Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 88 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 88 of 94 FirstFirst ... 78 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1862

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

I've read good things about the Princeton Carbonworks - looks almost identical to the Zipp 454 NSW.
    Not sure about the other ones on your list, but I'll say Enve 5.6s (which the 4.5 has replaced) are great compared to other carbon wheels I either still have or have owned in the past. Great in the wind, roll nicely, good balance between aero and weight.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Your money – but commuting kills bikes. I would keep the JTS as a commuter maybe a small refresh on the components but ride the hell out of it. Personally my formula for a commuter is Aluminum gravel or CX bike on wide tires (40C slicks currently) with mech disc brakes. Carbon gets trashed on bike racks, and the inevitable drop/fall/crash here and there commuting. lol Drivetrain; go a generation old to make replacement parts affordable as they get chewed up commuting.

Weekend ride / race bike – go all out. I found the ZIPP 303/404s quite harsh, and would be a set of Reynolds over them, or go with the 353s, or look to Enve. Nothing wrong with Princeton either, good brand.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 06-22-2022 at 01:18 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Has anyone studded a bike tire before? I have a extra set of regular tires with decent sized knobby tread and some screw in studs. Just wondering how far they should go in? They seem to stick out a lot more than I expect. It’s for a fat bike tire if that matters

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone studded a bike tire before? I have a extra set of regular tires with decent sized knobby tread and some screw in studs. Just wondering how far they should go in? They seem to stick out a lot more than I expect. It’s for a fat bike tire if that matters
    Yes - Self-studded a set of fat bike tires before
    Do the tires have pre-drilled pockets for studs? Otherwise you'll need to drill a pocket into the knob.

They did seem to stick out further than the factory studs. Rode fine though.

Found this too. My results looked similar....https://www.instructables.com/How-to...thout-Pockets/

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post

Found this too. My results looked similar....https://www.instructables.com/How-to...thout-Pockets/
    190 studs per tire, at a few studs per minute, is an awful lot of minutes.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    190 studs per tire, at a few studs per minute, is an awful lot of minutes.
    Like I said - did it once, never again. Bought every studded set since. haha

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I think the studs + tires is more expensive than just buying the studded version… at least for the Dillinger 5s I just picked up ($150 vs $205 for just the tires)

I’m not going to find out how long it takes to stud a tire at those prices

My Ride
    rally pig

Bought some heated gloves on Amazon and man, game changer for winter commuting.
    Kept my hands nice and warm on my ride to work this morning, don't think I even need the bar mitts anymore.
    Tested some heated socks as well this morning, started good but bad idea using old AA batteries as halfway through the ride the batteries died and my toes were almost frozen when I arrived at work.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Bought some heated gloves on Amazon and man, game changer for winter commuting.
    Kept my hands nice and warm on my ride to work this morning, don't think I even need the bar mitts anymore.
    Tested some heated socks as well this morning, started good but bad idea using old AA batteries as halfway through the ride the batteries died and my toes were almost frozen when I arrived at work.
    Heated gloves are great - but have had some burns from mine before, but had them on for ~2.5 hrs.
    Run day for me. Prefer to run vs bike when it is this cold; less wind chill.

My Ride
    rally pig

were you using them at the highest temp? I set them to lowest (around 54c) so it wasn't overly hot.

Usually below -20 I would just take the bus and walk in downtown but wanted to test the gloves and socks out. I think once properly heated and as long as the trails have been cleaned then I can bike no problem.
    now maybe n+1 for a fat bike if I want to do snow riding too.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    were you using them at the highest temp? I set them to lowest (around 54c) so it wasn't overly hot.

Usually below -20 I would just take the bus and walk in downtown but wanted to test the gloves and socks out. I think once properly heated and as long as the trails have been cleaned then I can bike no problem.
    now maybe n+1 for a fat bike if I want to do snow riding too.
    They were not on the highest time, but still got hot at one of the connection points. I think my coldest ride was -28C, run -34C.
    Fat bike feels a lot more secure for sure, but definitely slower. If you're just riding river pathways, generally not needed....but to cut through Nose Hill I need the fat bike.
    Mine is a ~2014 Norco Bigfoot 6.3, mechanical disc - base model with studded tires. All you need...paid $1100 new.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

We had this chat the other day, gravel w/studs vs fat bike w/studs, figured we need to do some actual testing on times as the added sure footedness of the fat bike might actually be faster in some spots when it’s fresh snowfall vs the gravel to offset its lower top speed

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I have both - if you're commuting on mostly cleared pathways the gravel w/studs will almost always win. If there is fresh snowfall, severe ice, or unplowed trails; fat bike all the way.

For mindless half-asleep winter commuting on any terrain, fat bike still wins -- and builds a ton of strength for the spring. haha.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    Like I said - did it once, never again. Bought every studded set since. haha
    Would if I could but my bike uses an awkward size and couldn’t find any studded options.

Also for heated gloves Costco has some pretty nice ones for about 100$. They have rechargeable battery packs and been great the past couple weeks so far. Fingers are toasty even in this cold. Only issue is they don’t have a timer shutoff so once I threw them in my gym back and the whole bag was very toasty for about an hour.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

The studs have finally worn through the insides of my winter tires after 6 years haha

Name:  PXL_20230217_042403806.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  112.7 KB

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Updated stable. Big thanks to John at TCR Sport Lab for the comprehensive bike fit and customer service.

Factor Ostro VAM
    Ultegra 8170 2x12
    Enve 4.5 tubeless
    Name:  IMG_2241.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  460.9 KB

BMC URS 01
    SRAM Force eTap 1x12
    Zipp Firecrest 303 tubeless
    Name:  IMG_2240.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  492.1 KB

Beyond group ride when the snow melts? I might sign up for a Fondo or two this season depending on time and fitness. Also I'm selling my Cervelo S2 with full Ultegra 6800 groupset, Vector 2S PM and Mavic Carbon 40 mm wheelset. Send a PM if interested and we can iron out a test ride and price.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    We're off next Friday but I will probably ride to the delta garden for the free breakfast and look for the swags.
    I thought I could volunteer but they are all full now, so I will try again next year.

My Ride
    rally pig

@D'z Nutz and anyone else stopped by Bike to Work Day?
    good pancakes and sausages for breakfast and grabbed a couple of freebies

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Name:  PXL_20230505_140328709.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  156.7 KB

Yeah, but I didn't see the bell or cell phone pouch! Fuck! I just got a drawstring bag, a granola bar, trail mix, and an orange!

Page 88 of 94 FirstFirst ... 78 87 88 89 ... LastLast