Quantcast
Questions about running a tab at a bar - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Questions about running a tab at a bar

Default Questions about running a tab at a bar

So, been to a couple places and wondered on the legality of "if you want to run a tab we need your credit card/drivers license". That or pay cash.
    If I'm in an establishment aren't I required to have my I'd on me and not the bar? As well, credit cards can be skimmed, why would I want to let someone else hold it. True I can pay cash, but then I lose service because I don't carry cash and it's an inconvenience for me to withdraw, so I lose willingness to tip.
    I do also understand the bar doesn't want people walking out in tabs, wondering the legality or moral parts of it.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If its a dive in Forest Lawn, no .... cash only, but at a nice bar DT - whip out the black card and forget it.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Remember i forgot my card at a bar (I was to drunk to remember i used it)

I had no idea i even used it, they charged me 25% of the tab and told me 2 pick it up the next day..

I think its only the nightclubs downtown that take it anyways. I'm assuming the might run it first to see if its valid?

I very rarely use my card at the bar when i run out I usually just pay the fee to take out money, but I think they are suppose to see your ID + card and then they hold on to your card?

I'm assuming this is how it's suppose to work?
    Last edited by Kobe; 10-03-2015 at 11:12 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Kobe
    Remember i forgot my card at a bar (I was to drunk to remember i used it)

I had no idea i even used it, they charged me 25% of the tab and told me 2 pick it up the next day..

I think its only the nightclubs downtown that take it anyways. I'm assuming the might run it first to see if its valid?

I very rarely use my card at the bar when i run out I usually just pay the fee to take out money, but I think they are suppose to see your ID + card and then they hold on to your card?

I'm assuming this is how it's suppose to work?
    What kind of bars are you guys going to? I pay my bill at the end of the night anywhere I go. Never gave to "give them my ID or credit
    Cars". Do they also ask you to leave your ID at the bar when you go to a restaurant?

I could see them pulling that at clubs but a bar?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

The only place i go on occasion where this happens is Shanks south.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ yea shanks north doesn't do that either. Last time I was there it was a huge group and they kept track of an individual tab the whole night for each of us

Maybe you guys just all look shady as fuck

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Try being white. Helps a lot with situations like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Try being white. Helps a lot with situations like this.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Originally posted by killramos

What kind of bars are you guys going to? I pay my bill at the end of the night anywhere I go. Never gave to "give them my ID or credit
    Cars". Do they also ask you to leave your ID at the bar when you go to a restaurant?

I could see them pulling that at clubs but a bar?
    You must not get out much, it's not uncommon at bars/clubs that are big, super busy, tons of people etc. and that will actually let you open a tab (actually most will require cash).

Of course, your neighborhood pub/restaurant will let you pay at the end of the night. Shanks too, its a low key pub, not a giant club with people doing rails off the toilets.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by revelations
    If its a dive in Forest Lawn, no .... cash only, but at a nice bar DT - whip out the black card and forget it.
    You got a centurion card?

Gotta ninjastar throw that shit to the backboard for dramatics...
    Last edited by Zhariak; 10-04-2015 at 01:24 PM.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Pre-auth what you think you'll spend, tell server to warn you when you are getting close, if they say no... go somewhere not geared towards 18 year olds

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by ercchry
    Pre-auth what you think you'll spend, tell server to warn you when you are getting close, if they say no... go somewhere not geared towards 18 year olds
    Every place I go to now requires CC and DL, it's sooo annoying.

I miss the old days where you could request a pre-auth. I've asked the last 20 times at different places if they could do a pre-auth, and they say no, that they need the card/ID...

Scared shitless, but what can you do. Thankfully I've never had my card duped...

My Ride
    Toyota’s

I think people are confusing opening a tab with eating a meal/happy hour.

If it's Tuesday, the place isn't super busy, and you're settled into a table for food and a couple rounds you'll probably just pay at the end like any other restaurant.

It it's Friday night and there's 500 people bumping shoulders and you're probably going to end up walking around at some point expect to be asked for a credit card. National, Craft, Local, Hudsons all do this. I actually can't think of any times where I haven't faced that since starting university way back in '08.

Pro tip, in university my buddy had an old credit card that wasn't active anymore that he'd give them to open the tab then at the end of the night we'd just split the bill and pay with proper cards then.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Mine gets skimmed 2-3 times a year, only thing that affects me is not having a card for a few days (not really a big deal) and redoing my recurring bills that i have on it... trying to remember last time i did bottle service in the states... think they just pre-auth'd it and all i had to do was sign the bill at the end of the night, and min charge was like $1k or something. Cant stand going out to night clubs here so haven't had this issue for years

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by ercchry
    Mine gets skimmed 2-3 times a year, only thing that affects me is not having a card for a few days (not really a big deal) and redoing my recurring bills that i have on it... trying to remember last time i did bottle service in the states... think they just pre-auth'd it and all i had to do was sign the bill at the end of the night, and min charge was like $1k or something. Cant stand going out to night clubs here so haven't had this issue for years
    Setting up the re-occuring payments is such a pain in the ass when the card gets duped... Biggest piss off...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by birdman86
    I think people are confusing opening a tab with eating a meal/happy hour.

If it's Tuesday, the place isn't super busy, and you're settled into a table for food and a couple rounds you'll probably just pay at the end like any other restaurant.

It it's Friday night and there's 500 people bumping shoulders and you're probably going to end up walking around at some point expect to be asked for a credit card. National, Craft, Local, Hudsons all do this. I actually can't think of any times where I haven't faced that since starting university way back in '08
    I go out at least once or twice a week on average, all over the city depending on the mood or what our plans are for the night.

I haven't had any of those places pull that with me once, I don't care what day it is Friday, Saturday, stampede, Christmas, Canada day.

Again how fucking sketchy do you guys look and act when you are at the bar

As I mentioned I don't go to clubs, at least not in the last 6 years.

fact.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I usually give my DL or Visa as collateral when they ask, but that's very rare, if it's a packed bar or club, sure but.... maybe 1/5 times does that happen. I pay my tab (or our tabs I should say) with whatever, debit for me, and I get my DL back and we're off. No biggie there. Most times I'm there with a group and the server just keeps the tab running individually, we pay and that's that.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"