Quantcast
The Bicycling Thread - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 94 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling Thread

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Having a bike computer makes a pretty big difference as i've been trying to keep my average at 30.0 kmh
    Garmin 520 + custom strava live segment for your commute

I've never hated stop lights more than watching that "time behind PR" counter increase

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Biking the pass from the Highwood house side tomorrow..hope the weather shapes up

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Pass from the Longview side was fun, got to 70 km/hr on the way down. Probably could have done faster but was pretty tired by the end. Quite the weather on Saturday, from boiling sun to snow and rain. Glad I brought the goretex, and didn't turn around. Ran into a couple groups that told us we were dumb to continue, to have the weather clear up 5 minutes later and be clear at the top..

Definitely would do it again. Don't know if I could do the whole 115 out and back!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Hit 1000km yesterday! Pretty good since I got the bike at the end of March!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Hit 1000km yesterday! Pretty good since I got the bike at the end of March!
    Nice! I hit 1000km this morning! Gotta rack up the KMs before I leave for vacation for 10 days at the end of the month.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

down another 30 seconds..fastest ride in at 22 minutes. Averaged 30.4 according to bike computer, 29.9 on strava

Realized if i want to break the 20 mark i have to average 33 km/hr ..yikes

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

nice work.. been slacking lately because of the constant thunderstorm warnings and not having adequate outerwear.

tired of giving myself excuses so i took a trip over to MEC at lunch and grabbed a proper rain jacket to tackle the weather predicted for next week. gotta get some seat time in before it all goes to shit during stampede.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Not sure wtf is going on with my tubes. Popped a front one a couple weeks back, then the back one the next day. Both of which happened when not riding. Figured it was over inflation (tire says max of 80 PSI, i put it at 80). Another flat today on the back tire when not riding... Inflated them this morning and went to 75PSI to be safe.. Guess we'll see when i pull it apart before the commute if its in the same spot.

Getting old.

My Ride
    rally pig

for July, August and hopefully September I decided not to get a monthly bus pass and will try to ride my bike to work as much as I can.
    seriously hoping that next year I can get a road bike

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

So I think I'm going to keep riding to work throughout the winter so long as the paths aren't frozen over or the weather isn't really foul. For you year round cyclists, any tips? Particularly with keeping warm without getting too hot.

Can I expect the paths along the river to be pretty decent for winter riding? Or do they get pretty iced over?

I've already picked up a cheap hybrid beater and have put fenders on it this week.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Looks like this thread on Reddit's got a lot of the basics covered if anyone else was looking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...cling_calgary/

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 12-31-2016 at 12:29 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Looks like this thread on Reddit's got a lot of the basics covered if anyone else was looking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...cling_calgary/
    be curious to hear how it goes for you next year.
    i'll keep riding my bike in the morning until snow comes

btw looks like eurotech is closing now?
    http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/cal...ampaign=buffer
    i wonder if some items will go on sale

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by codetrap
    The last winter I ran, I typically used fleece under goretex bib, then a fleece/gortex shell. Gloves I went with 5 finger with removable liners. Used a snowboarding helmet that was insulated, and often wore ski goggles with one of those face liners. No skin exposed at all on the really cold days.
    Yeah I considered a snowboarding helmet too, but I'll see how the regular helmet will go first. I'll be using my balaclava on the really cold days.

Originally posted by codetrap
    I saw that Bow cycle had a huge selection of studded tires. Would totally recommend trying them out or some sort of wire chain mesh. I didn't have any and it got hairy at times.
    Were you on road or paths? From that reddit link, people are suggesting that if I'm on the paths, I should be okay without needing studded tires.

Originally posted by taemo

be curious to hear how it goes for you next year.
    i'll keep riding my bike in the morning until snow comes

btw looks like eurotech is closing now?
    http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/cal...ampaign=buffer
    i wonder if some items will go on sale

I've never been to Eurotech. I should go check it out.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

shit and im having problems being motivated to do it when its +1 out in the morning!

shit and im having problems being motivated to do it when its +1 out in the morning!
    Haha, wait till mid December, biking in at 7am or biking home at 5pm and it's pitch black and bitterly cold is utterly demoralizing.

For biking through the winter in the cheap:
    * use ziplock bags, cut in half so it covers your toes and slip over socks, these protect your does from the wind. In a pinch you could also use grocery bags to cover your shoes from wet snow. Usually good down to -10/-15.
    * Use cereal box and cut out to cover the inside of your helmet. Only cover the front and top holes, leave the rear uncovered to allow ventilation. Use duck tape to hold everything in place, you'd be surprised at how effective this is on blocking the wind.

If your planning to cycle through the winter months I recommend the following:
    * UnderArmor winter base layer pants and long sleeve shirts; These go from a rating of 1 to 4. 4 being the heavier and extreme weather. No need for multiple base layers.

* SoftShell Gore cycling Jacket and Pants; water resistant, wind proof and breathable. Mine's lasted 10+ yrs and have cycled down to -35. Amazing how well it blocks the wind chills.

*45nrth Wolvhammer boots. The fact that you can wear regular socks down to -30 make these boots well worth it.

*45nrth Lobster gloves, you can only wear these when it gets down to -20 b/c they don't breath very well, but wind and water proof.

*45nrth Lung Cookies. these do a great job protecting you face and neck from the cold. They have great ventilation for your mouth/nose so your goggles don't fog up.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I used to feel that way, but now I actually find the cold air in the lungs really refreshing in the mornings while my heartrate keeps my body temp up.

Originally posted by Joel_D

Haha, wait till mid December, biking in at 7am or biking home at 5pm and it's pitch black and bitterly cold is utterly demoralizing.

For biking through the winter in the cheap:
    * use ziplock bags, cut in half so it covers your toes and slip over socks, these protect your does from the wind. In a pinch you could also use grocery bags to cover your shoes from wet snow. Usually good down to -10/-15.
    * Use cereal box and cut out to cover the inside of your helmet. Only cover the front and top holes, leave the rear uncovered to allow ventilation. Use duck tape to hold everything in place, you'd be surprised at how effective this is on blocking the wind.

If your planning to cycle through the winter months I recommend the following:
    * UnderArmor winter base layer pants and long sleeve shirts; These go from a rating of 1 to 4. 4 being the heavier and extreme weather. No need for multiple base layers.

* SoftShell Gore cycling Jacket and Pants; water resistant, wind proof and breathable. Mine's lasted 10+ yrs and have cycled down to -35. Amazing how well it blocks the wind chills.

*45nrth Wolvhammer boots. The fact that you can wear regular socks down to -30 make these boots well worth it.

*45nrth Lobster gloves, you can only wear these when it gets down to -20 b/c they don't breath very well, but wind and water proof.

*45nrth Lung Cookies. these do a great job protecting you face and neck from the cold. They have great ventilation for your mouth/nose so your goggles don't fog up.
    Haha love the ghetto suggestions but I can't imagine the looks I'd get walking into the office with plastic bags around my feet and cereal boxes on my head I've actually been using UnderArmour compression tights underneath old track pants on colder mornings and it's been working really well so far. Those Lung Cookies look pretty interesting, since I'm looking for something to cover my face with ventilation.

Was pretty chilly this morning. I've been using the mec early bird beanie and it's worked to keep my head warm, but a bit sweaty when I get to work. That's ok though since I have showers and my head gets pretty cold riding the ebike. I've tried the balaclava and I find that it tends to fog up my glasses, so I'll be trying out the beard ski when it gets a bit colder. Otherwise, I've been using a neck warmer and just covering my mouth. Glasses still get all fogged up when I have to stop for the train though. Also looking for over goggles since I find the wind whipping by my eyes really makes them tear up and then freeze.
    For clothing, I've been going with a shirt, a vest and arm sleeves under a rain jacket. A little chilly starting out and not helped by it being all down hill right after I leave my door, but warms up once I get some blood pumping. So far I'm still ok with shorts, but I have leg warmers or a full set of tights when it gets a bit colder. Feet have been ok with just runner so far, but will go to boots as the temps drop.
    Also ordered a set of schwalbe marathon winters.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Think i'll get these for the winter, layer with a merino pant..though i expect i'll be picking and choosing which days i ride

http://www.outdoorresearch.ca/ca_en/...view/id/64319/

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I found:

- a snowboard helmet was well worth the money once it gets really cold.
    - some nice Pogies and medium weight gloves worked well for me.
    - 700x30 studded tires worked best in all conditions
    - Buy winter specific cycling shoes/boots or regular boots if you're using flats.
    - I clipped in last year, but I don't think it's a very smart thing to do in retrospect, lol

Page 9 of 94 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast