Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 67 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 67 of 94 FirstFirst ... 57 66 67 68 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1862

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

So far the worst part of winter riding has been the bridges/overpasses... No one seems to clear them off at all just like last winter
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    07 997TT

Rode the south side of river from edworthy. Glad the pathway after the train tracks was cleared. So just had to get past the few kms along the side of the hill which was doable on my 700x35 studs. Had to go slow and foot went down about half a dozen times when tire hit a rut and went sideways but was rideable. Wish I had slightly fatter tires.

My Ride
    rally pig

finally caving in and going to buy winter tires for my bike as I want to ride as much as I can this season.

28x1.5" is same as 700x38c right?

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    finally caving in and going to buy winter tires for my bike as I want to ride as much as I can this season.

28x1.5" is same as 700x38c right?
    If it is the Schwabe Winter Spike - I don't think so. I recall looking into this before and the interwebs said it wouldn't fit my application. It is wildly confusing but the
    Last edited by sneek; 10-04-2018 at 10:34 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post
    If it is the Schwabe Winter Spike - I don't think so. I recall looking into this before and the interwebs said it wouldn't fit my application. It is wildly confusing but the
    bummer, i guess 635 tires are too large to fit on regular 622?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted131 View Post
    So far the worst part of winter riding has been the bridges
    City has done a shit job of clearing the sidewalk/pathway on the Centre St bridge. 1/2 of it just wasn't cleared at all so it's frozen hard packed rutted ice and the other 1/2 had a 1 ft wide path cleared down the middle leaving snow on the sides to melt down into it and form skating rink quality ice.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

bummer, i guess 635 tires are too large to fit on regular 622?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c.../rp-prod118113

If you check out the Q&A section, quite a few people have asked and some have even purchased to find they don't fit

These were my original top choice as well.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    City has done a shit job of clearing the sidewalk/pathway on the Centre St bridge. 1/2 of it just wasn't cleared at all so it's frozen hard packed rutted ice and the other 1/2 had a 1 ft wide path cleared down the middle leaving snow on the sides to melt down into it and form skating rink quality ice.
    I should have specified and said the overpasses are the worst.

Anyone do the reservoir loop in winter? It's cool how they clear the entire thing, except that no one is responsible for the 2-3km stretch on the far west end... Became impassible even on a fatbike at a couple points last year.
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Quote Originally Posted by 997TT View Post
    Rode the south side of river from edworthy. Glad the pathway after the train tracks was cleared. So just had to get past the few kms along the side of the hill which was doable on my 700x35 studs. Had to go slow and foot went down about half a dozen times when tire hit a rut and went sideways but was rideable. Wish I had slightly fatter tires.
    It was not passable on Tuesday when the snow hit - I ended up walking the whole thing on the same tires. Got passed by a fatbike, and decided right then and there that I'm buying one. I've had enough of sliding all over the place during winter riding on those skinny tires. The extra five minutes of biking will be well worth the stress free feeling of just ploughing over everything.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by calgarygts View Post
    It was not passable on Tuesday when the snow hit - I ended up walking the whole thing on the same tires. Got passed by a fatbike, and decided right then and there that I'm buying one. I've had enough of sliding all over the place during winter riding on those skinny tires. The extra five minutes of biking will be well worth the stress free feeling of just ploughing over everything.
    Just toss a bbshd on it, and it'll be 5 mins quicker than the skinny bike haha. I passed lots of skinny tires with my fatty on studded dillingers pretty much every time I rode it.
    Tires are also very important as you can get a 4.8" tire that is garbage, vs the dillinger which is the best rated floating tire. Where normal tires sink in, these ones float right over.
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    07 997TT

I’m starting to feel the same way. Morning rides last 2 days haven’t been bad as the ground is frozen. But riding home in the slush yesterday I got passed by fat bikes that seemed to float over it while my studs just dug into the ground.

I was looking at fat bikes and seems $1500 is entry level. I hate entry leve shit but don’t want to break the bank either. Took a quick look on pink bike too. If anybody sees a “good deal” let me know. I’m ok spending $. Just want to perceive I’m getting some value. Haha

My Ride
    rally pig

btw what happened to the beet juice on the bike lanes now that we are getting actual snow?

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I’m starting to feel the same way. Morning rides last 2 days haven’t been bad as the ground is frozen. But riding home in the slush yesterday I got passed by fat bikes that seemed to float over it while my studs just dug into the ground.

I was looking at fat bikes and seems $1500 is entry level. I hate entry leve shit but don’t want to break the bank either. Took a quick look on pink bike too. If anybody sees a “good deal” let me know. I’m ok spending $. Just want to perceive I’m getting some value. Haha
    I grabbed an entry level Norco Bigfoot 6.3 with mech disc a few seasons ago for just under $1200?. If it is mainly for commuting, nothing wrong with the entry level models. Easy to work on, and you can always upgrade components later. Budget extra for studded tires though, dillinger or similar.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    I grabbed an entry level Norco Bigfoot 6.3 with mech disc a few seasons ago for just under $1200?. If it is mainly for commuting, nothing wrong with the entry level models. Easy to work on, and you can always upgrade components later. Budget extra for studded tires though, dillinger or similar.
    Ya just talked to a guy at work who said he won’t ride his fat bike to work bc the components are too good and the salt just kills it.

CalgaryGTS pointed out moose bikes as decent cheap fat bikes. Anybody have experience other than a google review which I’ve read.

Moose fat bike 2 on sale for $1299
    https://moosebicycle.com/collections...at-bike-2-2018

Compared with Norco Bigfoot 2
    https://www.bowcycle.com/bicycle/bigfoot-2-black/

The Bigfoot 1 is even cheaper if mechanical brakes is good enough
    https://moosebicycle.com/collections...at-bike-1-2018

On a side note rode this morning using north edworthy river detour. Wasn’t too bad on my 35 marathon winters

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

My front derailleur refuses to shift now after 3 seasons. I never use it anyways and plan to convert to 1X eventually.

For that price difference I would go mech disc, and grab a set of cheap studded tires. Google the Arisun Sharktooth for budget studded fat bike tires. They work fine for commuting, and should only set you back about $80/ea. So you're easily under $1k for a fat bike commuter.

Plus committing to riding a fat bike all winter is an easy way to build your FTP. lol
    Last edited by CLiVE; 10-09-2018 at 11:12 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    My front derailleur refuses to shift now after 3 seasons. I never use it anyways and plan to convert to 1X eventually.

For that price difference I would go mech disc, and grab a set of cheap studded tires. Google the Arisun Sharktooth for budget studded fat bike tires. They work fine for commuting, and should only set you back about $80/ea. So you're easily under $1k for a fat bike commuter.

Plus committing to riding a fat bike all winter is an easy way to build your FTP. lol
    How far is your commute with the fat bike?
    As much as I want to ride all year, driving on Deerfoot to get to Telus Spark and then ride to downtown seems to be more inconvenient than just hopping on the c-train in Saddletown.
    Wondering what if I get 700x38 studded tires and ride from McKnight to downtown instead.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

How far is your commute with the fat bike?
    As much as I want to ride all year, driving on Deerfoot to get to Telus Spark and then ride to downtown seems to be more inconvenient than just hopping on the c-train in Saddletown.
    Wondering what if I get 700x38 studded tires and ride from McKnight to downtown instead.
    My entire commute from home the NW is 21km. I have done the whole thing on the fat bike, but my training schedule really dictates how far I commute (as well as road conditions/meeting schedule, etc.), I'll park wherever is convenient to get in the mileage/time my coach has prescribed, and often extend or do multiple loops if required. (Nose Hill (14km), Shouldice (8km), Brentwood (~8km), Edworthy (7km), etc.) I either bike or run from any of those locations. I just don't like people....transit isn't an option. lol. Downside - I sometimes I forget where I left my truck.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 10-09-2018 at 02:01 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

went all in and ordered a pair of Schwalbe WInter Tire 700 from the MEC, unfortunately it won't be here until Thursday so really I wont bother putting it on until the next snow dump in a couple of weeks lol.
    I'll try and ride as much as I can from McKnight or 64th, if weather is really bad then I'll just take the C-Train

My Ride

Ya just talked to a guy at work who said he won’t ride his fat bike to work bc the components are too good and the salt just kills it.
    I run fairly high end components all winter and never noticed anything bad happen. (Chris king hubs, cane creek shocks, etc). over 4000 km last winter and the whole driveline survived
    I've had the cassette/chain freeze up many times where you can only shift through a few gears, or only 1 gear when it gets bad. Let it thaw out and it's good to go again though.

Even my cheaper fatbike only had 1 freewheel failure over the winter (bbshd powered, leg power wouldn't have done this). Only put 900 km on that one though.
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted131 View Post
    I've had the cassette/chain freeze up many times where you can only shift through a few gears, or only 1 gear when it gets bad. Let it thaw out and it's good to go again though.
    That's really key - take the bike inside on cold days. If I leave it in my truck overnight after riding - good luck getting things to move the next day.

Page 67 of 94 FirstFirst ... 57 66 67 68 77 ... LastLast