Quantcast
Hail Damage Questions/Concerns - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hail Damage Questions/Concerns

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by lilmira
    That's my take as well. Just take the estimate to the shop. Here is the amount, here is the car, "can you do it?" "do you see any issues?" I don't have a lot of experience claiming insurance, of the three times that I did over the years (house and auto), I haven't had any problem with estimate being low. They may lowball you on write-off but there is no point to underestimate repairs.
    See I was checking my quote and they were charing only $70/hr which seems quite low compared to quotes when I had by bumper refinished.

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Whats the realistic worth of hail damage?

My 2008 ford escape limited fully loaded was written off. Trying to decide to take the full payout, or the lower amount and try and sell the car on Kijiji.

The amount to keep the car is $3100 less than the write off amount. Could I sell a $11,000 car for $5,000 with a ton of hail damage?
    I would say so if otherwise the condition is still decent and depending how much hail damage ie no glass damage.

I am looking at the same now. I figure my car is worth $20-22, once it is repaired I would say only $17-19 maybe. I might as well take the $10k and then maybe take it to Eco/DNT and get some dings removed for maybe a few thousand and then just drive it a couple more years until it is easier to sell.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by schocker

See I was checking my quote and they were charing only $70/hr which seems quite low compared to quotes when I had by bumper refinished.
    I think both the shop guy and the adjuster were there when I got my estimate done. There is no reason for the shop to underestimate because if the repair is not done right, it's likely that the customer will be screaming and the shop will be on the hook for the fix again. What do I know about their rate if they are ok with it. I'll ask DNT the same thing when I go through the repair with them before the repair starts. I'll find out soon enough.

My Ride
    MK7

Whats the realistic worth of hail damage?

My 2008 ford escape limited fully loaded was written off. Trying to decide to take the full payout, or the lower amount and try and sell the car on Kijiji.

The amount to keep the car is $3100 less than the write off amount. Could I sell a $11,000 car for $5,000 with a ton of hail damage?
    I'm in the same spot right now. If my car is worth $17-19k (similar km, options, year) without hail damage, could I get $10-13k for it with unrepaired hail damage?
    Last edited by b.rock1; 08-28-2015 at 11:00 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's not always about how much your car is worth is hail damage, but about how tough it'll be to unload at any price. There are some folks who would never buy a hail damaged car, regardless of price. So your market is actually much smaller than it used to be.

Kind of like a rebuilt title, logic dictates that it should be easy to sell at the right price, but in reality, folks really avoid this type of car.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    It's not always about how much your car is worth is hail damage, but about how tough it'll be to unload at any price. There are some folks who would never buy a hail damaged car, regardless of price. So your market is actually much smaller than it used to be.

Kind of like a rebuilt title, logic dictates that it should be easy to sell at the right price, but in reality, folks really avoid this type of car.
    I don't think hail would fall under the same category as a rebuilt car, hail is purely cosmetic so there's no worries about how the vehicle was repaired, it also retains factory warranty. Rebuilt title makes people worry about mechanical and structural issues and how they were repaired, and the vehicle no longer gets any warranty coverage.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm with ExtraSlow on that though, most people will think it's "tainted" and stay away
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    MK7

Quick update: threw the car up on Kijiji and AutoTrader for $14k (very, very optimistic I know) just to see, and have had quite a few people e-mail me so far. Few people coming to look at it over the next week or so - assuming they make a reasonable offer I may actually find a way out of this mess. If it doesn't sell, I have a dimpled car that works just fine and an extra $12,000 dollars

My Ride
    Grimace

Yah, that would definitely be a good option out.

I called ECO and they figured it would take too much work to fix so now I am torn. I could just drive it and pocket the money and have it look goofy up close or I might just get mine fixed and put it up for sale right away. Not many TSX for sale currently, but mine still has 2yr warranty, separate winter wheels so I can hopefully offset the repaired value drop.

My Ride
    MK7

Originally posted by schocker
    Yah, that would definitely be a good option out.

I called ECO and they figured it would take too much work to fix so now I am torn. I could just drive it and pocket the money and have it look goofy up close or I might just get mine fixed and put it up for sale right away. Not many TSX for sale currently, but mine still has 2yr warranty, separate winter wheels so I can hopefully offset the repaired value drop.
    Ugh that's a bummer. Honestly, after a couple weeks I hardly notice the damage anymore. It is a different story with your TSX for sure though, it isn't a compact/econobox like mine is.

Just spoke to insurance, and taking the cash settlement just removes my hail coverage and doesn't modify my policy in any other way.

Thinking if the car doesn't sell I'll throw a roof box on it (to cover the damaged roof), some rallyarmor flaps and turn it into the ultimate winter/snowboarding/mountain driving beater.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Hondas

I am in a similar situation.. Got hail damage on my car Aug 4th during the storm.

Got the appraisal done through an Intact appraiser as required. Although it's not as bad as the OP's damage, the estimate came out to be $4134.08 with only PDR repairs. My car's an 08 civic si with 171k km.

Haven't decided whether to get the damage fixed or take the cash settlement. I've talked with my adjuster and he explained to me that the settlement would be the estimate, subtract deductible ($250), subtract GST ($196.86), AND subtract 20% of the labour cost on the estimate. This leaves me with a $2899.73 cash settlement if I decide not to fix it.

Judging by the posts above, it seems insurance just takes off your deductible amount and pays out the rest of the estimate. Is this normal for them to do this in my scenario? and is there anyway I can negotiate this amount?

My Ride
    MK7

Originally posted by speeed
    I am in a similar situation.. Got hail damage on my car Aug 4th during the storm.

Got the appraisal done through an Intact appraiser as required. Although it's not as bad as the OP's damage, the estimate came out to be $4134.08 with only PDR repairs. My car's an 08 civic si with 171k km.

Haven't decided whether to get the damage fixed or take the cash settlement. I've talked with my adjuster and he explained to me that the settlement would be the estimate, subtract deductible ($250), subtract GST ($196.86), AND subtract 20% of the labour cost on the estimate. This leaves me with a $2899.73 cash settlement if I decide not to fix it.

Judging by the posts above, it seems insurance just takes off your deductible amount and pays out the rest of the estimate. Is this normal for them to do this in my scenario? and is there anyway I can negotiate this amount?
    That's a bummer. I'm sure each company has a different policy but when it comes to insurance I think most things are negotiable. I don't think you would lose anything if you try.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Well I just got my estimate from Know How Systems for $11,300 to repair my car.

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5 with 140,000 km's.

I suspect the value of my car is 14k to 18k (hard to tell as the prices on kijiji are all over the place)......so the $11,300 repair might write the car off.

I'm with TDMM.

I haven't spoken with the claims adjuster yet, I only have the repair estimate.

Any thoughts on what my options might be so I can be prepared?

I would love to keep the car, keep the damage and get some type of cash payout and continue driving it as a daily family vehicle. Maybe put a roof box on to hide the roof damage and wait for a hood to become availbe via "pick your part".

Writeoff wouldn't be ideal as I've read too many stories of being underpaid for the car.

Fixing it would be ok, but I would much rather have a decent cash payout and live with the damage.

any thoughts?

Originally posted by Pacman

I suspect the value of my car is 14k to 18k (hard to tell as the prices on kijiji are all over the place)......so the $11,300 repair might write the car off.

I'm with TDMM.

I would love to keep the car, keep the damage and get some type of cash payout and continue driving it as a daily family vehicle. Maybe put a roof box on to hide the roof damage and wait for a hood to become availbe via "pick your part".

Writeoff wouldn't be ideal as I've read too many stories of being underpaid for the car.

Fixing it would be ok, but I would much rather have a decent cash payout and live with the damage.

any thoughts?
    that should be a write off based on the repair cost vs value of the vehicle. TDMM was really good when it came to write off value. My mom's car was written off due to an accident that caused frame damage, and the adjuster pretty much told me to check kijiji/auto trader, and find 3 examples that supported a price I was looking for and that was that. Painless.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Got my estimate too. $5500 on my 2013 toyota highlander. Its getting repaired over this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Originally posted by Pacman

I'm with TDMM.

any thoughts?
    Just wrote off my car with TDMM. They value your catr based on listed/sold prices from local dealers and Auto trader. They sent me what they compared mine to. There were about 12 of the same vehicle listed, what it sold for, how many KM's and how they use that amount to calculate what my car was worth. For the record they offered me more that what I thought I would get.

The other option if its deemed a total loss is to get paid out. So you would get the amount of the write off minus the salvage amount (about $3100 on my $11,800 vehicle).

They told me they would only supply third party insurance on my vehicle if I went that way though.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Just wrote off my car with TDMM. They value your catr based on listed/sold prices from local dealers and Auto trader. They sent me what they compared mine to. There were about 12 of the same vehicle listed, what it sold for, how many KM's and how they use that amount to calculate what my car was worth. For the record they offered me more that what I thought I would get.

The other option if its deemed a total loss is to get paid out. So you would get the amount of the write off minus the salvage amount (about $3100 on my $11,800 vehicle).

They told me they would only supply third party insurance on my vehicle if I went that way though.
    This is good information to know.

So, with your example, you could have bought your car back for the salvage value and then only had 3rd party coverage on it?

Any idea what would happen if you fully disclosed the hail damage on the car and then tried to insure it with another company? Would you get full comprehensive (minus hail protection) on the car?

I would love to keep this car as it's excellent with the exception of the hail damage.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by lint

that should be a write off based on the repair cost vs value of the vehicle. TDMM was really good when it came to write off value. My mom's car was written off due to an accident that caused frame damage, and the adjuster pretty much told me to check kijiji/auto trader, and find 3 examples that supported a price I was looking for and that was that. Painless.
    Good to know they are fair and reasonable. In my case, I really want to keep the car if I can pocket some money. It's a great, reliable daily family hauler.

I was hoping to get a call from the agent today, but haven't heard anything yet.

The odd thing is, I got an email from the KHS dent repair giving me the estimate and then asking if I wanted them to proceed with repairing the car. I'm not sure why they would do that as it seems like the damage is high enough to write the car off. I assumed approval would be needed from TDMM before the dent repair place could try to get me to agree to doing the repair.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I spoke with my TD adjuster. There is not enough damage for a writeoff, so I only have 2 options:

1) Take the car to Know How Systems and they fix it

2) I take the car to another repair shop of my choice and TD cuts a cheque for them to fix it.

She said there was no option for the $5,000 payout to me and she wasn't interested in discussing it.

Has anyone else had a higher repair estimate (mine was $11,300) and been offered the $5,000 payout?

It seems crazy that TD would rather payout $11,300 to repair the car vs paying me $5,000.

James

My Ride
    Grimace

Shouldn't they offer you the $11.3 minus deductible as a third option?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast