Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 82 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 72 81 82 83 92 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1862

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A road cyclist and a woman on a MTB collided with each other on this blind corner by the zoo on Wednesday.
    Guy's face was all bloody and lost some tooth. Bike's fork broke in half too.
    It is a really narrow road and has a blind corner so don't forget to slow down through it and/or ring your bell
    Had a close call at the same spot a few year ago. Two chicks riding side by side talking to each other while coming around the blind corner. I always slow down coming through here now cuz you never know what's around the corner. Bell rings are a must. Terrible path design also. There's just no need for a blind corner here.

My Ride
    Wankels!

A road cyclist and a woman on a MTB collided with each other on this blind corner by the zoo on Wednesday.
    Guy's face was all bloody and lost some tooth. Bike's fork broke in half too.
    It is a really narrow road and has a blind corner so don't forget to slow down through it and/or ring your bell
    I had a really close call there once with people walking three wide at the bottom. Idiots. I remember there was a really bad head on collision there - looks like 2009. Guy broke his jaw and some ribs.

My Ride
    Exploded.

My condo parkade is getting repaired next 6-8 weeks so I have to commute by bike. What do you guys use to hold your smartphone for navigation/Strava details?
    @taemo I biked that corner before and it's sketchy af. Same as the path around the bridge.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    My condo parkade is getting repaired next 6-8 weeks so I have to commute by bike. What do you guys use to hold your smartphone for navigation/Strava details?
    @taemo I biked that corner before and it's sketchy af. Same as the path around the bridge.
    Back pocket of the jersey. Look at the route before hand. lol
    Quadlock looks to be one of the easiest / best options out there....

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Do you really need Strava mounted to your bars to remind you how slow you are?

My Ride
    rally pig

+1 on the back pocket of my jersey or a fanny pack if just cycling leisurely around Calgary.

bought this though so that I can mount the phone on my bar for long ride as I decided I dont need a bike computer.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I have this one on my bike and it's worked great.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07L3MFSHJ/

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I like keeping the bars uncluttered, and really don't care about Strava segments. (just shows who likes to ride in the wind). I wear a garmin 935 on my wrist to collect data (linked to strava after the fact), and use an old small Garmin Edge500 for training / racing just to see my wattage #s. Will sometimes take the phone in the back pocket, or a Garmin Inreach MINI if I'll be out of cell range.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Do you really need Strava mounted to your bars to remind you how slow you are?
    snap crackle pop

+1 on the back pocket of my jersey or a fanny pack if just cycling leisurely around Calgary.

bought this though so that I can mount the phone on my bar for long ride as I decided I dont need a bike computer.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Bought the same one yesterday!

My Ride
    rally pig

Joining the prestige "Got in a bike/car accident" when a vehicle illegally turned from 5th st to 5th ave SW while I was on the bike lane heading north yesterday afternoon.
    Came out with a broken collar bone so I may be out riding for the summer

Picked up the bike from the fire hall this morning and surprisingly the bike did well with the fork absorbing most of the impact.
    Will bring it to a bike shop for inspection and estimates, hoping to see if wheels and frames are salvageable.
    Bummer as this has been one of my favourite bikes so I hope replacing the fork is all I need to do to fix it.

Just trying to get the full collision report from the cops now so that I can contact the drivers insurance.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Joining the prestige "Got in a bike/car accident" when a vehicle illegally turned from 5th st to 5th ave SW while I was on the bike lane heading north yesterday afternoon.
    Came out with a broken collar bone so I may be out riding for the summer

Picked up the bike from the fire hall this morning and surprisingly the bike did well with the fork absorbing most of the impact.
    Will bring it to a bike shop for inspection and estimates, hoping to see if wheels and frames are salvageable.
    Bummer as this has been one of my favourite bikes so I hope replacing the fork is all I need to do to fix it.

Just trying to get the full collision report from the cops now so that I can contact the drivers insurance.
    Holy shit glad you're (relatively) okay

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

The one bad thing with the back jersey pocket is most of them are open, so if you do take a spill stuff can slide out pretty easily. I lost a hand-pump that way once when my then-GF nailed one of those pathway gate posts (I was clipped in and rolled over when I stopped...pump slid out when I hit the ground).
    I typically throw my phone in either a saddle bag (mounted beneath the saddle on the seatpost). I also have a sugoi bib which has pockets, so that's a winner too.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Oh man, that's terrible news. So sorry! Idiot drivers are the worst, what was their excuse? I ride on that cycle track frequently, a reminder for me to be even more vigilant. Hope the frame is salvageable and the Hunt wheels still true.
    Last edited by kJUMP; 05-18-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Ouch sorry to hear that hope you're back in the saddle soon. I see way too many close calls when cycling thru DT. Personally I slow down and watch for traffic at every intersection even if I have the green or right of way. Basically treat every intersection like a blind corner. Most drivers here are not cyclists and aren't used to checking for cyclists. Not worth shaving a few seconds off your average speed to rush thru intersections.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Ugh, sorry about your collarbone and bike. Hope you heal up quickly.

My Ride
    rally pig

thanks everyone, right now I just want the collarbone to heal so that I can get life a little back to normal and hoping that I can get on a bike again before summer ends lol

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Ouch sorry to hear that hope you're back in the saddle soon. I see way too many close calls when cycling thru DT. Personally I slow down and watch for traffic at every intersection even if I have the green or right of way. Basically treat every intersection like a blind corner. Most drivers here are not cyclists and aren't used to checking for cyclists. Not worth shaving a few seconds off your average speed to rush thru intersections.
    yeah, I'm usually careful especially at intersections, always checking my surrounding. I was halfway the intersection already when all of a sudden I saw the car turn on 5th ave so I had less than 15ft to react, brake and avoid her.
    I think part of the issue was that she was a young driver and due to some constructions on the bike lane, they setup a temporary bike lane so maybe the driver didnt know she could not turn when red.

collision happened here

hoping the frame can be salvageable as I love this as my commuter bike so will drop it to Bike and Brew or The Bike Shop for inspection

My Ride
    Exploded.

thanks everyone, right now I just want the collarbone to heal so that I can get life a little back to normal and hoping that I can get on a bike again before summer ends lol

yeah, I'm usually careful especially at intersections, always checking my surrounding. I was halfway the intersection already when all of a sudden I saw the car turn on 5th ave so I had less than 15ft to react, brake and avoid her.
    I think part of the issue was that she was a young driver and due to some constructions on the bike lane, they setup a temporary bike lane so maybe the driver didnt know she could not turn when red.

collision happened here

hoping the frame can be salvageable as I love this as my commuter bike so will drop it to Bike and Brew or The Bike Shop for inspection
    Oh yeah I bike there recently and they moved the bike lane over so it could get confusing. I had to wait for a couple cars to illegally go because they looked confused too.

Side note: When you're waiting at those lanes do you look at the driver on your right to acknowledge that they see you? I do it all the time and I get roll eyes.

Maybe because I wink or I'm a minority :shrug:

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Heal up! Sorry to hear, I've had so many close calls on that section of bike lane also......

A broken clavicle is a terrible injury.

Heal up soon!

Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 72 81 82 83 92 ... LastLast