted by brandon

What this guy said. The south is nice! But I like the north side! And oddly enough I'm in eaux Claire as well.. Lol
    Yeah North Side has character, but I don't want too much ghetto character hence in Eaux Claire and not further near North near Clareview/Newton. But the drive to work is a bit long for me, I work on Ellersie Road/Gateway Park/Heritage Valley so my only choice is Henday West to work which is decent but winter time, I hope its not a nightmare. Considering a move to the Southside but dunno what kind of house I can buy

The new up and coming area seems to be Heritage Valley. They are building a bunch of luxury car dealerships in that area to cater to the wealthy clients surrounding there so might an area you want to check out?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 08-14-2015 at 12:10 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    changes every year

If I had to live in Edmonton, I wouldn't live in Edmonton, I would say fort sask. It's a really nice small town kind of feel with really nice areas.

Highway 21 is right there, all the junctions to get to Edmonton are right there and it's only a 15 minute drive to Edmonton If you really have to go there, otherwise the fort has everything you need.

I live there when I'm working and I've almost considered moving there permanently, but decided against it.

I lived in Edmonton for many years so I can give you some advice.

I would avoid older areas in North Edmonton except for the newer developments but I think you will find those a bit isolated from everything.

Since you mentioned SW, you have a plethora of options.

Windermere has been mentioned many times, very nice area but Windermere and further "Heritage Valley" developments are going to extend the length of Ellerslie Road essentially all the way to Highway 2 which is part of the reason why they are building that new overpass. I have family and friends in Windermere, all your amenities are located within the area but I am starting to find it is becoming quite congested.

Other areas in the SW are Terwillegar Gardens/Magrath (think of this as Springbank Hill / Aspen). These developments are on the south side of 23 ave on Rabbit Hill Road. If you go north on Rabbit Hill Road you can find very nice, more mature "wealthy" areas like Falconer Heights or Whitemud Hills. This is basically the core of SW or some people refer to everything north of 23 ave as Riverbend. Eagle Ridge is also a very nice, posh area which is close by.

Now, if you want to take it down a notch but still be in a nice area then consider newer SW communities like Rutherford, Macewan, Chapelle, Allard, Blackmud Creek. An older SW community is Twin Brooks which is very family friendly and has some nice homes.

Another great area is Summerside. You have your own private lake and there are some very nice homes there, it is also more centrally located and close to South Edmonton Common. I lived there for a while and really liked it. I would not recommend any of the other neighbourhoods in that area such as Ellerslie.

Originally posted by psi_klops
    Thanks Guys!
    More details:
    We both work from home but she'll need to get to the north side and I, downtown ocassionally ( so I guess stay by the Henday/ Whitemud?)

A newer home
    Decent lot size
    Close to nature trails

If you're looking in the SW I sell new homes in a community called Creekwood Chappelle and have a couple quick move-in specs available.

Thanks Guys!
    More details:

A newer home
    Decent lot size
    Close to nature trails

I would recommend SW. Upper windermere or windermere one . I wouldn't recommend North Edmonton.

North side is not developed as the south side of Edmonton. south is way better. you will see the difference with in minutes of driving by.

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by kobe tai

If you're looking in the SW I sell new homes in a community called Creekwood Chappelle and have a couple quick move-in specs available.
    i stake houses in Chappelle on the weekly.
    im a surveyor and all the new communties are the same anyways. depends on how far away from things you want to be.

i live by Nait. in an old Neighborhood that the suburb people are afraid to live in. never had a single problem in 10 years of being here. or heard of anything happening.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Just went through this. Your price range will give you lots of choice. Magrath is really nice/new and also close to trails but further away. Pretty nice suburb.

Windermere and Summerside are nice, but the commute might be hell if you need to go North and to downtown during rush hour.

If you'd consider older communities close to more independent restaurants, shops, Whyte Ave (hipster trendy shit etc.) I would consider some of the above mentioned neighbourhoods like:

- Belgravia
    - Parkallen
    - Allendale
    - McKernan
    - Queen Alexandra
    - Ritchie (just moved here, love it - would tick all your boxes if you get infill, maybe not big lots)
    - Hazeldean
    - Strathcona
    - Bonnie Doon
    - Strathearn

St. Albert would fit the bill too since your wife will be north and it's not too bad to downtown. Other sought after neighbourhoods are Grovenor, Westmount, Glenora, Crestwood, Laurier Heights. Griesbach is nice but expensive.

Even though the population is less than Calgary's, depending on your route, the traffic can be much worse.

This should be taken with a grain of salt like Calgary's list, but take a look at this years and maybe past years lists as well.

http://www.avenueedmonton.com/City-L...eighbourhoods/

Thanks Guys!
    More details:

A newer home
    Decent lot size
    Close to nature trails

why don't you just start with renting and spend some time to get familiar with this city before buying? Invest 700ish now anywhere in Alberta isn't a good move imo.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by oz388

why don't you just start with renting and spend some time to get familiar with this city before buying? Invest 700ish now anywhere in Alberta isn't a good move imo.
    Definitely a good point and one that we are considering.

Just some thoughts... all these people aren't considering your need to get down town or to the north side. For example Creek wood is in the middle of no where, no businesses and would be the absolutely opposite end of the world to get to the north side.

I have a rental property in Windermere and while it's a fabulous neighbourhood the sw section of the henday is ridiculous during rush hour and always will be. You'll need to keep in mind getting downtown or to the north side is far from convenient from anywhere in the sw but you work from home so maybe the times you'll travel won't be a problem. It definitely has the nature trails and amenities and will only get better being one of the more affluent neighbourhoods.

There are lots of great neighbourhoods on the northern edge especially if you stay around the henday. For example trumpeter at big lake... Lots of nature. There are lots of great options others aren't considering.

One good thing for you is the 600-700k price point isn't very hot in Edmonton. It's a more challenging price point even in Windermere where the prices can push into the millions. In all of Edmonton the month of July only had 11 sales in the $700-749k price point. The $650-699k only had 30.

The best way to see these areas is to work with a realtor to show you a few houses in each area you might be interested In. Even if you decide to rent for a bit they can give you the full tour of different areas.

Good luck with the move and your new home search.
    Last edited by gwill; 08-16-2015 at 09:32 PM.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

Having lived in Edmonton for 20+ years i can give you one small piece of advice. Live close to work, but in a nice neighbourhood.

There are great places all over the city to live and even the suburbs are great. Sherwood Park, St. Albert and Beaumont are nicer places. I would avoid Ft Sask just due to the commute and that goes for Stony Plain and Spruce Grove.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast