Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 36 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 36 of 94 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

It really does feel good to whoop someone on an expensive bike while riding a cheapo.

I know it’s not a race but on the MEC 100k I passed a lot of really expensive bikes.

I was riding a cheap upright hybrid, flat pedals, no spandex, camelback on, 32mm tires. About the cheapest groupset out there etc

That being said I want to shave 10% off my time and do the 100 in under 3.5 hours next time. Some of that definitely will come from increasing fitness and losing weight. But commuting 40kms a day, training Muay Thai and riding at least one decent ride on the weekend I don’t have the time or energy to put a hell of a lot more into training without getting super serious about it .

So definitely going to upgrade the equipment to try and make up some of that time in gear. Way better bike, full spandex, more aero helmet etc. My current bike (kona dew) weighs 26 lbs so I think even a cheap road bike saving 5lbs and a way more aero riding position will provide decent uplift.
    Last edited by J-hop; 10-14-2017 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    66 Accord

@J-hop I also own a Kona Dew and regularly drop people on expensive bikes around the city. Its probably one of the best feelings in the world. I like how easy it is to disassemble and throw in the trunk of me El cheapo 6-6 Accord which also drops people around Calgary.

Everyone here should probably get a dew.

Name:  bIVPP7k_d.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  4.5 KB
    Last edited by narou; 10-15-2017 at 08:37 PM.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It really does feel good to whoop someone on an expensive bike while riding a cheapo.

I know it’s not a race but on the MEC 100k I passed a lot of really expensive bikes.

I was riding a cheap upright hybrid, flat pedals, no spandex, camelback on, 32mm tires. About the cheapest groupset out there etc

That being said I want to shave 10% off my time and do the 100 in under 3.5 hours next time. Some of that definitely will come from increasing fitness and losing weight. But commuting 40kms a day, training Muay Thai and riding at least one decent ride on the weekend I don’t have the time or energy to put a hell of a lot more into training without getting super serious about it .

So definitely going to upgrade the equipment to try and make up some of that time in gear. Way better bike, full spandex, more aero helmet etc. My current bike (kona dew) weighs 26 lbs so I think even a cheap road bike saving 5lbs and a way more aero riding position will provide decent uplift.
    I would imagine that going to a road bike with slick 25mm tires and more aero clothing will easily get you that 10% off your time without changing your current fitness level. 32mm tires with "baggy" clothing in an upright position creates a LOT of drag.

My Ride
    07 997TT

today is gonna be a fun ride with wind gusts ... yesterday was painful but today will be worse.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Headwind for me for the first 1/3 of my ride, then tailwind for the last 2/3.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Just set up strava this week to log my rides. I ride some of the same segments as u Dnutz. My username is Sergio dipp on strava. We got similar times. Slow and steady kicks my ass most segments and rides the same route as me. Motivation to get faster!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Whoa, took you that long to sign up? haha

Clipless rider commuters- How many that ride clipless are able to clip in first try and/or trackstand at a light and clip in before taking off?

Been driving me insane lately. Seems every second light on my commute I get behind a guy that takes a decade to clip in forcing me into traffic to get around. I’ve only ridden clipless twice and although I had difficulty getting clipped in at first I imagine after a few thousand kms of commuting id have it down pat.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I don't think I can trackstand much if my life depends on it lol. It can take me a few attempts to clip in. A lot times I pedal one-legged to get some momentum and get out of the way before I clip in. Types and brands of pedals vary too, some are easier than others.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    I don't think I can trackstand much if my life depends on it lol. It can take me a few attempts to clip in. A lot times I pedal one-legged to get some momentum and get out of the way before I clip in. Types and brands of pedals vary too, some are easier than others.
    Yea it doesn’t usually bug me except when the guy filters to the front of the line or jumps the light and can’t clip in quickly. The absolute worst is when there isn’t a bike lane so I assume my spot in traffic. Some guy filters down the curb and then blocks traffic while he tries to clip in. Happens so often.

Lately I’ve been practicing trackstanding and on some lights I can make it the whole time. Third ring on the front, first on back and I’m pretty much up to cruising speed just after I’m through the intersection, meanwhile buddy is still halfway through the intersection trying to clip in lol.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Give them a little push over when they're clipped in. That'll teach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    Give them a little push over when they're clipped in. That'll teach them.
    I’ve got about 6 pairs of old flat pedals, while they’re down I’ll throw a pair at them

My Ride
    Hybrid

I can clip in on the first try most of the time, but if I miss the first attempt I pedal with one foot unclipped until I'm up to speed and then clip in.

Also can't trackstand to save my life... should've been practicing before I went clipless.

People who filter ahead bug me too, clipless or not, they're usually slower.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    This is me too. Including the trackstand part haha

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    People who filter ahead bug me too, clipless or not, they're usually slower.
    No kidding. It’s almost always the slow ones that filter.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

i commuted into work this morning, was a good time. couldn't pass up the 10 degree morning weather - that rivals something in the mid summer! though got bit chilly along the nose creek pathway, interesting the temperature delta between an urban/neighbourhood street and the park. hopefully can get a few more commutes in, wish i wasn't such a fair weather rider

My Ride
    07 997TT

So much for saving weight ... just got a new contract at another company and signed up for the bike cage. No bike lock and bldg mgmt. is saying to take your lock home every night. Damn ulock is 3.5 lbs

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quote Originally Posted by 997TT View Post
    So much for saving weight ... just got a new contract at another company and signed up for the bike cage. No bike lock and bldg mgmt. is saying to take your lock home every night. Damn ulock is 3.5 lbs
    Take a look in the bike cage to see if that policy is actually enforced. I bet the bike cage is full of bike locks that are left there overnight.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    Take a look in the bike cage to see if that policy is actually enforced. I bet the bike cage is full of bike locks that are left there overnight.
    Yup, my bike cage has a memo posted from 2011 with a "no locks overnight" policy and there's 40 locks in there.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Also, bikes in the bike cage has the shittiest and crappiest lock. Perfect for thieves.

Page 36 of 94 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast