Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Well, wasn't super fun in that headwind. Still quick! Ride home is gonna be flying if that wind is still going
    Kicked ass today. Tailwind is a gem! Was averaging ~32 home, did it in 24:4
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    '14 Subaru Impreza

Originally posted by lilmira
    It's the stop and go that's gonna kill your time. It takes me a bit over an hour from Royal Oak to Manchester, 28k about 3/4 of it on pathway with little stops. If you don't have to stop for lights and stuff, 21k in an hour is very doable. It does look like you have to go through a lot of intersections though.

I occasionally go from Auburn to 16 Ave/Edmonton Trail. It's about 29k and it takes me about 1 hour and 10 mins. I only have about 5 or 6 lights to go through at the very start of the ride, and that can easily add 5-10 mins if you hit all the reds. From there though, it's 100% pathways and smooth sailing.

Sometimes it might be worth it to tack on a few extra km's if it's on the pathway. Less stop and go and much less likely to get smoked by a car.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by JVR1
    hey all,

planning on cycling to work hopefully a couple times a week starting in april. start location is evergreen and ending in downtown by the bow.

found this route off youtube and looking for suggestions on alternate (faster/safer) routes in case someone goes a similar direction

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...amp;dg=feature
    I pretty much do that same route a couple times each summer but to Bridlewood and it takes about 1.5 hours. It's a pretty easy ride, minus the incline at Elboya. If you want a slightly longer but funner ride, take a detour through Weaselhead.

Originally posted by lilmira
    It's the stop and go that's gonna kill your time. It takes me a bit over an hour from Royal Oak to Manchester, 28k about 3/4 of it on pathway with little stops. If you don't have to stop for lights and stuff, 21k in an hour is very doable. It does look like you have to go through a lot of intersections though.
    Yeah expect to be stopping at Heritage, Southland, and Anderson as well as every other intersection downtown.

My Ride
    Wankels!

hey all,

planning on cycling to work hopefully a couple times a week starting in april. start location is evergreen and ending in downtown by the bow.

found this route off youtube and looking for suggestions on alternate (faster/safer) routes in case someone goes a similar direction

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...amp;dg=feature
    Could do the scenic route also - Fishcreek to the bikepath along 37th Street. Cross Anderson and continue on the bikepath that goes North to Glenmore Reservoir. Go through Weaselhead (longer route) West or past Heritage Park East and then connect to the Elbow River Pathway. I'd certainly recommend going one of those routes on the way home for a scenic/relaxing bike commute after work!

ps: Weaselhead is pretty well clear of snow now even in the super shitty icy section.

edit: another nice route to bike home on is going east out of downtown through inglewood on the Bow River Pathway. Follow that all the way into Fish Creek Park and head west all the way to Evergreen.
    Last edited by Penguin_Racecar; 03-29-2016 at 10:12 AM.

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

thanks everyone for the suggestions. already dreading the death by 1000 stoplights but i like the idea of weaselhead on the way home to unwind.

My Ride
    Wankels!

thanks everyone for the suggestions. already dreading the death by 1000 stoplights but i like the idea of weaselhead on the way home to unwind.
    You won't regret it. If it's clear you get a fantastic view of the mountains also.
    Bow river pathway to Fish Creek is a sweet ride also. I would take that route if there isn't a lot of wind from the West due to not having as much shelter in the Fish Creek valley.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
    ps: Weaselhead is pretty well clear of snow now even in the super shitty icy section.
    I rode it last week and there is a stretch that is still entirely covered in snow, between the sharp turn and the incline to/decline from South Glenmore Park. Everyone was getting off their bikes because it was so slippery.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/50.98...a=!4m2!4m1!3e1

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Impressed with how much the new bike has helped (as well as fitness level). Dropped to 27.5 (down 3-5 minutes from the start of the month) on the way in this morning, no wind to speak of. Goal is a 25 minute average

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Nice JTS at a good price just got posted if anyone's looking

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-bike/ca...oss/1153805499

Looking to get a bike to start riding to work. Just going to go with something used until I prove to myself that I will stick with it so need some advice. I'm 6'1" so I should be getting something in the 58-63 cm range?

What's a good starter brand/model I should be looking at?

Thoughts on this? I really have no idea what I should be looking for.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/cal...ike/1153530027
    Last edited by roopi; 04-05-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Originally posted by roopi
    Looking to get a bike to start riding to work. Just going to go with something used until I prove to myself that I will stick with it so need some advice. I'm 6'1" so I should be getting something in the 58-63 cm range?

What's a good starter brand/model I should be looking at?

Thoughts on this? I really have no idea what I should be looking for.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/cal...ike/1153530027
    Ya that's about the size range you'd be in. A 60 cm would probly be optimum and depending on the frame you could go a size up or down from there, so 58cm or 62cm. Also depends on your leg length for your height as well.

Stay away from the cheap brands like Infiniti, Kuwahara etc... just do some research on the potential bikes you're looking at first, obviously.

The one you posted is a perfect bike to start with it's very versatile. This bike says it's an XL which is pretty general so you might want to measure it for yourself by measuring from the top of the seat tube to the middle of the bottom bracket or the crank arm bolt.

Originally posted by Moonracer

Ya that's about the size range you'd be in. A 60 cm would probly be optimum and depending on the frame you could go a size up or down from there, so 58cm or 62cm. Also depends on your leg length for your height as well.

Stay away from the cheap brands like Infiniti, Kuwahara etc... just do some research on the potential bikes you're looking at first, obviously.

The one you posted is a perfect bike to start with it's very versatile. This bike says it's an XL which is pretty general so you might want to measure it for yourself by measuring from the top of the seat tube to the middle of the bottom bracket or the crank arm bolt.
    No way at 6'1" you should look at a 60cm. I'd recommend 56/58 and no bigger.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by bigboom

Agree. I'm 6'0 and ride a 56.

Originally posted by Moonracer

his bike says it's an XL which is pretty general so you might want to measure it for yourself by measuring from the top of the seat tube to the middle of the bottom bracket or the crank arm bolt.

Originally posted by bigboom

Originally posted by CLiVE

Agree. I'm 6'0 and ride a 56.

Confirmed with seller that the bike is 58cm.

Thanks for the info. If any one sees a good starter for sale less then $800.00 please let me know.

Well like I said it varies. I'm 5'10" and generally best fit for me is a 56cm I have a couple 54cm and I also ride one that is a 58cm and it's a perfect fit.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

So i go out and buy a Rove..girlfriend gets bike envy and ends up with a Scott Contessa Speedster...now i have bike envy..

This could go poorly

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Did she one up you? I think those are nice bikes.

Roves are awesome do anything bikes. I have the ti one and it does everything, raced cx on it for a year, commute on it, gravel ride with it, bomb through bowmont on it. No need to have bike envy.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

The contessa is just a sweet bike. No worries bout the rove, really enjoy it

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/cal...ationFlag=true

No pictures but might be worth checking into for one of you.

Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast