Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1849

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice night for a ride!

Attachment 94061
    nice, hopefully we can go on a ride before weather gets crappy.
    was planning to go the mountains yesterday but traffic getting out of Calgary turned me off and decided to do a quick ride to fish creek instead where i had my first puncture of the year, so that turned me off from sworks tires, continental only for me from now on (0 puncture with ultra, gatorskin, gp4000 and 5000)

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    nice, hopefully we can go on a ride before weather gets crappy.
    was planning to go the mountains yesterday but traffic getting out of Calgary turned me off and decided to do a quick ride to fish creek instead where i had my first puncture of the year, so that turned me off from sworks tires, continental only for me from now on (0 puncture with ultra, gatorskin, gp4000 and 5000)
    Have had so many punctures in races with 4000/5000s. I won't run them anymore. Gatorskins no issues.

My Ride
    Wankels!

I've had one flat with GP4000s this year, and that was the tube failing at the valve so it doesn't count. ~7000km on this set of tires this year. Have also had great success with gatorskins though - it's what I would run if I commuted.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I haven't had punctures on my GP4000's yet, but I did have a pinch flat so that doesn't count either.

I've read that Gatorskins don't have good wet traction, so I went with Ultra II's on my commuter instead. I was willing to trade of puncture resistance for wet pavement traction. No problems there.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I haven't had punctures on my GP4000's yet, but I did have a pinch flat so that doesn't count either.

I've read that Gatorskins don't have good wet traction, so I went with Ultra II's on my commuter instead. I was willing to trade of puncture resistance for wet pavement traction. No problems there.
    I love my Ultra II as well.

Is changing for lighter wheels beneficial? I have the Alex X404 that I got from Aerobat and they ride so good but I'm just curious. I just propose the question more for learning purposes.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    I love my Ultra II as well.

Is changing for lighter wheels beneficial? I have the Alex X404 that I got from Aerobat and they ride so good but I'm just curious. I just propose the question more for learning purposes.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/393...70#post4687270

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Neat! Thanks my dude.

I've been doing more rides lately and bumped into @taemo which was neat! My average speed sucks though (NNNNNOOOOOOBBBBB)

I also did the uphill on 10th near SAIT and it was a sad reading... Thanks, Strava

I am also feeling it on my Achilles this morning so my saddle might be too high.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    rally pig

Neat! Thanks my dude.

I've been doing more rides lately and bumped into @taemo which was neat! My average speed sucks though (NNNNNOOOOOOBBBBB)

I also did the uphill on 10th near SAIT and it was a sad reading... Thanks, Strava

I am also feeling it on my Achilles this morning so my saddle might be too high.
    yeah work on yourself first before spending on upgrades.

lighter wheels just makes it easier for climbing and less power you need to exert when pedaling but not really noticeable if you are just doing short rides around Calgary.

I have 2 wheelsets for my commuter bike, one is a stock 1.9kg wheelset and my hunt wheelset at 1.5kg. commute time difference between the two is maybe 30-60s if ever.

My Ride
    Exploded.

lighter wheels just makes it easier for climbing and less power you need to exert when pedaling but not really noticeable if you are just doing short rides around Calgary.

I have 2 wheelsets for my commuter bike, one is a stock 1.9kg wheelset and my hunt wheelset at 1.5kg. commute time difference between the two is maybe 30-60s if ever.
    Yup, just working on proper cadence and positioning more than anything right now. It's the little changes that made a big difference in how my road bike handles. Love it now.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    Wankels!

This is the best advice. The way to go faster is to get fitter, first. If you're going to upgrade anything on a bike it should probably be tires first. Best bang for the buck is swapping out stock tires for some low(er) rolling resistance ones. Like Taemo I have different wheelsets (one for climbing, one that is more aero), and tires have made much more of a difference than the wheels ever have. Went from Conti gatorskins (which I love) to Conti GP4000 II and the difference is immediately noticable.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    This is the best advice. The way to go faster is to get fitter, first. If you're going to upgrade anything on a bike it should probably be tires first. Best bang for the buck is swapping out stock tires for some low(er) rolling resistance ones. Like Taemo I have different wheelsets (one for climbing, one that is more aero), and tires have made much more of a difference than the wheels ever have. Went from Conti gatorskins (which I love) to Conti GP4000 II and the difference is immediately noticable.
    Yup the hill climb is what I'll be working on as the season ends and spring 2021!
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    question, on your regular rides which ones would you think is more efficient and make you go faster, the lighter wheelset or the aero one?

debating on whether to upgrade my c27 wheelset for a c35 or c40.

