Quantcast
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 5 / S6 Edge Plus. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy NOTE 5 / S6 Edge Plus.

Default Samsung Galaxy NOTE 5 / S6 Edge Plus.

Pricing is now out for Canada, from Mobilesyrup:

"The Galaxy Note 5 will be available at majority of Canadian carriers, including Bell, Telus, Rogers, SaskTel, Wind and MTS on August 21st in Black Sapphire. The cost is expected to be around $850 for the 32GB model, $300 on a 2-year term."

"Samsung announced the Galaxy S6 edge+ earlier today, which is another dual-curved Android. This will be arriving at several Canadian carriers on August 21st in Black Sapphire. The 32GB version is expected to cost around $950 no-term and $460, while the 64GB model $1,050 no-term and $560 on a 2-year."

The Note 5 definitely has my interest. I've never tried a Note before, I kind of want to.

Battery life is better than the Note 4 by about 30 minutes and still 50% better than an iPhone 6 Plus. Full charge in 81 minutes, which is about 15 minutes faster than a Note 4 and over twice as fast as an iPhone 6 Plus.

Dual sim version coming soon too, but no micro SD on that one either (doesn't play nice with the super fast UFS 2.0 built in storage).

Overall dimensions smaller than the Note 4.

If only the 2015 Nexus devices would be here sooner than October my decision would be much easier haha. No interest in the S6 Edge + personally.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I will drive someone bonkers if I have S pen with that clicker. Will be clicking it in my hand all day along with my Asian pen spinning.

More info slowly starting to trickle in - DisplayMate has rated the Note 5 display the best they have ever tested, even ahead of the Note 4 and SGS6 (previous leaders), all while being brighter and using significantly less power:

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note5_ShootOut_1.htm

Galaxy Note 5 Conclusions: A Very Impressive Smartphone Display…
    The primary goal of this Display Technology Shoot-Out article series has always been to publicize and promote display excellence so that consumers, journalists and even manufacturers are aware of and appreciate the very best in displays and display technology. We point out which manufactures and display technologies are leading and advancing the state-of-the-art for displays by performing comprehensive and objective scientific Lab tests and measurements together with in-depth analysis. We point out who is leading, who is behind, who is improving, and sometimes (unfortunately) who is back pedaling… all based solely on the extensive objective careful Lab measurements that we also publish, so that everyone can judge the data for themselves as well…

The Best Smartphone Display
    The Galaxy Note is the flagship product line where Samsung generally introduces its major OLED display technology improvements and enhancements. While the Galaxy Note 5 screen size and resolution remain the same as the Galaxy Note 4, its display has significantly improved performance. Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements listed below, the Galaxy Note 5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It takes over from the Galaxy Note 4, which was the previous record holder for mobile display performance.

The Galaxy Note 5 matches or breaks new records in Smartphone display performance for:
    Highest Absolute Color Accuracy (1.4 JNCD), Highest Peak Brightness (861 nits), Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light (183), Highest Screen Resolution (2560x1440), Highest (infinite) Contrast Ratio, and Smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle (24 percent). In addition, almost every display lab test and measurement shows some improvements compared to the Galaxy Note 4, the previous record holder, including slightly lower Screen Reflectance (4.7 percent), an 18 to 23 percent improvement display Brightness, and a 21 percent improvement in display power efficiency, so the Note 5 display actually uses less power than the Note 4 in spite of its much higher brightness. See the main Display Shoot-Out Comparison Table for all of the measurements and details. The Galaxy Note 5 has raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch.

Multiple Screen Modes and Color Management
    One very important capability of the Galaxy Smartphones that is often overlooked by many consumers and reviewers, is its set of user selectable Screen Modes. Most Smartphones only provide a single fixed factory display color calibration, with no way for the user to alter it based on personal preferences, running applications, or ambient light levels. Samsung has implemented Color Management for their OLED Smartphones and Tablets allowing them to provide multiple Screen Modes with different Color Gamuts and color calibrations – other Smartphones only provide a single fixed screen Color Gamut and color calibration. This Figure shows the different Color Gamuts. Color Management with multiple and varying Color Gamuts are a very useful and important state-of-the-art capability that all displays will need to provide in the future. All of the recent Galaxy models including the Note 5 and S6 edge+ have this important capability – see the Next Generation of Mobile Displays section below.

The Most Accurate Colors
    The Galaxy Note 5 Basic screen mode has the most accurate display colors for reproducing all standard consumer content (sRGB / Rec.709) of any Smartphone or Tablet display that we have ever tested, with a measured Absolute Color Accuracy of 1.4 JNCD, which is visually indistinguishable from perfect, and is very likely considerably better than your living room TV. The previous record holder was the Galaxy Note 4. See our detailed Absolute Color Accuracy Plots and also this regarding Bogus Color Accuracy Measurements. Good Color Accuracy is especially important when viewing photos from family and friends (because you often know exactly what they actually should look like), for some TV shows, movies, and sporting events with image content and colors that you are familiar with, and also for viewing online merchandise, so you have a very good idea of exactly what product colors you are buying and are less likely to return them. Select the Basic Screen Mode using Display Settings – it is not the default screen mode for the Galaxy Note 5.

Adobe RGB AMOLED Photo Mode
    Most high-end digital cameras have an option to use the Adobe RGB Color Gamut, which is 17 percent larger than the standard sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut used in consumer cameras. The AMOLED Photo screen mode on the Galaxy Note 5 provides a very accurate 1.6 JNCD calibration to the Adobe RGB standard, which is rarely available in consumer displays. It is very useful for viewing high-end digital photos and other advanced imaging applications. This is a significant plus for serious photography enthusiasts. Select the AMOLED Photo screen mode using Display Settings – it is not the default screen mode for the Galaxy Note 5.

Adaptive Display Mode with a Wide Color Gamut
    The Galaxy Note 5 OLED display’s native Wide Color Gamut Adaptive Display screen mode has significantly more vibrant and saturated colors with its 134 percent of the Standard (sRGB / Rec.709) Color Gamut, among the highest that we have ever measured for Smartphones and Tablets. Some people like the extra saturated and vibrant colors, plus it is useful for special applications and is recommended for viewing in medium to high levels of ambient light because it offsets some of the reflected light glare that washes out the on-screen image colors. Select the Adaptive Display screen mode using Display Settings – note that Adaptive Display is the factory default screen mode for the Galaxy Note 5.

The Highest Screen Brightness and Contrast in High Ambient Light
    Mobile displays are often used under relatively bright ambient lighting, which washes out the image colors and contrast, reducing picture quality and making it harder to view or read the screen. To be usable in high ambient light a display needs a dual combination of high screen Brightness and low screen Reflectance – the Galaxy Note 5 has both. Its screen Reflectance is 4.7 percent, close to the lowest that we have ever measured for a Smartphone. When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy Note 5 reaches an impressive maximum screen Brightness of up to 861 nits in high Ambient Light, where high screen Brightness is really needed – it is the Brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. As a result of its high Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy Note 5 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 118 to 183, also the highest that we have ever measured for any mobile display, which quantitatively measures screen visibility and image contrast under bright Ambient Light

Higher Display Power Efficiency
    With each successive generation Samsung has been systematically improving the power efficiency of their OLED displays. We measured an impressive 21 percent improvement in display power efficiency between the Galaxy Note 4 and Note 5. It is the higher display power efficiency that allows the display brightness to increase without also increasing the display power – the Note 5 display actually uses less power than the Note 4 in spite of its much higher brightness.

While LCDs remain more power efficient for images with mostly full screen white content (like all text screens, for example), OLEDs are now more power efficient for mixed text and image content because they are emissive displays so their power varies with the overall Average Picture Level (average Brightness) of the image content.

The Galaxy Note 5 is 37 percent more power efficient than the iPhone 6 Plus for mixed content, which includes text together with image content like photos, videos, and movies that generally have a 50 percent (or less) Average Picture Level, APL. The OLED / LCD Power Efficiency Crossover is currently at 67 percent APL Average Picture Level: the OLED display on the Galaxy Note 5 is more power efficient for APLs less than 67 percent, and the LCD display on the iPhone 6 Plus is more power efficient for APLs greater than 67 percent. If this keeps up then OLEDs may pull ahead of LCDs in total power efficiency in the near future… See the Display Power section for measurements and details.
    Also quite noticeably smaller than the Note 4, which is impressive given the same screen size:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

didn't the last galaxy like, JUST come out?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by killramos
    didn't the last galaxy like, JUST come out?
    The Galaxy "S" and Galaxy "Note" series are different products. The SGS6 is 6 months old already so no, the last Galaxy did not "JUST" come out. Like every other smartphone, the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note phones are on a one year refresh cycle. "S" models are traditionally announced in March, "Note" models in the Fall.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-18-2015 at 03:51 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Wikipedia said it came out in April, that's 4 months ago. Pretty damn fast for a revision.

And based on that news release are you sure they are different products
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Wikipedia said it came out in April, that's 4 months ago. Pretty damn fast for a revision.

Someone has obviously never owned a Note.
    http://thegalaxynote4.com/galaxy-note-4-release-date/
    Note 4: released on October 17th
    Last edited by jwslam; 08-18-2015 at 03:36 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

It is not a revision, they are just putting it under the Galaxy S edge branding instead of Note Edge which kind of makes sense.

As I very clearly explained, you are mixing up different phones.

You are probably thinking of the S6/S6 Edge announced on March 1st, nearly 6 months ago.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-18-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Fairly thorough review of the Note 5 here:

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sa...-Review_id4059

My Ride
    Grimace

Seems like a pretty good phone again. Everyone was bitching about the smaller battery than the 4 but from the test it still outperforms the previous version
    Still a little big for me and I am still super happy with my S6 though.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

No micro sd slot - what the hell, thats the best thing about the phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Originally posted by nzwasp
    According to Samsung, most of their customers didn't use it, and it would slow the phone down considerably because the speed differential between a micro SD card and their UFS 2.0 storage is enormous. It will still likely be a deal breaker for a small minority of users.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by nzwasp
    It think they let the low end market have that one. And I think that's a correct business decision. People who needs SD card slot are probably more cost conscientious.

Samsung is desperate as S6/S6 Edge both under delivered.

Note 5 is not a bigger S6 because Note is a different line and has S-Pen.

S6 Edge+ is just a bigger S6 Edge which I don't know why they didn't release this in April to go toe to toe with iPhone 6+.

I think in the light of cheaper and cheaper Android phones, it's harder and harder to justify premium ones which is the cause of demise of most major brand phones like Sony/LG/Samsung.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-21-2015 at 01:59 PM.

My Ride
    2003 Rsx Type S WHITE, Ninja zx250r

I just picked up the note 5 they had both the s6 edge + and note 5 but I couldn't justify the extra $$ for the edge....

note 5 is great so far!
    please don't flame me, or i'll have to learn how to use the ban button

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

PS.. Watch this about the Note 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQB0TFcdFIs

Played with a Note 5 today for quite a while, and I really started to like the S-pen. Being able to write on anything, sign PDFs, etc. was actually quite awesome. Didn't seem to be any lag with the pen either. The size appears to be manageable as well, it's not too much bigger than a GS6 or N5, and smaller than the Note 4. Still fits in all my pockets (Nexus 6 and iPhone 6 Plus fail that test). Not much else to report, phone is instant-fast at everything, screen is amazing, no surprises really.

Looks to be $350 on a 2-year contract (Telus). With the Nexus 5 2015 possibly getting the Snapdragon 808, the Note 5 is back to the top of my list.

EDIT: Watched the video haha. I guess he didn't bother to read the manual which clearly warns him not to do what he did. If you put the S-Pen in the wrong way (How you even do that I have no idea, it looks completely different at either end), it should be no surprise it might get stuck. If he can't tell one end from the other, I wonder what happens when he uses knives

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

EDIT: Watched the video haha. I guess he didn't bother to read the manual which clearly warns him not to do what he did. If you put the S-Pen in the wrong way (How you even do that I have no idea, it looks completely different at either end), it should be no surprise it might get stuck. If he can't tell one end from the other, I wonder what happens when he uses knives
    It is a massive issue at the moment and you can't even open the phone with the pen inserted to remove it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast