Quantcast
Miss Universe, Canadian First Nations, Using her new found voice. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Miss Universe, Canadian First Nations, Using her new found voice.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default Miss Universe, Canadian First Nations, Using her new found voice.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...ote-for-new-pm

When Ashley Callingbull Burnham entered Miss Universe Canada — her first pageant — she was met with jeers like “What will her talent be? Drinking Lysol?” The sexual abuse survivor won second runner-up and silenced her critics. Now, five years later, the Edmonton-born Enoch Cree woman is Mrs. Universe — the first Canadian and first First Nations woman to win the title of an international pageant that judges contestants on their advocacy record rather than their bikini catwalk (though they only qualify if they’re married). The 25-year-old was crowned in Minsk, Belarus, this weekend. She spoke with the National Post’s Sarah Boesveld.

Q Your win comes amidst a federal election, the first real conversation Canada has had about murdered and missing indigenous women and not long after Idle No More. Do you link the attention you’re getting with what some might call a wave of momentum on these issues?

A I’m not going to lie, I was hoping I’d win, so I’d be able to address all these issues. Obviously it was a plan of mine if I did win, that I’d be able to use my voice to bring attention to all these things affecting First Nations people and I wasn’t sure how much attention I would get from competing in this pageant. If I was just still a university student, I didn’t do any pageants or I wasn’t an actor, no one would listen to what I have to say about murdered and missing aboriginal women. They wouldn’t care. People don’t expect a pageant girl to go out and say really crazy things right off the bat. They probably just expected me to have a title and be pretty and that’s it: be pretty and shut up. But I’m not going to shut up.

Q One of your first moves Monday was to encourage First Nations people to vote in this election and elect a new prime minister. People don’t expect that from a beauty queen.

A Some people are like ‘Oh my god, your first day and you’re being so political.’ Some people are really taken by it. The ignorant had a lot of things to say about it. But I’ve got more supporters than anything, because it’s something that needs to be addressed and needs to be talked about.

Q Why do we need a new prime minister?

A First Nations people are always put on the back burner. Our issues are never important. I’ve talked to a few politicians and they’ve all said that to me.

Q Politicians of all political stripes?

A A few of them have said that to me. It drives me crazy because we are the first people of Canada. We are as important as anyone else.

Q I see your mom is also a beauty queen.

A Yeah! Actually, she was inspired by me. She’s been through everything I’ve been through with the abuse — she’s personally been through more. She’s a very strong woman: She battled cancer, she lost my baby sister and she used to be 300 lbs and she lost a lot of weight healthfully. She wanted to do something for herself to make her feel better about herself because she’s been through so much hell.

Q A lot of people have qualified their congratulations by saying “I’m not a fan of pageants, but…”

A I was watching an interview out of Edmonton and they were talking about me — one girl was really praising me and the two other girls were saying they don’t like when girls are judged, but they were judging me and the pageant. This pageant is much different from Miss Universe: We are not judged in swimsuits, we are not physically judged on our appearance. Even the whole final night when we wear an evening gown, the winner is already pre-chosen.

Q But come on — you’re beautiful. You don’t get judged at all on looks?

A For the pageant? No. A lot of the girls … I don’t want to make this sound bad, but if you look up the girls who competed, you’ll see physical appearance doesn’t matter.

Q The whole ‘Mrs. Universe’ thing sounds kind of retrograde on the face of it.

A Well, it’s funny because I didn’t think a lot of people were going to care that I’m in a Mrs. Pageant. But I’m sorry! I fell in love with someone and got married! A friend showed me this pageant — at first I said ‘No way,’ but I looked into it and went for it. My mom won Mrs. North America and she said it’s completely different — all the girls make friends, they don’t try to sabotage you.

Q You signed on as well because of its mandate to raise awareness about domestic violence. But your win has also been upheld as something that could help battle racism against aboriginal people in Canada. Did that surprise you?

A A lot of people are praising me, like ‘Yes, we’re finally being recognized for who we are.’ A lot of people don’t expect me to be up there and have a title because I’m First Nations. That’s how stereotypical society is and how racist it can be. I’m still experiencing some of that racism on some of my posts — some people are saying ‘I’m not a real Canadian,’ which is silly because if anything, I’m a real Canadian.

Q If you could have represented the First Nations community in your title, would you have?

A Oh hell yeah. It just sounds better. Or “Mrs. Indigenous Universe.” That’d be something really cool.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Yes, because we all cared what Mrs. Universe thought to begin with, congratulations on reinforcing the fact that I should continue to ignore it.

My Ride
    Axis powers

She won the Mrs. Not Miss Universe pagent
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I KNEW there had to be hot natives.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I KNEW there had to be hot natives.
    Rare, but worth searching out.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Wow good for her.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 09-01-2015 at 10:25 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Yes, because we all cared what Mrs. Universe thought to begin with, congratulations on reinforcing the fact that I should continue to ignore it.
    Yea, the fuck is she thinking? Trying to get more dialogue around First Nations issues... what bullshit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I thought the most interesting thing said in that quote was:

Q If you could have represented the First Nations community in your title, would you have?

A Oh hell yeah. It just sounds better. Or “Mrs. Indigenous Universe.”
    Kindof puts a bit of a stamper on her line just above it about being a "real Canadian". Canadian when its convenient to be, but identifies with First Nations first.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by killramos
    I thought the most interesting thing said in that quote was:

Kindof puts a bit of a stamper on her line just above it about being a "real Canadian". Canadian when its convenient to be, but identifies with First Nations first.
    That is what you find primarily and fundamentally wrong about the presentation of her statement?
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by R154

That is what you find primarily and fundamentally wrong about the presentation of her statement?
    I find the concept of "Canadian when its convenient" quite disturbing yes

There are a lot of things you could pick out of her little interview but i don't really feel like breaking it apart.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Silverado

It's not worth it. Let her have her 10 seconds and we can all move on and forget she exists.

Most missing and murdered indigenous women were murdered at the hands of indigenous men. Many are being pimped out and drug addicted because of their involvement with indigenous gangs.

Perhaps the indigenous community needs to start looking inward before insisting that the PM or RCMP "do something".

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by sputnik
    Most missing and murdered indigenous women were murdered at the hands of indigenous men. Many are being pimped out and drug addicted because of their involvement with indigenous gangs.

Perhaps the indigenous community needs to start looking inward before insisting that the PM or RCMP "do something".
    I am pretty sure I have also read that the RCMP's own statistics on %'s crimes solved, convictions served, don't even deviate from the national averages. IE the RCMP solve the same % of missing women crimes of aboriginal women as they do everyone else.

It just turns out that for "some reason" there is a disproportionate % of missing aboriginal women cases. Which isn't a reason for a national inquiry. I think the reasons are pretty damn obvious though it would be politically incorrect to state them.

Another " Canadian when its convenient ". Aboriginal communities largely have their own police forces which employs largely aboriginal members to investigate and prevent these crimes. Which is something they always wanted.

But now they want the rest of Canada to put them in the spotlight with a national inquiry? What do they think that's going to accomplish?

/rant

I know better....

fact.

Interesting.

My question wasnt meant to be an attack. Moreso an ironic rhetorical quip.

Good for her for winning.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

So shes mad at Harper because he makes the (many) corrupt bands show their finances ?

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by revelations
    So shes mad at Harper because he makes the (many) corrupt bands show their finances ?
    Give them all that money and they don't want you to know what they are spending it on while their people are living in squalor. Absolutely disgusting. It is all the white mans fault though you see.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ clearly.

If I had her "voice" I would have talked about how internal corruption, failure to place blame within the res was a common cause for their afflictions. The white man didnt abuse her when she was young, in fact the white man gave her a platform.
    Last edited by revelations; 09-02-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Hey lady, you belong to a conquered people. In just about every other case, your whole "people" would have been enslaved or killed.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but rather human nature.

Originally posted by killramos
    Another " Canadian when its convenient ".

I'm just surprised she didn't manage to slide a reference to the residential schools in there. That's Harpers fault too right?
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast