Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 87 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 87 of 94 FirstFirst ... 77 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1862

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

My Ride
    Exploded.

Thanks, all.

I'll check out The Bike Shop, Bike and Brew, and Bow Cycle at East Village to see what's in stock for my size before going to Decathlon if they have stock of that Triban gravel bike.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, all.

I'll check out The Bike Shop, Bike and Brew, and Bow Cycle at East Village to see what's in stock for my size before going to Decathlon if they have stock of that Triban gravel bike.
    go ride it at the store. They tell you to do that on the website. haha

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

For that money I’d insist on GRX for a gravel drivetrain… add sporting life to the list as they carry some decent bikes in that range (cannondale/trek)

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    For that money I’d insist on GRX for a gravel drivetrain… add sporting life to the list as they carry some decent bikes in that range (cannondale/trek)
    you sure you can find a 1x GRX equivalent in that price point?

Also, is beyond just full of espresso drinking, spandex wearing, lane hogging roadies?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post

Also, is beyond just full of espresso drinking, spandex wearing, lane hogging roadies?
    I think most of us are espresso drinking, spandex wearing, lane hogging gravelites now..

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    Hey all, I'm thinking about replacing my two current rigs, Cervelo S2 for weekend warrior road riding and Kona JTS commuter. They each have been ridden about 7000kms since summer 2016. I'm scheduled for a bike fit at TCR weekend after next to drill down the geometry. My plan is to finalize my orders by mid-late summer so that they're ready to go by early next season. I've landed on the following two but am open to suggestions:

Road:
    Factor Ostro VAM with 2x12 Ultegra 8170 Di2 (172.5mm, 48/35, 10-33). I can also option the oversized CeramicSpeed Pulley Wheel system which seems kinda neat.
    The factory included wheelset is Black Inc 40mm depth. I've done some research and they don't seem that exciting so I was thinking about opting out of those. I had my eyes on the Zipp NSW 353 but they are just so... expensive, almost unjustifiably so. Thoughts on the newly updated Enve SES 4.5? The aim is to run 28-30mm width tubeless tires, with view towards all day comfort. The Hunt Aerodynamicist wheelset lineup is also a consideration.
    I like the Soho Mix color.
    https://factorbikes.com/products/ost...ero-road-bike/
    Other considerations: Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod or S-works Tarmac

Commuter:
    Cervelo Caledonia-5 2x12 SRAM Force AXS. Thoughts instead of a 1x12 set up?
    Would keep this pretty stock with the included Reserve 40-44 wheels and tubeless 32mm tires
    https://www.cervelo.com/en-CA/bikes/caledonia-5
    Other consideration is the Trek Domane with IsoSpeed, though this hasn't been updated in a while, and a new model is apparently being released in 2023

Any feedback or things that I'm missing? Thanks.
    Yes to Factor Ostro VAM with Enve 4.5. Nothing else should be considered.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I might be $500 off now that I think of it (and I think those lower GRX groups are 2x), but it’s the way to go over a road group just for ease of upgrading

My Ride
    01 i30

Personally I'd only go GRX if you plan to do some single track, fire roads, and really push the bike off road. Really the only difference with GRX is shifter ergonomics, clearance for larger tires (probably a factor if you want to go 44 or bigger?) and the rear derailleur has a clutch & is positioned like mountain bikes. I think for riding range roads road group sets are good but I'm no gravel connoisseur.

The only downside to the 105 Triban is mechanical disc brakes. Not a huge deal but maybe a factor.

The Giant Contend AR 2 is good value at $1900. They come with Tiagra and hydraulic brakes. Giant specs the cable tiagra shifters so there is a cable actuator on the handle bars. You also can only fit 38 wide tires max with Tiagra due to the front derailleur.

I might be $500 off now that I think of it (and I think those lower GRX groups are 2x), but it’s the way to go over a road group just for ease of upgrading
    though I know SRAM also has their own group set collection for Gravel... they basically look identical to their Eagle line (GX+)... is the gravel world different enough with chainline, hub body and dropouts that a normal mountain bike groups wouldn't work?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

though I know SRAM also has their own group set collection for Gravel... they basically look identical to their Eagle line (GX+)... is the gravel world different enough with chainline, hub body and dropouts that a normal mountain bike groups wouldn't work?
    Biggest difference is of course shifter style, I believe SRAM mix and matches with mtb groups, but grx has a different pull ratio. But actual functionality, yeah mtb could work if you’re running flat bars, or those surly drop things

Biggest difference is of course shifter style, I believe SRAM mix and matches with mtb groups, but grx has a different pull ratio. But actual functionality, yeah mtb could work if you’re running flat bars, or those surly drop things
    if there is a different pull, that likely means they don't want people mixing matching - bastard

You could run electronic groupsets and those have no compatability issues. On my gravel bike I have ultegra shifters and xt di2 derailleur and it worked just fine, AXS also has no issues.

Get an entry level Topstone/Diverge/Revolt. Components you can upgrade down the road, the frame you can't.

