Quantcast
Suburbanites are Gonna Suburbanite! - Cuts to CBE Bus Service - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Suburbanites are Gonna Suburbanite! - Cuts to CBE Bus Service

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Suburbanites are Gonna Suburbanite! - Cuts to CBE Bus Service

Was reading through this article and man does the mother quotes sound like an imbecile.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ents-1.3211824

Earlier this year, the Calgary Board of Education replaced several regular bus stops with a handful of so-called "congregated bus stops" in a bid to balance their budgets.

Calgary Board of Education to reduce bus stops and routes
    But Kim Hall says she's out thousands of dollars after she had to pull her twin boys off their bus route because the closest congregated bus stop is eight blocks away — one of only three in the entire community of Royal Oak.

Lisa Davis, head of the Calgary Association of Parents and School Councils
    Lisa Davis says the Calgary Association of Parents and School Councils has been inundated with complaints. (CBC)

"They would be trudging through a field. It's crossing a main street which is busy with traffic, and then crossing a number of side streets," Hall said.

Hall will now drive the two sixth-graders and then pay for before-and-after school care.
    First things first she literally lives in the middle of nowhere. And is upset about getting her kids to school? Oh noes i will have to drive them to school and pay for someone to watch them.

2nd of all she has 2 kids in grade 6. 12 year olds. 12. Who she says cannot cross a street or a field?

wtf is wrong with people.

When I was in grade 6 I would ride my bike 5 km to school in the good times of the year.

Grade 7 I was walking 15 blocks to school in a third world country not knowing how to speak the local language.

I knew people in grade 6 who were doing VERY adult things in their free time. let alone crossing a street.

/rantonpussificationofsociety

Am i just out to lunch?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

Anyone wanna bet she has this haircut

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Grimace

Oh it is stupid. People you know, can research homes before buying and see where the schools are. Maybe it would be best if the bus picked them up from home. Before and after school care also in Grade 6, I am pretty sure I was staying home alone before I was 12...

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Default Re: Suburbanites are Gonna Suburbanite! - Cuts to CBE Bus Service

Originally posted by killramos
    Was reading through this article and man does the mother quotes sound like an imbecile.

First things first she literally lives in the middle of nowhere. And is upset about getting her kids to school? Oh noes i will have to drive them to school and pay for someone to watch them.

2nd of all she has 2 kids in grade 6. 12 year olds. 12. Who she says cannot cross a street or a field?

When I was in grade 6 I would ride my bike 5 km to school in the good times of the year.

Grade 7 I was walking 15 blocks to school in a third world country not knowing how to speak the local language.

I knew people in grade 6 who were doing VERY adult things in their free time. let alone crossing a street.

Am i just out to lunch?
    You nailed it.

She moves to the middle of butt-fuck-nowhere and then complains about both the lack of services provided to her and the expense when those services are less than perfectly tailored to her life (location, schedule, etc). On top of that, she's raising two sheltered, sure-to-be-winners if they can't walk 5 blocks and cross a street on their own at 12 yo.

I bet she complains that their participation medals aren't shiny enough too.

OT - where did you go to school for 7th grade? Third world? For realz?

Lol fuck that picture is hilarious

Can't cross the street at age 12? Lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ection-promise

It's the NDP's fault.

Seriously though, 2.4km is nothing. The CBE's actual distance limit is 5km, and our kid's stop is now 4.8km away, right at the limit. We drive him to and from, but that's the choice we made sending him to an inner city school where it's closer to where his dad lives.

This isn't a suburb problem though, even in inner city where kids are getting bussed, they're walking further because of the reduced number of stops. What I don't get is how does reducing stops save money? The pickup and drop off times haven't changed, so bus drivers aren't working any extra hours.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Come on Sam, the bus stop is just over there.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by schocker
    Before and after school care also in Grade 6, I am pretty sure I was staying home alone before I was 12...
    I'm pretty sure times have changed, and that you'll probably go to jail and they'll take the kids away if you did that today.

Originally posted by J.M.
    Can't cross the street at age 12? Lol
    It's true. That's why Jr. high schools are now in playground zones too, because we're apparently raising a bunch of fucking retards.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by rage2
    I'm pretty sure times have changed, and that you'll probably go to jail and they'll take the kids away if you did that today.
    That is probably true

I don't get it either, I am assuming many parents living near each other, perhaps car pool on different days, get the kids to walk together. Unless of course, there are the only two children going to school in royal oak.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Re: Re: Suburbanites are Gonna Suburbanite! - Cuts to CBE Bus Service

Originally posted by you&me

OP - where did you go to school for 7th grade? Third world? For realz?
    Lived in a small town in Brazil for 2.5 years ( from right after grade 6 to start of grade 9). My dad was managing finances for a chemical plant down there.

Went to a local "international school" to learn the language, socialize, stay active, while simultaneously doing Alberta curriculum grades 7 and 8 through ADLC. Pretty tough couple years.

As far as Brazil goes the town was pretty safe ( though with the local drug trade at the time the state i was in was quoted to have more annual assassinations than Gaza). But there was still shit you got to see that no one wants to.

I am always skeptical of people who call south America "modernized". In some places sure. But get outside of the nice districts of the biggest cities and things go pretty downhill from there.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by P_D
    Anyone wanna bet she has this haircut

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    What's even more entertaining is that we all know that there's beyond members that fit the moulhd that everyone's making fun of including having a wife with a doo like that, but they'll remain silent out of fear.
    Last edited by speedog; 09-02-2015 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    93 integra

Am i just out to lunch?
    no you are just part of the minority that remembers times when people weren't pussies...the new generation is horrible.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you're worried about how your kids get to school, try living near a school. That's not rocket science.

Living in Royal Oak is proof you don't love your children.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

RO has an elementary and will have a middle school next year. Not sure where she takes her kids. The high school is in Arbour Lake and you can walk to it, biking to it is extremely easy.

Having talked to a certain CBE trustee, the #2 money-drainer in the CBE is busing.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I have been saying this for years. If you are going to procreate, get to neighborhoods with schools. Building new schools are a waste of tax payer's money.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    If you're worried about how your kids get to school, try living near a school. That's not rocket science.

Living in Royal Oak is proof you don't love your children.
    You realize that it's impossible for every single family with kids to live beside a school right? There are a finite number of schools, and a finite number of houses near a school, even in *gasp* inner city.

Elementary schools and Jr high schools aren't close to each other either, so do you expect families to move when the kids have to change schools? What happens if you have 2 kids, and one goes to Jr high while the other is still in elementary?

I know you're half joking, but still wanted to point out the flaw in your argument.

Default Re: Re: Suburbanites are Gonna Suburbanite! - Cuts to CBE Bus Service

Originally posted by Xtrema

I have been saying this for years. If you are going to procreate, get to neighborhoods with schools. Building new schools are a waste of tax payer's money.
    Dude, CBE's utilization rate is in the high 80%s (basically this means that each grade can take in 2-3 more kids during the school year). Even if everybody could've afforded to live in an overpriced inner city shithole, the CBE would've had to build new schools.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 08:24 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    In this city, you're not a "genius who loves his kids" if you happen to live near a school. You're just lucky.
    This. Bought my place in suburbia years ago before I even had a thought of having kids. 4 blocks for 2 schools up to grade 9, biking distance to high school (or a 20 min walk). Luck of the draw haha.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Re: Suburbanites are Gonna Suburbanite! - Cuts to CBE Bus Service

Originally posted by suntan
    Dude, CBE's utilization rate is in the high 80%s (basically this means that each grade can take in 2-3 more kids during the school year). Even if everybody could've afforded to live in an overpriced inner city shithole, the CBE would've had to build new schools.
    And before anyone brings in the "inner city schools are empty", those are the ones with the longest wait list and lowest lottery chances.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast