Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 94 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Speed traps?

I saw them out a few times during the summer ticketing people going over 20km/h around Eau Claire and the Peace Bridge. When I see them, I try warning people heading towards it but there are a few dicks who ignore me and keep ripping by. Oh well, I tried
    I got warned once this summer by another cyclist and it saved my bacon - keep on warning others! 20 feels slow when you've been working hard on a ride, I could definitely get caught going over 20 while feeling like I've slowed down a lot.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by calgarygts

I got warned once this summer by another cyclist and it saved my bacon - keep on warning others! 20 feels slow when you've been working hard on a ride, I could definitely get caught going over 20 while feeling like I've slowed down a lot.
    Totally. 20 feels like you're completely lollygagging, even if you're just dropping from 25 km/hr (let alone 30+).

Surprised Bylaw was out today.. I don't think I saw any other commuters on my way today from the NW.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

They are speed trapping cyclists by Parkdale where the walking path is separated? That's retarded. Some rollerblader may just pass you at 20k/h.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Anyone been on the bike lately? Ive been a slug..hoping to get out there next week if it warms up a bit. Not sure if i'm cut out for winter biking!

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

I was out Wednesday. Ski gloves help. Need to pick up some rain proof pants for mornings like today.
    Originally posted by t_soarer
    ....can anyone say "retarted"?
    Originally posted by leftwing
    no more retarted 18 year old girls who fail out.
    Originally posted by benyl
    The english language is retarted...
    Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Stanced cars look retarted anyways.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Goal is to bike tues/thurs next week, climb monday/wed/fri at lunch... Main reason i havent wanted to bike is getting back into climbing and no way i can bike to the climbing gym and back for a quick lunch workout

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Anyone been on the bike lately? Ive been a slug..hoping to get out there next week if it warms up a bit. Not sure if i'm cut out for winter biking!
    I'm still riding to work daily. The only day I've skipped was the morning it was snowing last week.

Goal is to bike tues/thurs next week, climb monday/wed/fri at lunch... Main reason i havent wanted to bike is getting back into climbing and no way i can bike to the climbing gym and back for a quick lunch workout
    Still riding my cx bike with slicks and will be swapping out for more aggressive threads next week. Finally ditch the shorts this week and onto cycling pants with the temps getting closer to -10 in the morning.

Cycling to work in the winter totally sucks out the life out of you. If you've ever wondered why your going so slow when the temperature drops, this article does a pretty good job explaining it -> Why is cycling in the winter so hard

Unfortunately when we get a Chinook and the warm weather, the performance gains we get is off set by the wind that comes with it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Joel_D
    Cycling to work in the winter totally sucks out the life out of you. If you've ever wondered why your going so slow when the temperature drops, this article does a pretty good job explaining it -> Why is cycling in the winter so hard
    Huh. I had no idea but it makes sense now. I just thought the gearing ratios were so different between my CX and hybrid that I had to work that much harder to achieve the same speeds hahaha! I've only ridden my hybrid to work after there's been rain/snow and I got killed on the hills to the point I had to get off and walk my bike up.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I'll blame the cooler morning for me being slower today...felt good to move the legs though.

I'm wearing this jacket, seems perfect for the 0 degree morning right now. A balaclava would have helped though
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/m...tor-hoody.html

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Still commuting, but on the CX bike now. Will throw the studded tires on as soon as the snow sticks. And ride the fat bike on heavy snow days.

Right now have a Pactimo winter jersey with regular jersey underneath.
    When it gets colder I switch to the Castelli Jacket below.

I wear this jacket down to ~-20C, and add layers underneath (Under armor cold gear) when needed. At 0C I find this to warm though.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Colder than that, I add a light down jacket over top. (Loki Jacket)
    Snowboarding gloves, ski helmet / balaclava with goggles. When really cold. I also switch to flat pedals when really cold and wear insulated winter hiking boots (KEEN).
    Last edited by CLiVE; 10-19-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Originally posted by CLiVE
    [B]Still commuting, but on the CX bike now. Will throw the studded tires on as soon as the snow sticks. And ride the fat bike on heavy snow days.
    I'm curious, how far is your commute? and how much longer does it take to commute with your CX bike w/ studs vs Fat biking?

