Quantcast
McKnight widening project - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McKnight widening project

Default McKnight widening project

So work has begun on adding a third lane in each direction on McKnight Boulevard between 12th and 19th Streets NE plus some new pathways - a welcome infrastructure addition but there will still be the bottleneck between Deefroot and 4th Street NW which will remain for years to come. Hopefully, they rip up and redo everything on McKnight in the project area so they can properly address the annual frost heave problems.

Link to CoC project page.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Yeah, this week hasn't been to bad, as they wait until 9am to start, and finish at 3pm as to not interrupt traffic. At the same time though, they should be working like 8pm to 5 am. They could be getting a lot more done.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Now the 50km/h rolling roadblock can be three cars wide. Woo.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mibz
    Now the 50km/h rolling roadblock can be three cars wide. Woo.
    Nah, now that it'll be 3 full lanes, people will treat it like glenmore and crowchild, and do 110km.h

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Nah, now that it'll be 3 full lanes, people will treat it like glenmore and crowchild, and do 110km.h
    I don't think I've ever been in traffic going more than 82km/h on Glenmore. I'm jealous.

you forget that Glenmore/Crowchild isn't the NE.

They will be doing 65, 59, 70 km/hr in each lane respectively.. 2 of them will have their blinkers on while making themselves dizzy with all the 100's of shoulder checks.
    Curse you imageshack..

My Ride
    Busa

This will only solve the eastbound morning traffic. Westbound evening traffic will still backup at Deerfoot. I would like to see the city add pacing lights to all on-ramps. There is absolutely no good reason for Deerfoot to be such a clusterfuck between McKnight and Beddington. All of the off ramps are pretty free flowing, it's just general congestion from people exiting/entering Deerfoot.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mibz
    I don't think I've ever been in traffic going more than 82km/h on Glenmore. I'm jealous.
    BRZ doesn't have 400hp.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    This will only solve the eastbound morning traffic. Westbound evening traffic will still backup at Deerfoot. I would like to see the city add pacing lights to all on-ramps. There is absolutely no good reason for Deerfoot to be such a clusterfuck between McKnight and Beddington. All of the off ramps are pretty free flowing, it's just general congestion from people exiting/entering Deerfoot.
    The reason it's a clusterfuck is because A) every idiot on Deerfoot lines up in the right hand lane after 32nd ave even though they are taking the Beddington offramp, and B) the off-ramp from W/B Mcknight to N/B Deerfoot ENDS. If it kept going to 64th, traffic could flow onto Deerfoot a LOT easier.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Why waste money on this when the problem is the merge to Deerfoot north off McKnight?

My Ride

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Why waste money on this when the problem is the merge to Deerfoot north off McKnight?
    Because bike path. (seriously, it's included in this widening development)

My Ride

What about the merge onto Mcknight from Deerfoot that can back up Deerfoot to 64 ave (North) or 16 ave (South) in the winter?

There are many problems with that area. I'm happy they are addressing one of them. I can't wait for them to close 12 ave off to left turns.

My Ride
    Bicycle

IMO, there should be no Deerfoot access on McKnight and just keep it as East/West corridor. Traffic can go to 64th or 32nd if they need Deerfoot.

My Ride

IMO, there should be no Deerfoot access on McKnight and just keep it as East/West corridor. Traffic can go to 64th or 32nd if they need Deerfoot.
    Mcknight is a major trucking route, and one of a few that can handle double-long tractor trailers. Closing 32 and 64 makes more sense, as they are low capacity roads

In reality, there's probably twice as many access points to Deerfoot as there should have been.

64th, 32nd, maybe 17th and Southland should have been ditched in the original plan and better interconnecting street infrastructure to the other not named cross connections like McKnight.

Why can't you get onto Deerfoot north from Beddington? Were they scared you would run off to Edmonton?

- Paid for by Alnoor Kassam for Mayor Campaign

My Ride
    Looking for a new ride

Originally posted by Abeo

Mcknight is a major trucking route, and one of a few that can handle double-long tractor trailers. Closing 32 and 64 makes more sense, as they are low capacity roads

There is a reason why McKnight is a major truck route. It is because they closed Barlow Trail North.....the trucks need somewhere to go

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

they should be working like 8pm to 5 am. They could be getting a lot more done.
    That's not possible in Calgary construction. That would be too efficient and they wouldn't be able to have cost overruns for taking 6 months longer than the planned duration of 2 weeks to complete the entire job.
    Because nothing will solve the problem of people thinking it's OK to merge at 65kph because they only need to get to 64 from McKnight; these are the same people who think 5 cars' length is not enough for them to merge so they need to brake and merge slower.
    Last edited by jwslam; 08-14-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Because it's the province's responsibility to upgrade Deerfoot so that project won't get done without significant investment from them.

The reason it's a clusterfuck is because A) every idiot on Deerfoot lines up in the right hand lane after 32nd ave even though they are taking the Beddington offramp, and B) the off-ramp from W/B Mcknight to N/B Deerfoot ENDS. If it kept going to 64th, traffic could flow onto Deerfoot a LOT easier.
    I get on there every day too. I think adding a second lane on the entrance to deerfoot could help a lot as well, one for the people coming off Mcknight westbound and another for those coming off eastbound, and once merged with Deerfoot, the far right carrying through to 64th...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast