Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 41 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 41 of 94 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

My Ride
    Ford

wife just messaged me after pulling the chariot with kid to daycare on her way to work thru the snow. "will be buying an electric bike this week"
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by blairtruck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wife just messaged me after pulling the chariot with kid to daycare on her way to work thru the snow. "will be buying an electric bike this week"
    Ebikes are awesome for winter I convert normal bikes to ebikes

For the guys running fenders, what fenders would you recommend for a 2.4" tire?
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted131 View Post
    How hard is it on the stud tips running them on pavement ? It seems like half the pathways are bare, and half have ice/snow. I have ice spiker pros on all my bikes.
    meh. Just ride your bike and don't worry about it. lol. I run mine early / late in the season on often bare pathways. 2 seasons and my marathons still seem fine.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    meh. Just ride your bike and don't worry about it. lol. I run mine early / late in the season on often bare pathways. 2 seasons and my marathons still seem fine.
    Good to hear. Carbide studs should last a long time I'd think. Considering people run them in atv's /full size vehicles that weigh alot more. I'm curious how many km you can expect from a set of these ice spiker pros
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride

the 2.35" ice spiker pros run great in conditions like what you posted, Pretty sure I went by the same spot where the pic was taken on the thursday/friday we got dumped on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post
    I was in the same boat this morning. I almost bailed twice before I got half way to work. I kept on washing out over packed snow, called it quits and did a work from home day as well.
    Attachment 80443Attachment 80444
    the 2.35" ice spiker pros run great in conditions like what you posted, Pretty sure I went by the same spot where the pic was taken on the thursday/friday we got dumped on.
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Commute from the SW was rough the past 2 days. Reservoir/Elbow pathway not plowed. Secondary roads disastrous. Rode a bit on Elbow drive, but the shoulder isn't plowed, therefore had to ride in the middle of the lane, and nearly got creamed/ran off the road multiple times by road-raging drivers who couldn't deal with changing lanes to go around me. Same thing on 2nd St SW - whats the point in designating it a "bike route" if the shoulder isn't going to be cleared, and riders have to ride in the middle of the road?? I don't get it....

Was it this bad last year, or I have I just gone soft? I should have bought a house in Bowness so I could ride on a nice cleared pathway the whole way....

My Ride
    07 997TT

got out on my studs this morning for the first time. No idea how hard they are but they definitely make a lot more road noise. daylight savings helped as your not riding in the complete dark at least.

fingers froze despite doubling up a seal skinz glove inside a gore windstopper.... and it wasn't even that cold!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by a social dsease View Post
    whats the point in designating it a "bike route" if the shoulder isn't going to be cleared, and riders have to ride in the middle of the road?? I don't get it....

Was it this bad last year, or I have I just gone soft? I should have bought a house in Bowness so I could ride on a nice cleared pathway the whole way....
    We got a lot of snow in a short period and cyclists aren't really the priority. After a week or two the shoulders wouldn't be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 997TT View Post
    fingers froze despite doubling up a seal skinz glove inside a gore windstopper.... and it wasn't even that cold!
    I have three layers of gloves it's still rough!

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I have three layers of gloves it's still rough!
    I ride with dakine snowboard gloves and I've never had a problem with cold fingers. Any of my 'winter' cycling gloves - forget it.

My Ride

I wear a single pair of helly hansen cold weather work wear gloves from Marks warehouse. And I have weak fingers that seem to get cold easy. They're good for -20 riding.
    Hittin' every hole

2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    We got a lot of snow in a short period and cyclists aren't really the priority. After a week or two the shoulders wouldn't be so bad.
    Obviously after a couple weeks (and a chinook rolls through) the conditions will improve. I just don't recall (in my 3+ yrs of winter commuting) the snow removal effort from the city being so poor. We only got 17cm of snow, ending 4 days ago, and the primary bike route serving a good chunk of the city still isn't cleared. In previous yrs it would be done within 24hrs. To say "cyclists aren't really the priority" is a gross understatement.... How much further down the priority list can we possibly slide?

Sorry for the rant guys, just a really difficult ride in today, nearly got smoked multiple times. Very stressful - I don't want to die just trying to get to work. It's frustrating because the resources/effort required to significantly improve the cycling conditions seems so minimal, yet every year instead of improving, things get worse and worse...

My Ride
    wrx wagon

To quit my whining, and actually add some value to the thread, I'll mention that this is what I'm wearing for mitts.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...g.html#start=1

I've had chronic cold fingers for years, tried many different options, but never found a good solution until I got these guys. Tested commuting at -22°C, hands warm as can be after over an hour. The biggest downside is that they are almost too warm - anything warmer than -10°C and my hands start to sweat!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

You guys definitely need to up your glove game if you were cold this morning. I was sweating in these: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/e.../2433550054008

Windstopper plus down..DONE..

i was dying from sweat this morning, dont think ive ever worked so hard to go so slow... paths were intermittently perfect, to brutal. The quarry park side clearing crew was obviously getting paid better then the dog park side..

My Ride
    1928 Ford Roadster, 1930 Ford Roadster

Cold Fingers; Instead of too many layers and risking restricting your circulation consider a set of Bar Mitts.
    They allow you to wear a less restrictive glove which also makes other tasks less clumsy, like unzipping a layer, or adjusting glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by Cword View Post
    Cold Fingers; Instead of too many layers and risking restricting your circulation consider a set of Bar Mitts.
    They allow you to wear a less restrictive glove which also makes other tasks less clumsy, like unzipping a layer, or adjusting glasses...
    Yea bar mitts are key. Even my best snowboard gloves only last me about a half hr to 45 mins before the hands start getting cold without bar mitts.

I use the cheapo mec ones but will be buying the true bar mitts soon.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Could be the valve too if you can’t find a leak. I don’t think quality control is very high on tubes
    tightened up the valve core and it's holding pressure. Should have remembered that from a vid I watched a while back, to tighten the cores on all new tubes that you buy. Thanks!
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    tightened up the valve core and it's holding pressure. Should have remembered that from a vid I watched a while back, to tighten the cores on all new tubes that you buy. Thanks!
    Funny. I had the exact same problem on my fat bike 2 days ago. Flat - removed the tube. Checked it with soapy water, put it in the tub. Nothing. Checked the valve core - bingo.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya. When I'm running on pathways I can always tell who has bar mitts. The ones too lazy to remove their hands to ring their bell. lol.

Funny. I had the exact same problem on my fat bike 2 days ago. Flat - removed the tube. Checked it with soapy water, put it in the tub. Nothing. Checked the valve core - bingo.
    wish I didn't already throw out the old tube
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    1928 Ford Roadster, 1930 Ford Roadster

Ya. When I'm running on pathways I can always tell who has bar mitts. The ones too lazy to remove their hands to ring their bell. lol.
    You should have already heard their studs buzzing anyway ;-)

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

You should have already heard their studs buzzing anyway ;-)
    Fat bike...sure. lol. If I'm beside a major road traffic noise usually drowns it out.

Page 41 of 94 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 51 ... LastLast