My Ride
    Exploded.

This escalated quickly and I just got priced out of the conversation lmao

EDIT: Called Decathlon and they don't have my size but a shipment is estimated to come in two weeks and I can check then
    Last edited by flipstah; 06-15-2022 at 10:12 AM.

This escalated quickly and I just got priced out of the conversation lmao

EDIT: Called Decathlon and they don't have my size but a shipment is estimated to come in two weeks and I can check then
    its S-Works or nothing

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

its S-Works or nothing
    E-bike variant so he can keep up

My Ride
    Exploded.

I like to take my time and smell the roses hmmmkay

My Ride
    '21 Taco

I like to take my time and smell the roses hmmmkay
    Nothing wrong with that. There will be times I just want to ride and enjoy the scenery; and there are times I just want to keep up with the group even if I'm about to pass out haha. For the most part, I try to just beat my time or my PRs and train for bigger rides.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Hey all, thanks for your feedback.

I went for my bike fit at TCR sport lab with John today. I found it very valuable and informative.

I'm pretty much confirmed on the Factor Ostro for weekend warrior/fondo road rides. Saddle TBD. Still deciding about wheels, I've asked him to get pricing and other info on Enve 4.5, Zipp Firecrest 303/404. He was also hyping up these Princeton wheelsets which have that sawtooth pattern. I've never heard of this brand, it is for sure pricey - do any of you have experience? https://www.princetoncarbon.com/

What I need your help most with is the choice of commuter bike. I had planned for a long time to get the Cervelo Caledonia-5 because I thought that would best fit my needs. On further reflection and discussion with others, it just seems more "similar" to the Factor or more closer to the road end of the spectrum vs being more versatile.

John then showed me his BMC URS One 01 which is BMC's flagship carbon gravel bike and that he primarily uses for commuting. He's made it less "gravel oriented" than stock by running narrower 32mm slick tires on carbon wheels (as opposed to 40mm+ width and knobby) with Shimano GRX 1x11sp. One of the benefits is that it has a longer wheelbase that affords more stability and it has a 10mm elastomer shock that is built into the seat stays to provide additional comfort when booting around the city or exploring mixed terrain (the latter of which I don't do much of currently). https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us_e...om_store=eu_en

So that has got me re-thinking my choice in commuter bikes. To clarify, I'm historically a fair weather road rider, only recently getting better at toughing out the single digit temps so that my riding season is extended somewhat, but I do tend to avoid the wet and snowy/icy conditions, and I really haven't ventured off-track recently. I thought that this BMC would give me a bit more leeway and confidence should I start pushing past my current boundaries. The ethos would still be more of a fast road bike as I would run an electronic groupset like SRAM Force 40 or 42 with a narrower cassette, 32mm tires and performance wheels, like the Hunt Aerodynamicist. One downside that I can see upfront is that the bike is heavier, all things equal, vs the Caledonia-5.

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    Hey all, I'm thinking about replacing my two current rigs, Cervelo S2 for weekend warrior road riding and Kona JTS commuter. They each have been ridden about 7000kms since summer 2016. I'm scheduled for a bike fit at TCR weekend after next to drill down the geometry. My plan is to finalize my orders by mid-late summer so that they're ready to go by early next season. I've landed on the following two but am open to suggestions:

Road:
    Factor Ostro VAM with 2x12 Ultegra 8170 Di2 (172.5mm, 48/35, 10-33). I can also option the oversized CeramicSpeed Pulley Wheel system which seems kinda neat.
    The factory included wheelset is Black Inc 40mm depth. I've done some research and they don't seem that exciting so I was thinking about opting out of those. I had my eyes on the Zipp NSW 353 but they are just so... expensive, almost unjustifiably so. Thoughts on the newly updated Enve SES 4.5? The aim is to run 28-30mm width tubeless tires, with view towards all day comfort. The Hunt Aerodynamicist wheelset lineup is also a consideration.
    I like the Soho Mix color.
    https://factorbikes.com/products/ost...ero-road-bike/
    Other considerations: Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod or S-works Tarmac

Commuter:
    Cervelo Caledonia-5 2x12 SRAM Force AXS. Thoughts instead of a 1x12 set up?
    Would keep this pretty stock with the included Reserve 40-44 wheels and tubeless 32mm tires
    https://www.cervelo.com/en-CA/bikes/caledonia-5
    Other consideration is the Trek Domane with IsoSpeed, though this hasn't been updated in a while, and a new model is apparently being released in 2023

Any feedback or things that I'm missing? Thanks.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ive definitely been using my gravel bike for commutting as it is more comfortable over bumps and shitty gravelly shoulders then my Kona. I have the Topstone Carbon with the rear suspension, and not entirely sure i can tell that the suspension is doing anything, but does feel more comfy.. I dont think weight has a big concern with commutting as for the most part you wont ever do that much climbing.

Page 87 of 94 FirstFirst ... 77 86 87 88 ... LastLast