I'm interested in getting a fat bike for trail riding in the winter, but can't see how practical it is for commuting 20+km, unless you equip it with Electric assist.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by Joel_D

I'm curious, how far is your commute? and how much longer does it take to commute with your CX bike w/ studs vs Fat biking?

I'm interested in getting a fat bike for trail riding in the winter, but can't see how practical it is for commuting 20+km, unless you equip it with Electric assist.
    My commute is 20km from Sherwood. On bad days in the winter I sometimes shorten it and drive to Shouldice or Edworthy.

River pathways (cleared) - CX bike with studs is WAY faster, except for the few days we have heavy snow. Then the Fat bike floats on top and is easy.

Other pathways (uncleared) - pathways in the NW that are not cleared are often impossible mid-winter on the CX bike. (such as climbing Beacon Hill) Fat bike is the only way to go, but it is slow going.

The fat bike is mostly for fun and trails in the winter, and for heavy snow days / buildup on uncleared pathways.

...Also have a single speed w/studs, and a mountain bike I throw in the mix depending on conditions in the winter.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 10-19-2016 at 10:03 AM.

My Ride
    Giant Reign

So I've been getting back into commuting after getting back from vacation and all's been well until this week. I've had a bit of a tough week with other life stuff making me a bit tired, and I decided to draft a couple of commuters on a couple of different days. I've had people draft me and could care less as it doesn't affect my ride and gives someone some rest, but these two were super unhappy. I even offered to let them draft me but both times a pretty unhappy response. Is drafting a big no-no? I'm fairly new to this so I'm wondering if I should avoid that at all costs, or if I just ran into a couple grumps.

Also, I got some winter tights and cycling boots - world of difference! But the winter tires (I have continental studless 700X37) feel so slow, the ride is definitely longer now.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride
    rally pig

Still commuting as well, although 3x a week (MWF) and only 6K ride from downtown to the zoo.

Bought LED light for the front as head lamps aren't bright enough anymore.
    Wearing my hiking shoes and down jacket with sweater underneath and a toque is keeping me warm so far.

Still undecided if I'll keep riding in November or December, I'll see as the weeks goes by.

BTW, any recommendation with brakes? I noticed mine are very weak now probably due to the colder temperature in the morning.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

How so unhappy? Like bitched at you?

I've drafted a few dudes who seem to know what they're doing, and have never gotten any response. They quickly draft me when i pass them, so it's shared work..

I would say Yes, it's a big No-No, specifically on the pathway, it's equivalent to tailgating someone in your car. Because of the different skill levels that you get, another person might not feel comfortable with a stranger suddenly glued to their ass. There's a lot of variables on the pathway versus an open county road, is the person behind you familiar with the pathway conditions, bumps/ice patches coming up or group of joggers, dog walkers, kids on the path etc.

However, I think it's possible to draft someone and still get the same effect, as long as your not wheel sucking and your not inches from their tire. Two or three bike lengths is a pretty good distance that your not invading in the other person's personal space, and far enough that you can still what's ahead.

But if you must draft, at least be polite and ask them if it's okay to draft for a bit.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I think it's fair game to draft if you pass me but you can't drop me . I still wouldn't get too close so I have room to get out of the way and to scan ahead. You can draft behind me all you want, I really don't care as long as you don't hit me.
    I don't know how you guys have the motivation to commute still. My body just doesn't respond the same way when cold, it's like pulling bricks. Perhaps the boredom of training indoor will bring back the desire to go outside in time.

My Ride
    Giant Reign

How so unhappy? Like bitched at you?

I've drafted a few dudes who seem to know what they're doing, and have never gotten any response. They quickly draft me when i pass them, so it's shared work..
    When I went to pass the person both times I asked if they wanted to draft me and the response was less than stellar (ie. lots of swearing). When I draft I try not to get too close - I'd say about two metres back and no closer, just so I can see a bit and in case they hit the brakes. I don't see it as a huge deal if someone drafts me, and was surprised people were so grumpy about it. I guess I'll ask before attempting from now on.

lilmira - I'm motivated because of three things. One, I went on a honeymoon and got fat. Two, I told my wife I would bike all year and that was how I got her blessing on my newest bike. Three, I'm pretty cheap and this is way less money than driving.

Page 11 of 94 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast