Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 3 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: .

Voters
284. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people have already been laid off but there will not likely be anymore layoffs

29 10.21%
  • Yes, people have already been laid off and there will probably be more layoffs as well

128 45.07%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet but there will likely be layoffs in the coming months

16 5.63%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet and likely will not be any layoffs

96 33.80%
  • I WAS laid off, but have since found other employment

15 5.28%
Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 3

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Voted #1 - midsize producer - mass layoffs jan / march led to stress free summer if they lay anyonen else off we will have to start shutting fields in with this skeleton crew

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 10:33 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by Cos
    Had a nightmare I was getting laid off along with my whole department a couple nights ago. However really really unlikely to ever see any layoffs here and if there are, I should be quite a bit from the bottom. There is some concern though that with O&G slowing down a lot, our revenue streams are going to start falling next year (1 year contracts so usually have time to ride things like this out) but it isn't looking great.

Regulated utility company.
    I had a dream I got laid off last night too! Damn this economy

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Over 40% of Canadian staff have been laid off in 2015 - Large Oilfield service company.

I predict a small number of additional cuts in October.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    G6

Small to midsize producer. We've done targeted snipes here and there and not renewed some contracts, but that's it so far. I expect more to come after the budget cycle.

My Ride
    RSTi

Drilling rig capital equipment/service company. Manufacturing is pretty much completely dead with exception to international markets. We've been very lucky on service in Canada as our biggest customer is still ramping up through this shitshow so as long as they stay busy we will too.

I also deal with a bunch of rigs in the middle east so my 3am phone calls continue to come in as usual haha.

My Ride
    TL

attitudes are at an all time low. TC provided me a consulting company that is paid for to transition employees into a new role (i.e encana, transcanada, cnrl are all part of it) and going to these meetings, people are so depressed it just brings the overall morale down.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by dandia89
    attitudes are at an all time low. TC provided me a consulting company that is paid for to transition employees into a new role (i.e encana, transcanada, cnrl are all part of it) and going to these meetings, people are so depressed it just brings the overall morale down.
    I went to one of those. Just went to the tax session and that's it haha.

A PM position I applied for got rescinded due to "further news of continued down turn in the economy"

My Ride
    Bicycle

Headcount has be reduced by 25% since beginning of the year and looks like at least another 10-15% to go as nobody got $ for projects and continue cost pressure on ops.

IT Service Company.

This one is getting worse than 2009.

My Ride
    SRT Charger

Non O&G structural steel is as busy as I've seen it over the last 20 years. We've hired staff at every level over the last 6 months. Never been laid off, never worried about being laid off. Every time there is a down turn in the energy sector I am thankful l that I chose job security over $$.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Voted #4. Business as usual here, major pipeline company.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
    Yes and Yes; O&G midstream. Prevous resposne in Part 2 was No/No.
    3 peeps were cut in my group a few months back...one in my current position and one in my previous position, thankfully still employed but at risk fo sho. No benefit cuts or anything like that...but definitely some reduction in expenditures.
    summed it up Pretty good. Except instead of 3 peeps it was more like 10 for me that was cut in my group.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:42 AM.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Originally posted by Perfect Dark
    Drilling rig capital equipment/service company. Manufacturing is pretty much completely dead with exception to international markets. We've been very lucky on service in Canada as our biggest customer is still ramping up through this shitshow so as long as they stay busy we will too.

I also deal with a bunch of rigs in the middle east so my 3am phone calls continue to come in as usual haha.
    You still with Academy?
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

Originally posted by kaput
    Downtown condos are sure taking a beating. I've seen some do 2 price drops now and still aren't selling. There are two upper floor 2 bed 2 bath units in Colours asking low $400's. I think they would have been mid to high $400's a year ago, but I don't have the sales history to confirm. That would reflect much more than a 10% drop if I remember correctly.

I was surprised to find out that TCPL just hired an engineering friend to work for them as a contractor. I wonder if their trying a strategy to shed employees and use contractors at reduced rates and casual hours to keep functioning with minimal commitment.
    Actually it's because a new apartment tower just went up right beside Colours obstructing the east facing view and you're losing plenty of privacy. Also, both of those units have a "bedroom" without a window, so technically one bed + den. They shouldn't be asking for much more than 400K even in a boom.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by kaput

I was surprised to find out that TCPL just hired an engineering friend to work for them as a contractor. I wonder if their trying a strategy to shed employees and use contractors at reduced rates and casual hours to keep functioning with minimal commitment.
    Depending on how they put the value on employee's time. When I used to worked for one of major O&G, employee's time is priced at $120/hr.

Right now I'm sure plenty is willing to contract under that rate. Contractors now are more flexible and cheaper than employees.

I'd be curious what kind of contract work is billing out 20k monthly that people are 'settling' for per month assuming 40 hour weeks?

My Ride
    RSTi

Double.
    Last edited by Perfect Dark; 09-02-2015 at 11:07 PM.

My Ride
    RSTi

We got merged with another company about 5 years ago, still in the same shitty yard though haha yeah.
    Last edited by Perfect Dark; 09-02-2015 at 11:10 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

As a contractor, companies don't have to shell out pension, benefits, bonuses so they prefer that.

I'm sleepy.

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast