Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 81 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 71 80 81 82 91 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1849

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

My Ride
    rally pig

crazy, glad that there were some nice people looking out there for thieves.

rear derailleur cable still good?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    crazy, glad that there were some nice people looking out there for thieves.

rear derailleur cable still good?
    Yeah, seems to work okay. The rear tire kept popping off when I tried riding it home, but it turned out the chain was dislodged and not seated in the rear derailleur properly. I'll have to give the bike a look over when I'm less pissed off about the whole incident.

Any suggestions for good places to find a 2nd hand commuter bike? (other than Kijiji & FB Marketplace).

I'd love to try find a good deal on a 3+ year old hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by 1pac View Post
    Any suggestions for good places to find a 2nd hand commuter bike? (other than Kijiji & FB Marketplace).

I'd love to try find a good deal on a 3+ year old hybrid.
    pinkbike
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Could make for some nice riding this spring.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-in-the-spring.

Banff National Park offering new and improved cycling opportunities for visitors in the spring

The positive feedback received after last year's closures for cyclists inspired the new offerings and is part of an overarching goal to increase sustainability in the park, Rubeling said
    Olivia Condon
    Publishing date: Mar 11, 2021

Staff in Banff National Park are introducing new and improved plans for cyclists to enjoy the warming weather in the mountains on two wheels.

From May 1 to May 20, the national park will test a Monday to Thursday closure to vehicle traffic on the Minnewanka Loop to give cyclists more room, while still allowing motorists to access the area Friday to Sunday.

The closure will happen at the first T intersection on Minnewanka Loop Road, and parking for cyclists will be available at the Cascade Ponds day-use area.

Additionally, along the Bow Valley Parkway — from the Fireside day-use area to the junction with Highway 93 — the closure to vehicles that was in place last summer will resume this year beginning in late May.

Daniella Rubeling, visitor experience manager with Parks Canada, said a few adjustments have been made based on lessons learned last year.

“With that offer this summer, we’re asking visitors and cyclists to start in Banff, so to park either at the town of Banff’s Fenlands Recreation Centre or the train station parking lots, then they can access the 1A by going on the Legacy Trail from Vermilion Lakes,” she said.

She added that a sorely missed transit route last year to the Johnson Canyon trail, the Roam route 9, will once again operate this year, allowing visitors to park in Banff and take the bus to the popular spot.

“Starting May 21, in time for the long weekend, public transit to the Johnson Canyon day-use area will resume,” she said. “We like to strongly discourage pedestrian access and encourage people to take transit instead from Banff, hike the canyon trail and then take the bus back to Banff.”

The annual Bow Valley Parkway closure to all traffic remains in effect from March 1 until June 25 from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m., to give wildlife the space needed to access the valley to feed and birth young.

The positive feedback received after last year’s closures for cyclists inspired the new offerings and is part of an overarching goal to increase sustainability in the park, Rubeling said.

“We’re all gearing up for another busy summer and we recognize that last year, this winter and this summer, getting outside has been a huge source of release for regional visitors,” she said. “We’re ramping back up to include transit as part of the way we’re asking people to experience the national park in order to have that movement throughout be sustainable.”

My Ride
    rally pig

that's great news, love doing that Minnewanka loop from Canmore.

have every other Fridays off this summer and have lots of vacation days to burn so let me know if you are up for a ride this summer.

my goal this year is to do Canmore to Lake Louise to achieve my first centennial in miles.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

have every other Fridays off this summer and have lots of vacation days to burn so let me know if you are up for a ride this summer.

my goal this year is to do Canmore to Lake Louise to achieve my first centennial in miles.
    Count me in on that!!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Who the hell is gonna ride a bus.....

We only rode it once last year and it was great. Hope to do a few more times this year

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

yep, great ride. Did it a few times last year and I'll do a few more this year.

My Ride
    Exploded.

How much experience do I need to join? I only ride around town but would like to try!

My Ride
    Wankels!

Canmore to Lake Louise is not technically challenging. There aren't any steep/long climbs (unless also riding up to the LL Chateau) but 160km is long enough that you'll want to be comfortable riding 3-4 hours before attempting the trip out and back. I would suggest starting in Banff for the first time - it's something like 110km total then and almost all of that is the parkway.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    How much experience do I need to join? I only ride around town but would like to try!
    depends which route.
    Canmore to Banff is easy, lots of families and kids rides in the summer. if you can do 20-40km roundtrip then you can do this.

Lake Minnewanka loop has some elevation gains so you will need some decent gearing.

I took my cousin Canmore to Lake Minnewanka to Banff last summer, about 60-70km and he was riding a steel 30lbs bike with only 1x7 gears. he had to walk on some of the climbs

found this on my bike before my bike ride yesterday, glad I made it home before it went full flat.

shoulder season is really not the best for summer tires, knew I should have swapped them over first.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    Canmore to Lake Louise is not technically challenging. There aren't any steep/long climbs (unless also riding up to the LL Chateau) but 160km is long enough that you'll want to be comfortable riding 3-4 hours before attempting the trip out and back. I would suggest starting in Banff for the first time - it's something like 110km total then and almost all of that is the parkway.
    I did my first centennial in KM last year, Canmore to Lake Minnewanka to Johnston Canyon last year and yeah it wasn't overly challenging over than my butt being sore (didnt pad properly) and hot feet on the last 10km of the ride.
    I want to make it all the way to the LL Chateau so I'm trying to figure whether to start from Banff or Canmore right now.
    Last edited by taemo; 03-15-2021 at 09:01 AM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

depends which route.
    Canmore to Banff is easy, lots of families and kids rides in the summer. if you can do 20-40km roundtrip then you can do this.

Lake Minnewanka loop has some elevation gains so you will need some decent gearing.

I took my cousin Canmore to Lake Minnewanka to Banff last summer, about 60-70km and he was riding a steal 30lbs bike with only 1x7 gears. he had to walk on some of the climbs

found this on my bike before my bike ride yesterday, glad I made it home before it went full flat.

shoulder season is really not the best for summer tires, knew I should have swapped them over first.

I did my first centennial in KM last year, Canmore to Lake Minnewanka to Johnston Canyon last year and yeah it wasn't overly challenging over than my butt being sore (didnt pad properly) and hot feet on the last 10km of the ride.
    I want to make it all the way to the LL Chateau so I'm trying to figure whether to start from Banff or Canmore right now.
    Oh good to know! I have a 6x2 but it's light enough? I'll weigh it later.

First ride of the year for me, and first full ride with my latest build, Pumpkin. Any recommendations for a less knobby tire?:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  64.8 KB

My Ride
    rally pig

I use 26 x 1.5 cruiser tires in the summer, you can search for some 26 x 1.75 cruisers tires though as most MTB wheels supports 1.75 and wider.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod193348

if my cousin did it with a commuter steel bike with fenders and 1x7, you can do it no problem with your bike haha.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    Is that 3-4 hours your time or normal humans? Hahaha

I took my cousin Canmore to Lake Minnewanka to Banff last summer, about 60-70km and he was riding a steel 30lbs bike with only 1x7 gears.
    Yeah when you, Matt, and I do Canmore -> Lake Minnewanka -> Banff -> Canmore, that's about 60km. @flipstah if you want to join us, we can hit you up next time we go. I actually didn't do this ride last year cause of all the covid craziness, so I'm hoping to at least get to do it a few times this year to make up for it. I was even thinking about doing it soon, but I saw the Legacy trail is still iced over on some parts.

You can also try Eau Claire to Chestermere. That's about 70km round trip. From your place, you can probably add 10km to the overall trip. It's a pretty flat ride. You see children and elderly on both the Chestermere and Canmore rides, so there's no reason why you couldn't do it.

Yeah I took off my studs yesterday and put on my cruiser tires. I wouldn't want to put road tires on right now.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Is that 3-4 hours your time or normal humans? Hahaha
    Hah! I wish I could ride 160km in 4 hours. It was more meant like if you're able to spend 3-4 hours on your bike and not feel like dying you can probably go 5-6 hours. For a lot of people 160km is 8 hours on the bike, which means a hydration and nutrition strategy is a good idea.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Bike to Work Day
    Friday, May 7th, 2021
    http://biketoworkdaycalgary.ca/bike-to-work-day-2021

My Ride
    rally pig

^I've put a reminder on my calendar to go to the office that day, hopefully I can get some swags again

are you just going to make a lap around your place?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

are you just going to make a lap around your place?
    Pretty much haha

My Ride
    rally pig

A road cyclist and a woman on a MTB collided with each other on this blind corner by the zoo on Wednesday.
    Guy's face was all bloody and lost some tooth. Bike's fork broke in half too.
    It is a really narrow road and has a blind corner so don't forget to slow down through it and/or ring your bell

Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 71 80 81 82 91 ... LastLast