Yup the hill climb is what I'll be working on as the season ends and spring 2021!
    yeah, I always thought how daunting it was to climb the 10th street hill until I rode it this summer.

now go try edworthy park haha.
    Last edited by taemo; 09-24-2020 at 11:44 AM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

question, on your regular rides which ones would you think is more efficient and make you go faster, the lighter wheelset or the aero one?

yeah, I always thought how daunting it was to climb the 10th street hill until I rode it this summer.

I gassed out on the first area where they park scooters at the top before the crosswalk lights. Mostly because I stood up and kneed my rear shifter to high gear FML
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Lighter wheels are more responsive, you can definitely feel it when you put the power down. Aero wheels are better at maintaining speed. So get both lol?! Another issue with aero wheels if you are a light guy, they can be a handful on a windy day.

There was construction on Edworthy last week, it was single direction with stop light. I doubt that they are done anytime soon. I would avoid that route for the time being.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Did downtown to 17th Ave International Ave and holy shit, we have nice bike paths here.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    Wankels!

The answer to that question probably depends on what your normal ride looks like. Do you go ride outside of the city seeking out hills? I tend to, but still think that if I did the hilliest of loops around springbank I'd be better off with a more aerodynamic set than the climbing wheels I currently have on. I recently did the Branch Out Sprint course on my dura-ace climbing wheels - 57.16km in 1:33 @ 36.7km/h average with 2 decent climbs and 2 smaller climbs in it. I figure I'd be faster on some 40-50mm aero wheels.
    Lighter wheels are more responsive, but once you're rolling the weight doesn't seem to matter as much. Also for faster climbs aerodynamics make a difference - my fastest attempt on Edworthy was 24.9km/h average so unless you're doing a bunch of repeats at a slower speed, aerodynamic wheels might give you the fastest time up that too.
    I'd say overall you're better off with aero wheels in the Calgary area. We don't have many climbs that warrant having super low pro climbing wheels. I think a super lightweight 40-50mm set would be best for all conditions. I took my climbing wheels to Maui last year and loved them though, but when you're grinding up 15-25% inclines you don't need aero

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    Lighter wheels are more responsive, you can definitely feel it when you put the power down. Aero wheels are better at maintaining speed. So get both lol?! Another issue with aero wheels if you are a light guy, they can be a handful on a windy day.

There was construction on Edworthy last week, it was single direction with stop light. I doubt that they are done anytime soon. I would avoid that route for the time being.
    I think Edworthy is alternating lane for quite some time. They're really ripping it up.

Alternatives for hill repeats in the West:
    Patterson Hill (https://www.strava.com/segments/5483544)
    COP (still closed I think)
    Old Banff Coach Road (OBCR to Pull-out) https://www.strava.com/segments/3707018
    Silvercreek Climb (https://www.strava.com/segments/2004113)
    Escarpment (https://www.strava.com/segments/1474938)
    Wild Rose Drive Climb (my personal favourite https://www.strava.com/segments/1013303)
    Springbank Heights Way (https://www.strava.com/segments/11844389)
    Slopeview (https://www.strava.com/segments/1345302) - this one might get some funny looks because it's gated at the top

Aero is faster in almost all scenarios. Whatever you have to go up, you have to go back down, and like Penguin said, there aren’t any hills in this area that are steep enough to warrant the lightweight over the aero wheels. I normally rode 40-50mm wheels, but find myself going for the 60ish mm wheels more now. Maybe to compensate for how slow I am.

My Ride
    rally pig

thanks for the input guys, yeah I'm considering getting a deeper wheelset (maybe c40) in the springs, compare it to the c27 and see which one feels faster

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Well my new years is off to a good start.

I rode my bike to downtown Superstore to get some stuff and some people tried to steal my bike while I was in the store but couldn't cut the lock before some bystanders scared them off. Hurray for Kryptonite locks! Damage to the lock is all cosmetic and it's still functional. The lock cutter just scuffed up the metal frame.

Scratched and dented my bike pretty nicely though.

When they chased the guy off, one of them managed to get some pictures of the vehicle (guy in the truck). Unfortunately the license plate is completely unreadable. They said the guy in the car was claiming to be a witness and has video of the guy, but there's a chance he might be working with the guy in the truck by blocking the view of the lock cutting. I hope they're wrong and really is a witness.

Page 80 of 93 FirstFirst ... 70 79 80 81 90 ... LastLast