Quantcast
Bad Work Situation - What would beyond do? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Work Situation - What would beyond do?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Unhappy Bad Work Situation - What would beyond do?

So I have been having a really tough time lately with my job and the fact that i basically sit in a chair 35+ hours a week with little to no legitimate work to do. If i was my manager i would lay me off any day of the week. Heck I am just waiting for a meeting with HR on how much time i spend surfing beyond on my computer, but really i don't have much else to do.

In any normal circumstance I would have quit months ago as what I am doing is literally a waste of my and the companies time. But with the market the way it is i feel completely trapped.

Basically i feel like I am in a role with a company that is as least 30% overstaffed. With nowhere positive to go. Any work I do on my own initiative is dismissed and actively discouraged. The work that I am actually assigned to do is honestly actively dismissed by most members of the company, they just plain don't like my department. I sit in meetings where people say straight to my face that they are ignoring all of my recommendations to go with their gut feelings. Nice.

My boss is incapable of delegating tasks, he does everything himself because he doesn't trust anyone else to do them. I basically google things for him so he doesn't have to. Any work that I would like to do is instantly denied because I quite frankly have 0$ budget to gather any data, which isn't unreasonable right now. The worst part is i didn't even like the job when we were busy, i put up with it so i could try and learn a complicated role. I am not learning any more.

I have brought these issues up with my manager, VP, i have even sat down with the CEO about it. I have been promised for months a transfer that isn't even close to happening ( my manager doesn't even know a thing about it). I first mentioned that I need a change ASAP last December in my official performance review. However i see what my counterparts in other departments do and it doesn't look much better.

That's my job in a nutshell.

The flip side is I am well taken care of by the company. gold plated benefits, great cash and otherwise compensation, crazy numbers of days off, good vacation time. My boss is great about this as well, he basically doesn't have patience for department administration so he lets us do whatever we want re: vacation, appointments, lunches, etc.

If i was in the tail end of my career i could probably put up with this, but 2 years in i feel like i am burning through some of the most important years for learning and getting recognized. Heck i don't even think APEGA would accept what I am doing as legitimate engineering experience.

My wife has been in school for the last 2 years as well so my income was completely necessary in staying above water. She has a job now and is working full time though which i feel gives me options. She also thinks i should just quit because of how she sees it affecting me, she doesn't really think about the consequences of me not having a job but whatever.

There is also a possibility that my company wont even exist this time next year anyways, the nature of the patch right now.

Does anyone else in a similar role feel this way? Am I just out to lunch with my expectations of life during a downturn?

Should I just shut my mouth and ride the comfortable ship through the downturn and put up with how the job makes me feel? Because what i am doing makes me feel near constantly depressed and useless.

What kind of options do i realistically have?

Not looking for pity because i know i don't deserve it but maybe an outside opinion or two would be very helpful in sorting all the things swirling in my mind.

I also know a few of you have deducted where I work and what I do so I ask ( cant make anyone do anything ) you to keep that to yourself in the thread.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If I was you, I'd be working hard to build my network so that I had more options when the industry turns around.
    Fine tune that resume, meet new people, do some volunteering whatever.

You can't stay in a job you hate long term. It'll kill your morale and motivation and it'll also hurt your future job prospects. However, short term, It's worth using that as a stable place to upgrade yourself from.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I know the market is tight right now but can't you be applying for some of the positions that are available? If something comes up, great. If nothing does do what ExtraSlow is suggesting and build your network for when things do turn around.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    If I was you, I'd be working hard to build my network so that I had more options when the industry turns around.
    Fine tune that resume, meet new people, do some volunteering whatever.

You can't stay in a job you hate long term. It'll kill your morale and motivation and it'll also hurt your future job prospects. However, short term, It's worth using that as a stable place to upgrade yourself from.
    One thing i have considered is trying to get an application together for the Oct 1 deadline for the January start evening MBA. Give me something fulfilling to work on at least in my free time. But that's 3 years out form making a real change in my career.

Mostly i have been thinking of that out of frustration that there is no possible engineering solution to any of my companies real problems.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by cet
    I know the market is tight right now but can't you be applying for some of the positions that are available? If something comes up, great. If nothing does do what ExtraSlow is suggesting and build your network for when things do turn around.
    I have been looking for postings but as a 2 year EIT in a niche role. Its really tough to meet any requirements.

fact.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If you can put the time to use online somehow, I would stay. Just become a yes man and stick out the recession. Before I left my other company, we had weeks of down time where I was able to setup my business and do tons of research. I know the worst feeling for me is to be at my desk at 9am on a Monday with nothing to do for the rest of the week

It takes an attitude change though, which is hard to do if you've been in a place long enough and have put in tons of effort to get to where you are now.

My Ride
    FB6

From what I gather from your numerous posts, I think you work at a medium sized producer with a market cap that has dropped ~90% in the past year. You're an engineer, probably in production or development.

I think most engineers are bored right now at producers, there's only so many things you can suggest especially if you're stuck with a shitty property. I'm lucky in a sense that I still manage cash flow positive properties and can still suggest profitable small optimizations.

How well do you get along with other people in the integrated team? Why not take this time to chat with the geologists, landman, JV, and just learn about other aspects of the business? If not, at least chat up your immediate team and see if there are things you can learn or help out with. I've been sticking my nose into my production engineers work to see if I can help or at least provide a second opinion. The company I'm at is always trying to brainstorm ideas to cut costs or optimize things, and then applying them to all business units. Ideas like how you can get exemptions from the AER for certain calibration or testing frequencies, or dig into property taxes to make sure you're not overpaying for idle assets. My team has been all over the place, with everyone suggesting ideas and taking charge of implementing them.

Sorry for the long post, just my $0.02 on what we can all still do when there's no capital.
    Last edited by realazy; 08-27-2015 at 11:49 AM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I wouldn't recommend a change in career this year. Ride it out and laugh your way to the bank. Just keep quietly looking around for work, something may fall in your lap.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Yah I wouldn't suggest leaving your job as a 2 year EIT. Not in this market.

Can you elaborate on what you do?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you're getting paid to do nothing, spend that time doing some contract work on the side. Get paid twice. Not sure if that's possible from your field of work or not.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by rage2
    If you're getting paid to do nothing, spend that time doing some contract work on the side. Get paid twice. Not sure if that's possible from your field of work or not.
    Most likely a conflict of interest.

What is your actual position? Res, Prod, Dril, Compl, Fac, or are you even more specific than that?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Can you elaborate on what you do?
    My title is reservoir engineer working on special projects and play evaluations. My group reports directly to the president in a special arrangement due to my boss being a very old friend of his. Which is a big bone of contention among other engineers in the company. Not something i asked for btw. Before i started my role did not exist.

Definitely cannot moonlight, esp on company resources, ( against my contract) and I am not a professional engineer anyways so that's out.

Tried teaching myself German online through duolingo for a few weeks last winter to fill the time but IT has been cracking down on any media streaming ( including the 10 second audio clips they use).
    Last edited by killramos; 08-27-2015 at 12:04 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Contract work on the side almost certainly goes against his employment contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Just suck it up for now and the next few months. Unfortunate you are stuck in exploratory res right now - the closer to the wellhead you are the busier you stay in times like these. But when things pick back up you are in a good spot. In the mean time just scroll through pictures of your car to keep you happy

Of course you could do what I did when i made my first move from oilsands field position to producer in calgary - fire out ~ 200 resumes over 2 days

edit - youtube link didn't work
    Last edited by riander5; 08-27-2015 at 12:23 PM.

If you're getting paid and vacation days, stick with it for now. Keep applying elsewhere and if you get an offer, then quit.

In this market some work is better than no work. I know it's boring but hey it's money and pays the bills.

Maybe try to teach yourself other engineering skills? that may help build up your resume and you would look better when applying.

Good luck!

Stick with it for now man, especially if you have significant bills to pay (mortgage, cars, etc.)

I quit my job a while ago, I just wasn't happy with what I was doing but I kinda regret it. I'm still trying to figure out wtf to do with my life lol

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:30 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by killramos
    Definitely cannot moonlight, esp on company resources, ( against my contract) and I am not a professional engineer anyways so that's out.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Contract work on the side almost certainly goes against his employment contract.
    How about something that's unrelated to your line of work? Or is even that not allowed?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I'm in a similar situation like you, I honestly dread waking up in the morning to go to work especially when there is no work to do. Maybe consider taking evening classes, I did that during the winter and at least I had something to do at my desk. I bet it's harder when you have bills to pay (I still live at home so I can't relate) but just stick it out something good will come your way

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2

How about something that's unrelated to your line of work? Or is even that not allowed?
    I imagine thats a grey area. But here you are assuming I have relevant skills

Thanks alot for the advice guys. Will keep me from making a rash decision. I am going to try and keep my options open and my spirits up in the meantime. Keep moving forward.

The networking is a good idea. Keep up my coffees and lunches etc.

fact.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast