Quantcast
Experimenting with no tipping - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimenting with no tipping

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Experimenting with no tipping

How U.S. restaurants are experimenting with no-tipping policies to counter rising minimum wages

Patricia Cohen, The New York Times | August 25, 2015 | Last Updated: Aug 25 2:51 PM ET

SEATTLE • Restaurant owners, customers and staff have long railed against the tyranny of tipping, but like a love affair gone bad, it has proved difficult to quit. Now, prompted by a spurt of new minimum wage proposals in major cities, an expanding number of restaurateurs are experimenting with no-tipping policies as a way to manage rising labour costs.

Here in Seattle, where the first stage of a US$15-an-hour minimum wage law took effect in April, Ivar’s seafood restaurants switched to an all-inclusive menu. By raising prices 21 per cent and ending tipping, Bob C. Donegan, president and co-owner, calculated he could increase everyone’s wages.

“We saw there was a fundamental inequity in our restaurants where the people who worked in the kitchen were paid about half as much as the people who worked with customers in front of the house,” Donegan said.

Nearby, the Walrus and the Carpenter instituted a compulsory 20 per cent service charge. At Manos Nouveau and Sous Beurre, both in San Francisco, the menu prices include tips and taxes. Dirt Candy, an upscale eatery in New York, tacks on a 20 per cent administrative fee.

Amanda Cohen, the owner of Dirt Candy, said she had fielded a flood of phone calls from other restaurants asking how her no-tipping policy was working.

“I think that restaurants will have to do this,” said Cohen, who pays servers at Dirt Candy US$25 an hour, well above the US$7.50 for tipped workers that will go into effect in New York at the end of the year. “How else do you compensate for this extra money you’ll have to pay?”

Like many owners, Cohen has long wanted to close the yawning earnings gap between those who prepare the food and those who serve it. Tips are not shared with the kitchen staff, whereas the revenue from certain types of surcharges and higher menu prices can be distributed to everyone.

Restaurateurs tick off a long list of reasons for being drawn to the idea. In some cities like New York, where tipping is subject to a confusing welter of federal, state and local regulations and tax laws, eliminating it would simplify bookkeeping. Managers say it would also allow them to better calibrate wages to reward employees based on the length of their service and the complexity of their jobs.

Several also cited research showing that diners tend to tip black servers less and that the system can encourage sexual harassment of women.
    Still, many fear a backlash from their customers and servers.

Although mandatory service charges are common around the globe, restaurant tipping is deeply ingrained in the American psyche. Owners worry that potential diners will see significantly higher prices without realizing that they include gratuities. Restaurateurs also worry their best servers will leave.

“The tipped culture is still what draws many people into our industry,” said Christin Fernandez, a spokeswoman at the National Restaurant Association. While the association estimates that the median hourly earnings for tipped servers are between US$16 and US$22, waiters at high-end restaurants can earn much more.

Chelsea Krumpler, a waitress at Manos Nouveau in San Francisco, said many waiters she knows were skeptical of her US$25-an-hour wage and no tips. But she says she is earning as much as before with no worries about slow nights.

“It’s a little more secure,” said Krumpler, who has worked as a waitress for seven years. The policy has also drawn the staff closer together. “It’s more of a family,” she said.

Although the no-tipping idea is generating a lot of discussion, the number of restaurants that have signed on is still tiny, and they tend to cluster near the higher end of the price spectrum.

Most are adopting a wait-and-see attitude.

“We don’t want to jump on the trend,” said Akop Paronyan, general manager of E&O Kitchen and Bar in San Francisco.

With further mandated wage increases scheduled, Paronyan said the restaurant does need to be prepared. He is researching a hybrid model, where guests might be charged a mandatory 10 per cent service charge and then encouraged to add a 5 to 10 per cent gratuity.

Brian Keyser, the owner of Casellula restaurant in midtown Manhattan, would prefer to end tipping but does not think his staff or his diners are ready to accept it.

Now he must contend with a minimum wage for tipped workers that is rising in New York. That means giving his servers a US$2.50-an-hour raise – even if they are already pulling in about US$25 an hour in tips. “I have a kitchen full of people making far, far less than that and I would love to give them that money, but I can’t,” Keyser said.

It’s about perception… It’s not just about the dollars you’re spending, but what you think you’re spending
    For many industry veterans, the business model is changing at such a rapid clip that they are not certain how to respond.

When Daniel Patterson first started working as a chef in the early 1980s, he said, labour used to account for about a third of total costs, and owners could enjoy a 10 to 20 per cent profit. Now, as a partner in five San Francisco Bay Area restaurants, Patterson says labour costs eat up about 40 to 45 per cent of the budget. At the same time, rent costs are skyrocketing.

“Even a good restaurant doing a lot of business that’s popular on every level, is bringing 2 per cent or 1.5 per cent to the bottom line,” he said. “It’s like a not-for-profit.”

Coi, Patterson’s two-Michelin-star restaurant, has had all-inclusive pricing since it opened in 2006. He tried the same strategy when he opened Aster in the Mission District a few months ago, and quickly realized it was not going to work.

“I really believe in that model, but our customers didn’t want it,” Patterson said, because they thought it was too expensive. “It’s about perception,” he said. “It’s not just about the dollars you’re spending, but what you think you’re spending.”

The next phase of the minimum wage increase in Seattle is pushing Brian Canlis, a co-owner of the upscale Canlis restaurant, to consider a pricing system that includes tips for 2016.

“I’ve got to have a hierarchy of pay,” Canlis said. He employs 96 workers to serve six meals a week. If the dishwasher earns US$15 an hour, then the line cook needs to earn at least US$18, he said. And then what about the sous chef, and the waiters? “There’s a cascading effect,” he said.

At the Walrus and the Carpenter, owner Renee Erickson has been adjusting her no-tipping experiment. Although she originally wanted to adopt an all-inclusive menu, she “worried we weren’t going to have the opportunity to explain why our prices were so much higher than the restaurant right next door.”

Instead, she added an 18 per cent service charge. But it did not generate enough money to cover the added labor costs. So she bumped the charge up to 20 per cent and shrank the owners’ share.

As the weeks went by, she and her partner kept adjusting the per centage that went to the kitchen workers. To get the staff on board, she decided to let everyone see the payroll spreadsheets, so they could understand how the money was being allocated.

“We’ve gotten a lot of great support and feedback,” she said. And at two new restaurants Erickson is opening, there will also be no tips.

At Ivar’s, eliminating tipping has been a success, said Donegan, the chief executive – thanks in part to the summer tourist season and a booming economy. Since the policy went into effect four months ago, wages have risen between US$3 and US$12 an hour, he said, with the lowest-paid worker earning US$15 an hour. Everyone, including part-timers, has health insurance and a 401(k) retirement plan.

The No. 1 complaint from customers? The prohibition on tips. So while the menu still states that prices include service, the credit card slips now have a line that reads: “If you INSIST on leaving a tip, write it here.”
    Source: http://business.financialpost.com/ne...-minimum-wages
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

If the dishwasher earns US$15 an hour, then the line cook needs to earn at least US$18, he said. And then what about the sous chef, and the waiters? “There’s a cascading effect,” he said.
    I have said that many times. Raise one. Raise all.

As for tipping, let's see how it plays out. It's one of those things where everyone has to be on board or else the public is going to be confused as fuck. Or post a sign on the door, no tipping lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

More clarity and consistency for both the customers and the employees, what's not to like? I don't get why people are so hung-up on tipping, fair wages can exist without tipping.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Because in North America we have this idea that no tipping means no service. And people experiencing mediocre service already and do tip think it'll go further downhill. In North America, I honestly think that is correct because there is an entitlement issue of deserving tips because they get paid minimum wage.

It's just how NA is. No tipping is better for everyone. Servers/cooks/cleaners get a predictable and fair wage, the customer sees the final price and accurate taxes are collected. You run a high-end restaurant and want the proper staff to fit that establishment? Sorry but you're going to have to pay them more than minimum wage because they have the experience and talent to properly represent the business you want to run.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by msommers
    Because in North America we have this idea that no tipping means no service. And people experiencing mediocre service already and do tip think it'll go further downhill. In North America, I honestly think that is correct because there is an entitlement issue of deserving tips because they get paid minimum wage.
    Couldn't have said it better. My mom was a waitress for MANY MANY years and she worked her ass off and got paid GOOD tips for it. Nowadays it seems people are willing to put in minimal effort to be a server because they know regardless they will get tipped fairly good by most people.

But I am of the opposite mindset and if you want a good tip from me you best be giving me good service. If I am getting horrid service your tip is going to seriously suck and perhaps even be insulting you. I have no issues giving 15-20% tip if I enjoyed my food and my service. But if you suck.. prepared to get 10% or less.

My Ride
    You Crazy

I tip 20 to 25%.

That's standard for me. I don;t need my shoes shined, or ass kissed to tip.

If you are too broke to tip, you are too broke to eat out.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Toma
    I tip 20 to 25%.

And do you tip the same if the service is bad?

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by firebane

And do you tip the same if the service is bad?
    If it's BAD, it dips to 15%. Or it might go up to 30%, depending on circumstance.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

If it's BAD, it dips to 15%. Or it might go up to 30%, depending on circumstance.
    See and I'm ok with that because you at least tip LESS if you get bad service. But even at 15% I don't think that is low enough but that depends on where your eating too.

My Ride
    Hatred

If it's bad I'd tip maybe half a percent, so they new that I know about tipping but shit tipped for the shit service.
    -U

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I would happily patronize a restaurant / pub that had higher menu prices but a no tipping policy. I hate that shit.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

what i don't get is when fast food places ask for tips. why??
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I tip 20 to 25%.

That's the inconsistency that I don't like. Nothing personal, you are willing to pay 20-25%, someone else is willing to pay 100%, so what now? You say, well you pay whatever you feel like to pay. Ok, then why complain about getting a small tip since you don't give me a clue on what your expectation is? Why don't you tell me what I should pay. You are offering a service, tell me the price.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by lilmira

That's the inconsistency that I don't like. Nothing personal, you are willing to pay 20-25%, someone else is willing to pay 100%, so what now? You say, well you pay whatever you feel like to pay. Ok, then why complain about getting a small tip since you don't give me a clue on what your expectation is? Why don't you tell me what I should pay. You are offering a service, tell me the price.
    I don't understand your point. But I believe standard is 15%, so you know the price.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Everyone's excuse is always "oh but if you don't tip they can hardly survive because they're paid so little"...my response to that is that I don't get a bonus at work just for showing up, and I get paid a Fuck of a lot less without my bonus than I do if I get it. If you're relying on something to be part of your income show up and work your ass off and you'll be rewarded. If a server gives a half assed effort I give a half assed tip. Nature of the beast. Same with hair dressers.

I'd be fine with paying more for a non tipping policy, but I think you'd get worse service because you're taking away the incentive to give great service.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I would happily patronize a restaurant / pub that had higher menu prices but a no tipping policy. I hate that shit.
    Tipping is one of the shitty outcomes of prohibition. I have zero interest in it.
    -U

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't run into truly poor service that often anymore. Maybe it's because I am careful about the places that I frequent. Anyway, I have given $1.00 tip on a dinner out for poor service, and back when they gave you the receipt to sign, I'd always write a short note.

That's tougher with the chip-cards these days, so you have to either be more confrontational about it, or just be uncommuncative.

Nearly all chain restaurants have an online survey to fill out, so that's a good way to give feedback at those places. Independent places, it's worth chatting with the server, or bartender, or manager. It doesn't take that long, and feedback is the only way a place can improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    You Crazy

I dunno, I tip my hair cutter about 20%, my guy that cuts my grass, my mani/pedi girl, when I get my car detailed, house cleaners etc.
    Last edited by Toma; 08-26-2015 at 12:43 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I don't understand your point. But I believe standard is 15%, so you know the price.
    Standard for what?

The standard should be "pay your employees enough to live", you of ALL people should be behind that.

I can't wait, I'm not tipping SHIT anymore for someone to grab me a god-damn beer out of a fridge at a restaurant or pub when minimum wage rises. Call me a cheap ass if you want, I don't mind

My Ride
    G6

I tip 20 to 25%.

You obviously never learned what tipping is for and how to do it as you're doing it wrong. Coming on here clueless and posting completely wrong advice isn't gonna help anyone else. Move along.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast