Quantcast
Toma's come join me in hating Harper extravaganza - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Toma's come join me in hating Harper extravaganza

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default 7 Harper lies during debate...?

http://www.pressprogress.ca/7_times_...ing_the_debate

Does anyone actually disagree? Who here woukd give him the pass?
    "you thought there was a lot of truthiness flying around at the first debate of the election, you are not alone.

Here are seven of the biggest factual errors made by Stephen Harper at Thursday's debate:

1. "The reality" is Harper doesn't have a balanced budget

On two separate occasions during the leaders debate, Stephen Harper claimed Canada has a balanced budget.

"We have a budget that is balanced now and other countries don't," Harper said, later explaining "the reality is the figures out of the Department of Finance show that so far this year we are substantially in surplus."

Unfortunately for Harper, the Finance Canada report he referenced only looks at April and May. Another report from the Parliamentary Budget Officer looks ahead and takes into account dire new projections for the Canadian economy released by the Bank of Canada.

The PBO's projection says Canada will not balance its budget and will run a deficit of $1 billion this year, meaning Harper will run his eighth deficit in a row.

2. "The rest of the economy" is not growing
    debate-restoftheeconomy.jpg

Did you miss this one?

Seconds after Harper let slip that Canada may be in a recession after all, he began to explain that the "contraction" of the economy is "exclusively" or "almost exclusively in the energy sector" and "the rest of the economy is growing."

This is false. According to the latest data released by Statistics Canada just last week, the biggest contraction in the economy is not happening in the energy sector -- it's happening in the manufacturing sector.

Sharp declines in manufacturing, energy, utilities and wholesale trade (along with finance and the public sector) caused the economy to contract by 0.2% in May, while only construction, retail and "others" saw any growth.

Meanwhile, new job numbers released Friday by Statistics Canada show Canada lost 8,300 jobs in construction last month, 4,600 jobs in manufacturing and 2,000 jobs in the energy sector, although these have been off-set by new jobs in the service industry.

statcan-sectors-gdp.jpg

3. Cutting corporate taxes magically increases revenues?
    harper-creepygif.gif

What goes down must go up? How's that for magical thinking!

During the debate, Harper said "the reality is" thanks to his government's corporate tax cuts, Canada's "tax revenues actually went up from the business sector."

Yet as the chart below shows, corporate tax revenue (blue bars) is nowhere near what it was before Harper began slashing taxes for corporations.

cit-revenues-chart-e1411070221204.jpg

4. Harper's backbenchers are operating "more freely" than ever?

Although Harper's former backbenchers claim he's so controlling they're treated like "trained seals," Harper insists he allows them to operate "more freely" than MP's have been allowed in decades.

How free are they? Judging by this video, it seems Conservative MPs even have the freedom to monotonously read the exact same words into a video camera:

5. “Greenhouse gas emissions have actually gone down.” Until they went up again.
    debate-ghg.jpg

Harper also responded to criticism of his environmental record (the worst in the industrialized world, by the way) by claiming "greenhouse gas emissions have actually gone down."

Is that true?

Depends how selective you are. GHG emissions did go down following the 2008 recession, but then they started going back up when the economy started picking back up.

encan-ghgs.jpg

All things considered, as the Harper Government's own data shows, Canada is still well below the Copenhagen Accord target Harper himself agreed to back in 2009:

environment-canada-emissions-chart.png

6. Harper's own chart shows Canada does not have the "strongest employment growth in the G7"
    debate-employmentg7.jpg

Harper also claimed Canada has "the strongest employment growth in the G7." Is that true?

According to a chart in Harper's own budget document, the U.S. has had stronger "growth in employment" than Canada:

G7-jobcreation-chartbudget.jpg

On the other hand, Canada placed first in terms of growth of the labour market, but with a -0.1% growth in the employment rate, Canada places fourth in the G7 on this more important metric.

Harper could also brag about having the fifth lowest (or third highest) unemployment rate in the G7, but that would complicate his story.

And how does Harper's performance stack up against past Prime Ministers? It turns out Harper has the weakest job creation record of any Prime Minister since 1946:

harper-jobcreation-record.png

7. Northern Gateway's environmental assessment was so thorough, 300 scientists complained it was only "five short paragraphs"
    debate-northerngateway.jpg

How rigorous was the Northern Gateway pipeline project's environmental assessment?

Well, 300 scientists signed a letter that accused Northern Gateway's Joint Review Panel of only weighing the "economic benefits" while taking a "narrow view of the environmental risks and costs."

That and the Panel's review of the "environmental burdens" were only "five short paragraphs” long.

And all this after misleading PR campaigns, Harper's ministers labeling critics as 'radicals', and the Conservative government tabling reports that claimed fossil fuels improve air and water quality."

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Instead of posting why Harper is so bad, why don't you post (with references and verified facts) how the Liberals or NDP would do a better job of creating jobs, protecting the country and managing the economy both domestically and abroad?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

It's much easier to put him on ignore like the rest of us.

Default Re: 7 Harper lies during debate...?

Originally posted by Toma
    http://www.pressprogress.ca/7_times_...ing_the_debate

Does anyone actually disagree? Who here woukd give him the pass?
    who are you voting for?

communist!

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by FraserB
    Instead of posting why Harper is so bad, why don't you post (with references and verified facts) how the Liberals or NDP would do a better job of creating jobs, protecting the country and managing the economy both domestically and abroad?
    Why? Post a link to the lies the others told at the Debate.

or

Counter these claims.

Harper is a liar, or doesn't know whats going on.

A monkey could have done a better job. That's my claim.

During a time of near record Commodities prices, Record Oil prices, Miraculous American recovery (our #1 trading partner at ~80%)...

He couldn't balance the budget??

That can ONLY happen on purpose.
    Last edited by Toma; 08-09-2015 at 10:30 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by gwill
    It's much easier to put him on ignore like the rest of us.
    Hard to debate facts, I know.

Move along, you have nothing to offer.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default Re: Re: 7 Harper lies during debate...?

Originally posted by rob the knob

who are you voting for?

communist!
    Tough call.

I would like to vote Green, but strategically, I think only the NDP can rid us of wanna be dictator Harper.

So, a government like the American ideal of democracy, and "of the people, by the people, for the people".... or wanna be dictator closet hider boy?

Hmmm

Yeah, tough choice there.

My Ride
    G6

I've always voted Conservative, but I do agree that most of the above is true. Harper campaigning on a strong economy is a joke. He's run deficit after deficit with promise of balanced budget "next year", and I doubt it'll be any different this year. Campaigning on national defense is an even bigger mistake IMO. I don't think the Conservatives will get my vote this year.

If you have to insert a picture called 'harper-creepygif.gif' I question your overall journalistic ability.

I'm not a fan of Harper and agree that the Cons haven't been the greatest government, but for someone that has bitched continuously about biased mecia in the past you seem to be alright with a biased media source as long as they reflect your own bias.

So really you are no better than the shills you rage against.

Personally I wish the Liberals had chosen a real leader instead of a face as would have had a lot easier time supporting them, but I fear they will do what they think is popular instead of what is right as evident by their choice in leader.
    Last edited by Nitro5; 08-10-2015 at 06:01 AM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Harper travel bans too far? Imagine Harper using fear and propaganda.... no way.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...ives-terrorism

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default Unions seek injuction against another Harper Omnibus Illegal power grab.

Harper continues to attempt and circumvent worker rights....

Thirteen of the 17 unions are teaming up to file a motion in Ontario Superior Court early this week for an injunction to stop the Conservatives from using the new legislation contained in the budget bill that gives it the power to unilaterally impose a sick leave deal at any time.

The unions have already filed constitutional challenges against the bill, which allows the Conservatives to override the Public Service Labour Relations Act and impose a new deal whenever it wants. They argue the changes violate the right to free and collective bargaining as guaranteed by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

But they are now seeking an injunction to put those new powers on hold until the court rules on the constitutionality of the law.
    http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...uring-election

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Do you not agree that the sick-leave for Federal employees is a bit bogus? It is QUITE excessive. Of course, the governments prior agreed to it, so I don't think the federal gov should be able to simply "legislate away" their liabilities. That is the bullshit part of this.

It does need to change though.

My Ride
    Silverado

This sounds horrible, I don't know how anyone could get by on this

Under the new short-term sick leave system, this is what the government has proposed for public servants:
    Sick days per year: 5.
    Family-related leave days: 5.
    Volunteer/personal needs days: 2.
    Sick days a worker can bank per year: 0.
    right now they get 9.375 hours of sick leave per 75 hour month. AKA 15 days of sick time per year!

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

right now they get 9.375 hours of sick leave per 75 hour month. AKA 15 days of sick time per year!
    3 weeks paid time off, not including their holidays... I'm in the wrong industry

My Ride
    You Crazy

Not my, or your business. Sorry. Its a democraticaly decided issue. Harper has no right to decide whats fair.

Just another power grab, proof of his wanna be dictator status, and exposes you dictator supporters.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Now, he DOES have a right for force corporations to open their books, make them prove they csnt oay $20 an hour minimum wage ???

Or full benefits and medical??

My Ride
    You Crazy

I think the most obvious lie he told was claiming only the energy industry was hit.... When clearly, from May 2014 to now, 80% of the economy was impacted.

So, he either wants us to believe that he has no clue what is going on, or he lied about it.

Does anyone see a third choice?

My Ride
    550i, X5

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Originally posted by vengie

3 weeks paid time off, not including their holidays... I'm in the wrong industry
    Not that crazy. My last job was 4 weeks paid holidays, 5 sick days. I had 10 years of service there though, didn't get it all on day one.
    The company my wife works for has just implemented unlimited holiday time...so yes, we are in the wrong industry.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    You Crazy

I think Richard Branson did the same.

Sounds perfect. I also like the 25 years deal some have. Had I landed one of those jobs, I'd be retired already.

Good for them. Someone has to look after the well being of the family, and workers.

My Ride
    You Crazy

And if Unios werent doing it, you think private sector would even be close in pay and benefits?

hahahahah

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast