Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 39 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 39 of 93 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just out of curiosity, are the tubes Presta or Schrader valves?
    schrader. this is for the folding bike I use to get from my parking lot to my office.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    ya seemed to have nailed todays layer as wasnt cold at all, just curious how far i can go.. god damn its slow on studs though!
    What tire pressure are you running? Last year I was doing 5-10psi based on everyone's recommendations for better traction and it was so sluggish. I got fed up and pumped it up to 30-40 haha

Once they clear the paths it won't be so bad though. It's only slow cause the snow is so powdery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    schrader. this is for the folding bike I use to get from my parking lot to my office.
    Maybe try switching to Presta. I've read Shrader aren't as good for maintaining higher pressures.

Maybe try switching to Presta. I've read Shrader aren't as good for maintaining higher pressures.
    is 60psi considered high pressure? The tires say 50-70psi
    Last edited by lint; 11-02-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    '14 Taco

What tire pressure are you running? Last year I was doing 5-10psi based on everyone's recommendations for better traction and it was so sluggish. I got fed up and pumped it up to 30-40 haha

Once they clear the paths it won't be so bad though. It's only slow cause the snow is so powdery.
    60ish with 700X32Cs

I've dialed in my base layers down to a windchill of -35. What stops me now when we get over a foot of snow, specifically going home. My route is 10km on pathway and 10km on the road, up Home Road -> through Varsity -> SilverSprings -> Up through ArbourLake. Mixing it up with cars and sometimes having to take unplowed sidewalks ain't fun. For those days, i'll just work from home.

My Ride
    07 997TT

i bought those $69 mec's and haven't put them on yet. will probably do it tonight and make a call tmw morning when I wake up if i'll ride.
    My fingers get damn cold when it drops to -9 or worse. I'm debating those heated gloves from power in motion which my buddy who rides all winter swear by.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

On days like today when the snow is still really loose, I can totally see why people ride fat bikes. It would be so fun to just go plowing through the snow.

For me, -30'ish with windchill. I find as long as my feet and hands are warm, I can deal with the cold.
    I ignore the windchill quoted temps. If you have proper gear windchill doesn't matter.
    I will bike commute to -20C, any colder than that and I will run commute instead. I generate more heat running so go that route on cold days.

Fat bike is fun for the few days a year we have loose and unplowed snow. Otherwise I'm on the CX bike.

My Ride
    07 997TT

Holy fk can’t even get one of these Fkn tires on. It’s like bent out of shape and can’t get the tube inside
    Fawk

My Ride
    07 997TT

Finally get 1 tire on. Fkn warped as hell then inflate to 60 psi and tube pops. Not my night

Reading the mec reviews seems like other ppl had “fun” trying to get these on.
    Last edited by 997TT; 11-02-2017 at 08:43 PM.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Which tires are these? The Schwalbe marathons?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Last year I had a hell of a time trying to get my studded tires on. It didn't help that I tried wrestling them on with my bare hands. This year I had tire levers. So much easier and painless haha

Man today's ride back was a little scary on roads where the snow was a mix of tightly compacted and powdery. I surprised myself with how well my balance was. I was so sure I was going to take a dive a few times.

My Ride
    07 997TT

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5039-6...winter%20tireS

Not the marathons but similar. Think the marathons have extra set of studs on the outside.
    The tires I got were so warped. More oval than round and parts of the sidewalk touch each other and were severely bent. Took me an hour to get 2 tires on incl blowing the tube. Haha. Will ride tmw.... if u don’t hear from me again assume I’m in a ditch

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Last year I had a hell of a time trying to get my studded tires on. It didn't help that I tried wrestling them on with my bare hands. This year I had tire levers. So much easier and painless haha

Man today's ride back was a little scary on roads where the snow was a mix of tightly compacted and powdery. I surprised myself with how well my balance was. I was so sure I was going to take a dive a few times.
    Well glad it wasn’t just me, found my studs were also hell to put on.

Ya the roads sucked. I gave up on the bike lane/shoulder/mucky mess on 11 St SE and just took the lane.. feel like people think you’re fully crazy biking in these temps so no one will mess with you. The pathways were much better except where they had not cleared but people had walked. Bumpy icy mix..

My Ride
    07 997TT

Decided to puss out and drive. Grid locked rfn. Saw 2 bikers. #respect

My Ride
    rally pig

+1
    getting a Kool Stop Tire Jack has made my life easier when putting in new tires
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001AYML7K

jealous of you guys riding out there, getting bored riding on a trainer even while watching netflix lol

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah didn't ride in today. The roads around the office were tough enough to ride on at the end of the day yesterday, but with the added snowfall over night and the fact there's no way they'd be plowed this morning, today would have been worse. Looks like I made the right call cause they were difficult to even walk on, forget about trying to pedal on two wheels.

Not gonna lie: I did play around with the idea of getting a cheap fat bike last night though

My Ride
    '14 Taco

ya i wussed as well..too much snow on 11 st when i drove in this morning..would have been 'exciting'. Not having a separated bike lane there and watching idiots drive makes me a tad nervous that i'm gonna get slid into... at least they'll have the weekend to clear all the routes and then monday will be solid!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Not having a separated bike lane there and watching idiots drive makes me a tad nervous that i'm gonna get slid into... at least they'll have the weekend to clear all the routes and then monday will be solid!
    I have this terrifying fear of slipping slide ways, my head landing on the pavement, and getting rolled over with a car tire

But yeah, looks like it's gonna stop snowing after today and next week's forecast is showing to be all clear (so far).

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

The reviews are good and the price is right haha

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sc...-0711653p.html

My Ride
    Hybrid

Wussed out the last 2 days and hit the trainer instead. Will I die out there without studs? I'm too cheap to pay $70/tire and they're still out of stock at Chain Reaction.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Page 39 of 93 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast