Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 3 - Page 67 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: .

Voters
284. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people have already been laid off but there will not likely be anymore layoffs

29 10.21%
  • Yes, people have already been laid off and there will probably be more layoffs as well

128 45.07%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet but there will likely be layoffs in the coming months

16 5.63%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet and likely will not be any layoffs

96 33.80%
  • I WAS laid off, but have since found other employment

15 5.28%
Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 57 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1412

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 3

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by dandia89

i always suggest people to go to U of A or waterloo to participate in the co-op program. it offers a chance to do 4 month terms with different companies and build a way massive network than one 16 month internship. I may be unique, but I had a 16 month internship at a smaller company, by the end of my term the company got acquired and removed all employees I knew so I had no connections to get back at that company.

summer terms are a lot tougher unless you have a relative in the company or extremely high GPA (which I never did)
    UVIC has a co-op program as well. No doubt it benefited me, however it screwed some people over. It was mandatory and if you're not able to secure all 16 months of co-op, they prevent you from graduating on time. It can be a double edged sword if you don't interview well/don't have great grades.

My Ride
    Z

I did the 16mo at u of c. I think you learn more but maybe don't make as many connections as 4 short ones. In 4 months you barely learn what your job is, nevermind getting into more in depth tasks. Regardless, everyone should do some form of co-op or internship.

You get help getting the job and it knocks off that 'no experience' stigma. Usually pays well too. I would not have gotten my job without internship even though it wasn't the same company or market segment. Counts for p.eng experience. You'd have to be an idiot not to haha
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

As does UofA, memorial, and UBC and UofC does in the 16 month internship.
    I think some form of co-op or internship is available from pretty much every engineering school.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

is it possible for newly grad Petroleum Engineering to switch industry? I have over 20 months of coop experience but no luck so far in last 8 months...

My Ride
    Bicycle

i always suggest people to go to U of A or waterloo to participate in the co-op program. it offers a chance to do 4 month terms with different companies and build a way massive network than one 16 month internship. I may be unique, but I had a 16 month internship at a smaller company, by the end of my term the company got acquired and removed all employees I knew so I had no connections to get back at that company.

summer terms are a lot tougher unless you have a relative in the company or extremely high GPA (which I never did)
    My cousin was in a similar situation. 16 month term at a startup and planned to go back but company went under and sold before he graduated.

I don't think 4 months term will teach you anything. 8 month term seems to be perfect length.

Originally posted by trickyone
    is it possible for newly grad Petroleum Engineering to switch industry? I have over 20 months of coop experience but no luck so far in last 8 months...
    Been a while but isn't Petroleum similar to Chemical, just more focused? May be look into downstream/refinery type of jobs in Alberta but I bet it could be better out in Ontario where they have bigger mfg base.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-15-2015 at 04:24 PM.

I think you would be hard pressed as a petroleum eng to do much other work. As suggested above I would look at downstream as job potentials.

Petroleum is similar to Chemical in year 2 and partially 3, but most of the classes are specific to petroleum (drilling, production, petroleum fluids, Nat gas eng, etc)

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Construction is the industry to be in

Originally posted by lasimmon
    I think you would be hard pressed as a petroleum eng to do much other work. As suggested above I would look at downstream as job potentials.

Petroleum is similar to Chemical in year 2 and partially 3, but most of the classes are specific to petroleum (drilling, production, petroleum fluids, Nat gas eng, etc)
    I have been applying to pipeline and distribution engineer positions, all i get recruiter ask me some questions but never get call back for actual interview from client back probably they can find more experienced person

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    Construction is the industry to be in
    I do have one year experience with PCL but unfortunately they have hiring freeze, do u no anyone in construction ???

My Ride
    TL

I have been applying to pipeline and distribution engineer positions, all i get recruiter ask me some questions but never get call back for actual interview from client back probably they can find more experienced person

I do have one year experience with PCL but unfortunately they have hiring freeze, do u no anyone in construction ???
    if you're getting pre screened and they DON'T phone you back for an interview, you're doing something wrong.

i'm betting you're scaring them off with your salary expectations or something else. go google some sites and figure out how to answer those questions.

My Ride
    FB6

^

I think he's talking about "recruiters" as in head hunters. Head hunters always ask first, then say they'll get back to you.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by realazy
    ^

I think he's talking about "recruiters" as in head hunters. Head hunters always ask first, then say they'll get back to you.
    that makes sense. i've had a recruiter back when i wasn't working straight up tell me to stop calling him(i think i called him twice a month), that i'm wasting my time and his, and i'm not gonna get a position through them. it was awesome and a little disheartening, sometimes you need to realize that avenue is not the right one

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

One option wrt co op that a lot of people overlook is that you can get the equivalent experience to a coop but not extend your degree by being diligent in getting summer work. ie: working 3 4 month summer terms = 12 months of work experience.

It should be noted that anything more than 12 months of intern experience before graduating does not count as experience towards p eng. (so if you take 16 months only the first 12 count. You also need to make sure that you start your coop after your "5th academic term" ie you need to do 1 term of third year before starting coop or it doesn't count. I knew some people who had this happen to them and they missed out on half of their coop experience. Not a huge deal, but something to know.

Personally I did the 3 terms of summer work and completed my degree in 4 years path. Which had me working 1 year earlier than people I went to high school with who did coop. Also it gets you 4 months ahead on your peng as it allowed me to half 16 months of eligible experience( 1 year plus 1 summer term) when the rest of my friends graduated who only had the max 12 months of pre grad experience. Also one year further along on the pay scale if that matters to you.

Just food for thought, the way I did it was definitely in the minority where I went. 90% went coop. Coop is definitely easier as I had to take extra courses to make up for the lack of one academic term that the coop students had.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

if you're getting pre screened and they DON'T phone you back for an interview, you're doing something wrong.

i'm betting you're scaring them off with your salary expectations or something else. go google some sites and figure out how to answer those questions.
    lol I am working as a security guard these days to pay bills, if i m offered a engineering position on minimum wage i will happily accept it bcoz i no i can get a p.eng after few years.

All these recruiter belongs to requirement companies like adecco.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

lol I am working as a security guard these days to pay bills, if i m offered a engineering position on minimum wage i will happily accept it bcoz i no i can get a p.eng after few years.

All these recruiter belongs to requirement companies like adecco.
    When the recruiter asked you questions, was it through email? Were you required to type a reply?
    I like neat cars.

Originally posted by 90_Shelby

When the recruiter asked you questions, was it through email? Were you required to type a reply?
    Telephone interview...

My Ride
    G6

Telephone interview...
    That really went right over your head.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by 90_Shelby

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Definitely the easiest way to turn a person away from you as an applicant.

But what do i know i don't even know how too use the word to properly
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

You guys realize that a lot of companies right now when they are hiring are getting hundreds of applicants, doing maybe 20 - 30 phone interviews and bringing in 10 or less people to interview in person right?

I have chatted with about 5-6 companies that are hiring and all were following this process essentially.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by killramos

Definitely the easiest way to turn a person away from you as an applicant.

But what do i know i don't even know how too use the word to properly
    Nor punctuation

Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 57 66 67 68 ... LastLast