Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 94 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    But I'm afraid the idiots that will use an ebike to roar along the pathways at 40 kmh will create a crackdown of enforcement.

That would be a real shame.
    I can count the number of ebikes I've seen this year on one hand, and that's including me. There are guys on road bikes who easily crack 40 on the paths.
    heloc that shit

Anyone have an opinion on the Raleigh Cadent 4? I am looking at one this weekend to replace my hardtail mountain bike for the commute to work. Any comment towards a straight bar commuter vs curved? I like my Norco but find I spend 90% of my time in top gear.

Originally posted by lint

I can count the number of ebikes I've seen this year on one hand, and that's including me. There are guys on road bikes who easily crack 40 on the paths.
    Well that's my whole contention with the city. Why ban a certain bike type, when the problems can arise with any bike? It's the person and/or the speed, which as you point out can be done on a regular bike.

So crack down on speeders or dangerous riders if you will...but I would hate to see some CO sitting there handing out fines just because you're on an ebike. A case of low hanging fruit.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

But I'm afraid the idiots that will use an ebike to roar along the pathways at 40 kmh will create a crackdown of enforcement.

That would be a real shame.
    During a few of the nicer days earlier this year, there were peace officers along the bow path in Eau Claire with a speed gun, handing out tickets on the bike path.

it's easy to crack 20km/h on the path with any bicycle and people routinely do. the enforcement is already there and ebikes won't change that.

FYI; The stock turbo-levo I test-rode this week cuts out at 30km/h regardless of the level of assist; from 30 km/h on it's just your legs hauling that 55lb beast along. I've heard there are some software mods floating around that can change that though...
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

So crack down on speeders or dangerous riders if you will...but I would hate to see some CO sitting there handing out fines just because you're on an ebike. A case of low hanging fruit.
    Maybe if there were 1,000's of ebikes on the pathway they would crack down on it, but that's not the case. 10+ yrs of riding my ebike in the winter and when I pull a double chariot in the summer and have never had an issue.

The only time I've seen by-law specifically target an ebike was 5 or 6 years ago when they received enough complaints about an individual that was traveling 50km+ between Peace bridge to Edworthy on the north side of the MUP on a regular basis.

I wouldn't worry about it.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

it's easy to crack 20km/h on the path with any bicycle and people routinely do. the enforcement is already there and ebikes won't change that.
    Very easy to crack that commuting. I take it easy commuting and still have those yellow signs flashing at me but never pushing all out on pathways. If you're doing full on pacing 40km/hr+ - keep it on the road.

I got pulled over, doing 29 in a 10 zone downtown on my mountain bike.. Bylaw gave me a warning.

I'm pretty sure getting a speeding ticket on a bike path would not hold up in court if you decided to take it there. Basically, most people do not have a speedometer on their bike and it's not mandatory either by law, so how are people supposed to know how fast they are going if they don't have a speedo?

Well I don't have a problem with the CO's or the City cracking down on speeders and handing out tickets...I WOULD have a problem if they just started handing out tickets to ebikes being on the path just for the sake of being there. They ARE outlawed from being on the CoC pathways.

so after commuting on my ebike for the past month, I decided to ride in yesterday on my cross bike instead. The weight difference was like night and day and riding into work was really enjoyable, and the ride home on the flats too, but the hills were as bad as I remembered. Takes about 10 mins longer (35 vs 25 mins), but the slow go and heavy panting just killed my sinuses. Sticking with the ebike for commuting.

Going to be putting my 2014 JTS for sale if anyone is interested.
    heloc that shit

^^^the hills are where it's at man they'll make you fitter faster! Just sit and spin in a nice easy gear

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by lint
    so after commuting on my ebike for the past month, I decided to ride in yesterday on my cross bike instead. The weight difference was like night and day and riding into work was really enjoyable, and the ride home on the flats too, but the hills were as bad as I remembered. Takes about 10 mins longer (35 vs 25 mins), but the slow go and heavy panting just killed my sinuses. Sticking with the ebike for commuting.

Going to be putting my 2014 JTS for sale if anyone is interested.
    Out of curiosity what size and what sorta price would you be looking for?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Fuck, this is a good price for a Jake if anyone's looking for one. I paid $500 more brand new just a few months ago for the same one

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/cal...ake/1171463010

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Crushed it to work today. 22:30 with no wind. Down ten minutes from my first few rides

Having a bike computer makes a pretty big difference as i've been trying to keep my average at 30.0 kmh
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 06-06-2016 at 09:26 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

get a power meter and your legs will really hate you lol

Picked up this MEC Col last night off kijiji for $500 last night. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information on this bike online but the price was right and it fit me good. First ride on it was into work this morning, beat my best time by about 15% compared to my hardtail mountain bike with smooth tires. Avg speed was up about 4km/h.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Get some clipless pedals and you'll pickup another bunch of km/hr

nice bike!

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

nice work.. i've been debating making the switch from a similar setup..

i'm cheap though and have been eyeballing kijiji for older road bikes around 200 bucks with zero success. the other day i did see one guy post a half decent bike for $100 intially, contacted him, he said people were bidding higher than his list price. i'm guessing he removed this original listing because the exact same bike came back up in a new ad with slightly different pics the next day at $250 which was disappointing.

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Get some clipless pedals and you'll pickup another bunch of km/hr

nice bike!
    Thanks, it actually came with clipless pedals as well, just have to find some shoes.

Originally posted by JVR1
    nice work.. i've been debating making the switch from a similar setup..

i'm cheap though and have been eyeballing kijiji for older road bikes around 200 bucks with zero success. the other day i did see one guy post a half decent bike for $100 intially, contacted him, he said people were bidding higher than his list price. i'm guessing he removed this original listing because the exact same bike came back up in a new ad with slightly different pics the next day at $250 which was disappointing.
    Even finding something in the under $600 took a few months

Page 8 of 94 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast