Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 3 - Page 58 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: .

Voters
284. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people have already been laid off but there will not likely be anymore layoffs

29 10.21%
  • Yes, people have already been laid off and there will probably be more layoffs as well

128 45.07%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet but there will likely be layoffs in the coming months

16 5.63%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet and likely will not be any layoffs

96 33.80%
  • I WAS laid off, but have since found other employment

15 5.28%
Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 48 57 58 59 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1412

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 3

You're thinking about it in the short-term. Infrastructure takes time to build. Sooner or later it needs to be built, it SHOULD be built. It just does.

Right now companies aren't exactly clamoring to spend money. Our Gov't should NOT be hamstringing the ones that ARE willing. ESP> in Canada.

There is no question that all the eggs in one basket is not a good strategy. I am not saying I dont agree.

With that said, instead of standing on ceremony and believing that we can live in an idealistic wet dream, lets deal with the reality and stop crushing what little hope we do have for coming back strong.

What is really killing us, is that our 3 MAJOR industries are all simultaneously in the toilet for the energy sector.

Mining, Drilling and NG. This basically has never happened before.

Oil will come back, there is no question. The reality is, good Canadian companies are being bought for pennies on the dollar by american conglomerates and money is flowing out. We are all bleeding regardless of the fucking statistics.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I thinks out of XL, Gateway, East, XL and East make sense.

Gateway is terminated at wrong spot IMO.

XL got torpedoed by environmentalists. Nothing you can do about that.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-20-2015 at 12:44 PM.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I thinks out of XL, Gateway, East, XL and East make sense.

Gateway is terminated at wrong spot IMO.

XL got torpedoed by environmentalists. Nothing you can do about that.
    Environmentalists are scapegoats. This is about competition and market share.

Pipeline would have been built by now if oil was going to be $130 forever. Some of our in house analysts are convinced we will never see $100 oil again, in 2012 dollars.

Lets face reality. The prices we are reminiscing about were due to Iraq, Iran, Sanctions. War. Chinese growth.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Economically and what's best for Canada's bank account to me is Gateway. Environmentally I'm still really iffy on it. Look at the Nexen's pipeline spill that should be state of the art (completed 2014). Pipeline > Rail. We need to get it to market. Then there is the issue of getting it onto tankers and out into the ocean safely.

I can completely sympathize it's not a knee-jerk decision to make. I definitely see your point, R154, and it's a very valid one to consider.

Completely off-topic but I didn't know this was the followup with that incident: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...leak-1.3208303
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

Originally posted by msommers
    Economically and what's best for Canada's bank account to me is Gateway. Environmentally I'm still really iffy on it. Look at the Nexen's pipeline spill that should be state of the art (completed 2014). Pipeline > Rail. We need to get it to market. Then there is the issue of getting it onto tankers and out into the ocean safely.

I can completely sympathize it's not a knee-jerk decision to make. I definitely see your point, R154, and it's a very valid one to consider.

Completely off-topic but I didn't know this was the followup with that incident: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...leak-1.3208303
    They shut them in because of documentation, not because they were unsafe. Unfortunately Nexen (at the time) have the ability to show the AER documents from construction showing that the cause of the leak was not a risk for other lines. So it wasn't the follow-up. The result of the investigation is still ongoing.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by spike98

They shut them in because of documentation, not because they were unsafe. Unfortunately Nexen (at the time) have the ability to show the AER documents from construction showing that the cause of the leak was not a risk for other lines. So it wasn't the follow-up. The result of the investigation is still ongoing.
    Thanks for the info
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers

Thanks for the info
    NP

I can't say how i know but i can tell you its coming from a source very close to getting them on track.

From what I've seen, some of the people let go at transcanada were poor performers or redundant staff.
    Last edited by vw_rabbit2.5; 11-24-2015 at 11:35 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

I heard that Longview Systems laid off a couple of staff today, anyone know the approximate count?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by taemo
    I heard that Longview Systems laid off a couple of staff today, anyone know the approximate count?
    IT service provider, regardless of which, has laid off at least 25% since beginning of the year.

Some already sold out like Graycon to Ricoh Canada and Metafore to CompuGen. A lot of redundancy in those cases and they prefer to keep cheaper staff out east. Longview has been able manage it internally because it's private. But anyone on bench that cost a pretty dime will be let go if they are not billing.

It's really not that different than EPCM. Budget cut, IT dollar get stretched out/delayed = less project = less work. As a service provider, all you can hope for is that companies willing to laid off staff and outsource ops to reduce cost and get a piece of that action.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by taemo
    Asked my buddy who is there about it over beers last night and he said he hasn't heard anything like that. So if there was anyone let go it was quiet and small. Likely not really a layoff but performance in that case.

My buddy is benched right now in between assignments as well and he didn't get axed
    Last edited by killramos; 11-25-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Got clipped today, sanjel, they let go over 50% of their staff so far and are putting frac crews on forced vacations until mid way through January.

If anyone knows of any SCM or process/change management roles, let me know

Silver lining, no more 100 hour work weeks
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

We brought on 3 new people last week / this week (project planner, document control, and a project engineer). Apparently they're also in the process of sifting through resumes for another control systems engineer position.

He said even though our online system filters out probably half the resumes, they have over 500 resumes that made it through to sift through as well as are receiving over 50 resumes a day. Kinda crazy, but at least we are bringing in a few people for some of our projects so that is a good sign.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by finboy
    Got clipped today, sanjel, they let go over 50% of their staff so far and are putting frac crews on forced vacations until mid way through January.

If anyone knows of any SCM or process/change management roles, let me know

Silver lining, no more 100 hour work weeks
    Sorry to hear man.

Question though, how does a company go from needing you for 100 hours a week to not needing you at all?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    06 Avalon

work coming in might be a lot less.. during the winter break, there is not that much work happening I imagine?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Shift work for 24 hour coverage, truthfully the role was killing me, but it was a paycheque
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by killramos
    My buddy is benched right now in between assignments as well and he didn't get axed
    Combination of cost, value and whose ass he well kissed. If anyone costs less than $60K/yr and has a bit of experience/certified, it's worthwhile to be benched. Anyone cost more than that and not billing, it won't be hard to to be let go.

My Ride
    TL

ATCO going through layoffs

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...t-say-how-many

Some reports said more than 400 people were affected by the layoffs. Ackroyd said the company — which has a workforce of around 9,000 — would not have any further comment.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Originally posted by dandia89
    ATCO going through layoffs

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...t-say-how-many

I've got two buddies from separate offices that got laid off yesterday. One of them was told 500 people going, the other was told everybody hired since August 2014 or something like that.

Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 48 57 58 59 68 ... LastLast